Is this a normal wear and tear ?

Bettinas

Feb 10, 2013
Dubai
So my friend showed me her speedy ebene today that she got less than one year ago, she has been using it almost everyday.
I was in chock when I saw the handles and she asked me if I could ask you TPFs if this has happened to your speedy or any other ebene bag ?

Attachments

Surreal25

May 1, 2014
Well, that's scary! Seems like something got on it, like hand sanitizer or fingernail polish remover.

smfjs

O.G.
Apr 28, 2009
So Cal
Yes, it looks like it's from lotion or santizer. If it is, it's normal wear and tear. (Not a defect) she can try putting brown shoe leather polish on it. You can get it at Target or Walmart. I use it to polish corner scuffs on my ebene pieces.

babydau

Jan 10, 2014
Oahu, Hawaii
So my friend showed me her speedy ebene today that she got less than one year ago, she has been using it almost everyday.
I was in chock when I saw the handles and she asked me if I could ask you TPFs if this has happened to your speedy or any other ebene bag ?
I have an alma bb with the same style handles, which I used everyday for 4 months straight.. but my handles do not look like that.
I think you should tell your friend to take in to LV and inquire.
HTH

Feb 23, 2014
Midwest USA
I am so sorry this happened to your friend's bag!

I would not try to treat it / repair it myself. Rather, I would take it to an LV boutique as soon as possible.

Good luck! :smile:

BarbAga

O.G.
Aug 15, 2009
Looks like hand sanitizer to me. I would still take it in and see what they say. Looks like something ate the sealant.

mrsinsyder

Mar 8, 2013
Florida
I have DE Speedy 35 from when it first came out, in 2006 or so. I treat that bag so badly... and the handles look brand new. I say not normal.

Jul 3, 2006
Yep - looks like hand-sanitizer to me as well. LV considers that "user-abuse," and repairs aren't covered. She'll probably need to pay for new handles.

deb68nc

O.G.
Jul 23, 2008
NC
There's an "urban myth" about hand sanitizers I've heard from dr's so basically your just rolling around dirt on your hands into your skin along with the sanitizer...It kinda makes sense. Your better off carrying wipes atleast you toss them after your finished if your out and about and can't get to soap and water..

JadaStormy

Jan 23, 2012
houstatlantavegas
Yup, it's normal based on the habits of the user. (Oils in the hands, sweat, lotion and etc.)

The best way to avoid this is not to hand carry the bag, or limit it. My bag from 2011 looks perfect and I only carry it in the crook of my arm.

She can definitely pay for new handles to make it like new!