Is this normal? - 6 Key Holder (PICTURES)

1. BACKGROUND: I purchased an Armagnac 6 Key Holder (online) as a way to introduce myself to Louis Vuitton. I have been using it every day since January 12th, 2018 (21 days).

ISSUES: When I received it, the first thing that I noticed is that it had a very strong chemical-like smell. It was so strong that it gave me a headache (the smell still lingers). I chalked it up to it being new and I hoped that the smell would wear off soon.

The button was the second thing that bothered me. I started to notice wear on the button within the first 2 weeks, but I didn't start documenting it until January 25th (the first picture). I wasn't too worried about it until the wear began to look worse and worse.

Unfortunately, I did a further inspection on the key holder (today), I noticed some "cracking" on the corner of the flaps and some "fraying" along the edges.

THE IRONY: I actually wanted the Monogram Rose Ballerine key holder, but I refrained from purchasing it because of the potential button issues.

MY QUESTION: Is this normal (or am I overreacting)? What would you all suggest?

Thanks in advance!

January 25th.jpg This photo was taken on January 25th, 2018.
    LV Key Holder 3.jpg LV Key Holder 4.jpg LV Key Holder 5.jpg LV Key Holder 6.jpg These were taken today, February 2, 2018.

2. You can go to your local LV store and they will change the button for you. It will be free of charge and they most often can do it on the spot.
    The split in the glazing at the jointure is normal.

BULL, Bags_4_life and sunkissedpride like this.
  3. :wave:

Is it normal in this amount of time? A crack? It seems incredibly quick since purchase, it’s only been a couple of weeks.
    I really wonder about the quality of newer pieces. I bought a vintage 6 key holder 3 years ago which is from ‘96, the year is special to me as it’s when I met my husband. It has lots of wear but the press stud was better than this when I bought it, I had it replaced and 3 years later it still looks better then this.

I love this piece (I have a vintage black Epi 6 and a Vernis 4) and am really tempted by the Rose ballerine, but knowing the wear on those studs, I could never bring myself to buy one. Just because the repair is free, doesn’t mean I feel like going through that hassle on a regular basis or put up with it looking so worn in the meantime.

4. I don't know how to delete a comment. Haha.

5. Thank you for your advice @fabuleux! I am not familiar with Louis Vuitton's policy, so your help is appreciated!

Per your advice, I will take it to the LV store soon (and I will update this thread with the outcome).

I wasn't sure if this was common wear/tear or if I should actually take it in.

6. It's not a crack or a defect. It's the way it's supposed to be. The glazing is applied over the jointure of the two pieces of canvas and then it splits when the flap opens and closes. Does that make sense?

Bags_4_life likes this.
  7. They may exchange the item altogether. Good luck and please update us!

sunkissedpride likes this.
  8. :wave::wave::wave:

Amazing stories like yours are why I wanted to give LV a try!

I thought the 6 key holder would be a good place to start, however, it doesn't appear that I have such luck. I may have been better off purchasing a vintage item as well.

I also purchased a Key Cle in Damier Ebene and thus far, I am not impressed. I am not sure if I even want to invest in the brand if the quality is no longer there.

.......I'm hoping that I just purchased some duds.

9. Ah, okay. Sorry about that. My calling it a "crack" may be misleading and causing confusion (I didn't know what else to call it, haha). I wasn't informed regarding the normal wear on this item.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

10. Ah yes, I dug out my mono and looked closely, I get it. Fab, I must say that for a while now I’ve thought a “Bow down b#£ches” emoji should be created to reply to many of your posts, as a simple “like” is not enough!

Sun kissed... I’m sorry your lv journey hasn’t started out great. I bought my first piece in 2000 and haven’t bought much new in recent years so I feel like I’m learning like a newbie about what currently being produced. I can say that vintage items were made perhaps when lv weren’t producing in such high numbers like they are currently and that seems to have affected the quality recently. I hope you get a good resolution at the store and that this doesn’t put you off altogether.

sunkissedpride likes this.
  11. B5E5BEAB-4949-47EA-B51E-2244AFABDA86.jpeg 54E4E961-DCAA-447F-A9C7-CD913289B74E.jpeg

Zoom in on the same area on two of my 6 key holders. The Epi is from 2003 but stitched differently.

christinemliu and sunkissedpride like this.
  12. Phew! I'm glad to hear that the "wear and tear" at the flaps/corner is normal! I thought my item was already falling apart, haha.

Thank you so much for inspecting your item! It is really appreciated as I have nothing else to compare it to.

I'm planning on purchasing SLGs from some other companies to get a feel for their craftsmanship, then I will decide if I want to invest in a more expensive item. I value quality, so I may end up going the vintage route anyway. ;)

Thanks again for your help and well wishes! I look forward to updating this thread with some good news soon!

P.S. I think you should go for the Rose Ballerine key holder. I sure wish I had done that instead, haha! :lol:

Bags_4_life likes this.
  13. UPDATE: I visited the Charleston, SC location today and they ordered a replacement button to be put on next week.

The SA said that my experience wasn't normal and that the button should only show wear like that years in, not weeks.

Thanks for your help, @fabuleux @Bags_4_life !

Bags_4_life and fabuleux like this.
  14. I’m glad to see you also have a smell issue I bought my first new wallet and it stinks in a weird way. I was worried I got a fake but the seller has 100 percent reviews and I came here for evidence of stinky LV items.

15. :lol::lol::lol:
    (Either way i would have that item authenticated)

GaladrielDelabois and JadaStormy like this.