Workplace Is this insult acceptable?

I don't know what the laws are where this person lives or whether this company has a policy regarding workplace harassment/bullying but that's where I'd start. Without an HR dept, I'd go to the jerk's boss but I don't know from this post if the jerk is at the top of the food chain in that company.

If the jerk does not report to anyone, I would calmly, but assertively, talk to him about this and tell him I will not tolerate being treated like that. We have laws here that would protect me though so I would not be worried about backlash.

I once reported a situation to the labour board and the offending jerk could not even look me in the eye after that.

That's why I suggested a meeting of sorts. One person going to him to complain could be canned. Several people making the same complaint would be more effective.

I don't know what the laws are where this person lives or whether this company has a policy regarding workplace harassment/bullying but that's where I'd start. Without an HR dept, I'd go to the jerk's boss but I don't know from this post if the jerk is at the top of the food chain in that company.

If the jerk does not report to anyone, I would calmly, but assertively, talk to him about this and tell him I will not tolerate being treated like that. We have laws here that would protect me though so I would not be worried about backlash.

I once reported a situation to the labour board and the offending jerk could not even look me in the eye after that.
It is exactly what I would do. I am speechless how crule, rude and disrespectful people can be. I am forein and was in this situation few times before many years ago. It does hurt for sure. I did not do anything because I was scared to loose my job. Time did change for me and today I would rather starve, but I would never allow any jorke to get away with that.

OP tells me this jerk IS the boss and the owner of the company to boot.
I wonder if this is something the ACLU can get involved with?

Well, depending on the labour laws where this person is, I would probably still talk to his a$$hat but since the employee was described a timid or similar, if it were me, I may have someone from the company sit in on the meeting with me. It's a difficult situation.

What do the Human Rights laws say about workplace discrimination/harassment where this person lives?

Depending on the laws, how well I liked working at this company (NOT VERY!) and how easily employable I was, I may try to get another job ASAP and upon leaving this company tell the jerk exactly why. Depends on how afraid to speak up for myself I was.

Last edited:
I was just thinking aloud and that was rhetorical. What I was meaning was that I would check out all the various laws and take those into account when deciding what to do.

I'm not in the US but I understand that the US has "at-will" employment where we do not so what I would do based on laws here, is not necessarily the same. Again, I'd advise this person to check out all laws and policies if this company has any and then decide what to do.

I was just thinking aloud and that was rhetorical. What I was meaning was that I would check out all the various laws and take those into account when deciding what to do.

I'm not in the US but I understand that the US has "at-will" employment where we do not so what I would do based on laws here, is not necessarily the same. Again, I'd advise this person to check out all laws and policies if this company has any and then decide what to do.

:yes:

I'm utterly confused by the idea that that email could lead to an EEOC issue or ACLU issue. People put up with much worse.

It might help you all to know that this boss has a history of being insulting and verbally abusive. I believe it is a small office with a handful of employees.

This I know from speaking to the OP about past issues.

I'm utterly confused by the idea that that email could lead to an EEOC issue or ACLU issue. People put up with much worse.

The employee can use that email as evidence that he's being discriminated* against (seriously, you don't see the issue in that email!?) because of his race, then it's very easily an EEOC case.

ETA: The discrimination is that his work is being more closely scrutinized and criticized, therefore hurting any career growth.