Is this bag interview appropriate?

jblended

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
Mar 17, 2019
I'm a small bag person; I usually carry camera bags or small crossbodies. However, last year I needed a bag to take to job interviews, and my requirements were that it would have no visible logos and be large enough to carry flat copies of my resume within. I'm not used to buying totes or briefcases so I found myself feeling lost.

The SA assisting me at the time convinced me that this quilted DKNY bag would be perfect. It was on sale and I've since used it for interviews. The leather is buttery, the logo is barely visible, and it certainly holds my resume copies comfortably, but I wonder now if it is too casual for the intended purpose.

I'd love other people's opinions on it. I'm not sure if I should replace it with something like a briefcase with more structure when the economy picks up and I'm interviewing again.

I've attached pictures but the bag is more clearly displayed on an old listing on The Outnet:

dkny quilted tote.jpg

dkny quilted tote 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JenJBS
I'm a small bag person; I usually carry camera bags or small crossbodies. However, last year I needed a bag to take to job interviews, and my requirements were that it would have no visible logos and be large enough to carry flat copies of my resume within. I'm not used to buying totes or briefcases so I found myself feeling lost.

The SA assisting me at the time convinced me that this quilted DKNY bag would be perfect. It was on sale and I've since used it for interviews. The leather is buttery, the logo is barely visible, and it certainly holds my resume copies comfortably, but I wonder now if it is too casual for the intended purpose.

I'd love other people's opinions on it. I'm not sure if I should replace it with something like a briefcase with more structure when the economy picks up and I'm interviewing again.

I've attached pictures but the bag is more clearly displayed on an old listing on The Outnet:

View attachment 4788677

View attachment 4788678

I think it depends on your profession but this seems formal enough for most interview circumstances. You might need a briefcase if you interview at a very conservative environment like a law firm.

Reactions: jblended
I am a lawyer and even in the conservative law firm environment briefcases are no longer de rigeur. This one is fine. But if for whatever reason you do not feel comfortable with it or more generally with a big bag (and you should always feel confortable with what you wear to a job interview), maybe you can consider carrying one of your camera bags and a smart document-sized clutch for your papers instead?

Last edited:
I like it very much, it doesn't stand out in any way and the vertical lines give it some interest. Does it have feet on the bottom? That might be the only upgrade(s) I'd make since at interviews you can't know where they'll have you place your bag. Def. avoid briefcases - they're very passe. Your bag is a solid choice for most places imo. I used to use this bag for interviews.

f79608_svbk_a0.jpg

Reactions: jblended
Brilliant! Thank you all for the replies! :smile:

I thought it was perfect initially, and I really do like it as it's quite understated. Plus the quality is great!
For some reason, I started second-guessing myself; perhaps because I'm so unused to holding larger bags and they often look very casual when I see women walking around shopping in malls with their totes...
I just wondered if I'd made a bad call and figured this would be the right place to ask.

It's great to have some objective input and I'm relieved I won't need to replace it. Thanks again. :smile:

Oh and...
@tulipfield Semi-formal work environments, not a law office or anything like that, so on second thought, a briefcase would actually be the wrong choice and make me stand out in the wrong way.
@ccbaggirl89 Yes, it has feet at the bottom. Also, love that Coach!

But if for whatever reason you do not feel comfortable with it or more generally with a big bag (and you should always feel confortable with what you wear to a job interview), maybe you can consider carrying one of your camera bags and a big and smart document-sized clutch for your papers instead?
I tried that initially- a small flat crossbody with only the essentials, and a black leather document pouch (something from the Coach men's line but I can't recall the name) for extra copies of my resumes in case the interviewer didn't have it printed out and ready.
However, I found myself feeling clumsy with the document pouch and ended up holding it on my lap during the interview, not knowing quite where to set it down. I would prefer to have all my documents in a bag that I can tuck under my chair, leaving my hands free during the interview.

View attachment 4788677

View attachment 4788678

I think it's great for an interview, and not to casual at all. Just enough to say you're not high maintenance. That you care about practicality, not showing off.

Thank you all. I'm so glad I got second opinions on it. I feel much more confident using it now. :smile:

Now just waiting for the world to normalize so that I'm able to attend an interview again! :P

Reactions: Mariapia