Is this considered "smart casual?"

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
I've booked a table at Petrus London for my husband's 30th birthday. Unfortunately, before embarking on this vacation I didn't bother packing any formal clothing. The dressiest item I have is this studded dress but in grey:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=49547002

I'm worried that this wouldn't be dressy enough for this restaurant. If so, I'll have to run out and buy something dressier.

What do you think? Is this ok for a smart casual dress code at one of London's best restaurants? TIA!

Women can get away with a lot more than men as long as they've made an effort, in my experience. If you're generally well put-together, you would probably get away with even jeans - I've certainly seen women in dark-coloured jeans with nice tops at dinner, even at some of the stuffiest of nice restaurants here. I think the dress will be just fine.

I hope you have a fantastic time! :smile:

EDIT: having said that....while I don't imagine that you'd have any trouble getting into the restaurant, you should bear in mind that most other women present will probably be wearing something more dressy. If you think that might make you uncomfortable or self-conscious, then you might wish to reconsider the dress.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input! The restaurant's website does say that smart jeans are acceptable, but realistically I'd feel way too uncomfortable to wear jeans there, especially for dinner. Hubby will be in a full suit, so hopefully I don't look or feel underdressed.

Women can get away with a lot more than men as long as they've made an effort, in my experience. If you're generally well put-together, you would probably get away with even jeans - I've certainly seen women in dark-coloured jeans with nice tops at dinner, even at some of the stuffiest of nice restaurants here. I think the dress will be just fine.

I hope you have a fantastic time! :smile:

+ 1

esp with killer heels & the right accessories!

Smart Casual really is just code for no jeans, no t-shirt, no logo-wear, no statement t-shirts, no running shoes... etc.
Since you're going to London, here's a link from The Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2021625/Fashion-life-How-crack-smart-casual-code.html

That Is superb definition of smart casual. I'd say in London at least a tantalising low cut top is ok for dinner (not so low cut as to allow breast feeding though) but a mini mini skirt is not the best choice. It is a remnant from the days when ladies used to 'dress' for dinner in country homes. The dress code would be longish dresses and décolletage. Of course nowadays in a smart restaurant you can wear whatever you like and is unlikely you'd be turned away. There is still an underlying culture though of what is suitable and what isn't. Iam always amazed how much things vary from place to place. In LA I ve seen ladies with short shorts (and terrific legs) In a posh restaurant in Thailand I was politely informed that my Chanel sandals were unsuitable as they showed my toes! (My beautifully pedicured toes!!!!):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I am a transplanted Londoner and I agree with what LadySarah posted above. I am not sure what length the dress falls on you but you could always consider adding a nice fitted blazer and heels to your look.