Is this cracking normal? Will is just get worse?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I've wanted a tote for a while now, but can't seem to find the right one. I know the gst is "the" Chanel tote, but somehow it's just not for me.

So when I chanced upon a "chain me" tote on sale, I jumped on it! I couldn't believe my luck! I was beyond excited and couldn't wait to see her.

She arrived yesterday, and I do love the style, however the bag isn't in the best condition. The bottom of the bag has a bunch of dents, which actually don't really bother me too much. I can live with them. But there's a great amount of cracking as well. I don't know if that's normal attributed to the distressed style of the bag or if it will just continually get worse. I tried to do some research - do the metallic on the bags eventually peel off with no way of repairing or refinishing?

Now, I don't own any pearlized/metallic pieces so I have no experience with this sort of material. Any light fellow tpfers can shed is much appreciated. Would love to know how this material fairs over the years.

I've attached a couple of photos below. Thank you! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391102033.695171.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391102046.944301.jpg

2. That would really bother me. Is the damage only on the bottom?

3. It would really bother me as well!!

4. Hmmm the cracks look serious enough. U should check with your SA

5. I don't know if this is normal or not but this will bother me too.

6. Whoa. I'd grab a bottle of leather lotion and apply some pronto lol. It's like dry skin or lips. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. But if you're troubled by the dents and the wrinkly appearance, perhaps you could return the tote to the seller?

7. #7 Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    I won't accept the bag in that condition! Too much dents and crack hairlines for me to handle. :nogood: I hope you get back to your SA and demand for some explanation! Hope things will work out for you!

8. So all the damage is at the bottom? Maybe you can treat the bag? One of my pet peeves is when a tote starts to sag from wear or weight of items. That really bothers me as I could get a hobo style if I wanted that. The cosmetic dents are a bit bothersome. What have you decided?

9. I think so but the rest of the bag had that distressed look so I dunno if the fate of the bag is to look like that eventually. I took a couple of pics w and wo flash. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391354824.191559.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391354841.323235.jpg

10. I did check and she simply said that I could return it if I wasn't happy w it...

11. I'm not too troubled by the dents, actually. I'm just worried that the wrinkly appearance will get worse.

12. Thank you. I did contact the SA and she said I could return it if I choose to do so.

13. I noticed the obvious damage on the bottom. I did attach a couple of pics showing the rest of the bag. I don't have any distressed or metallic bags so I don't really have a point of reference.

I don't mind the dents too much. Just worried for the cracking nature of the bag. I'm not a hundred percent sure but I am pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and return it. :sad:

14. That's great news! Let us know how it turned out! ;)

15. That creasing, wrinkling thing is what that particular leather does and will do the more as you use it. It won't peel, just wrinkle where the leather is manipulated by you.

It doesn't really bother me, but obviously some people prefer leather that doesn't show any use, like pristine caviar.