Is this a "forever" piece? Advice pls!

jellybebe

loves pink!!!
O.G.
Jan 26, 2007
I stumbled across this M Missoni camel coat online. It was 50% off and the last one, and it sounds like it will fit with room for a sweater underneath. I think 50% off is a great deal, but the coat still wasn't cheap. My closet is overflowing so I have been trying to get more picky about my purchases lately. Do you think this coat is a worthwhile investment piece that will last for years, or do you think it's too trendy and that I should return it? I personally find the colour and shape classic but am unsure of the knit detailing, which is why I need your help! I have not seen the coat IRL yet either.

Attachments

• mmiss2006112408_p1_v1_m56577569832003047_254x500.jpg
    mmiss2006112408_p1_v1_m56577569832003047_254x500.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 376
I think camel is a classic colour, and the length of the coat is great too. However, I think you're right to question that knit detail on the arms. I don't think the knit can hold up to years of constant wear, especially the areas near your wrists and elbows.

Does the photo show dolman sleeves? I can't really tell, but it looks like the sleeves do not connect right at the arm pit. If they are dolman sleeves, I think that would really put this coat out of "classic coat" territory.

As is, this coat is too fashion forward for me with the different sleeve detailing. But if this suits your style, and you wear it sparingly, it could last you years. Good luck with your decision!:smile:

I think there are some people who seem to be able to make just about anything work.

For most though, I think there are several features that make this not a forever piece. I am curious what other types of coats you have, or what void you are trying to fill with this purchase. Also, does camel and the shape of that coat personally suit you and your body type?

I tend to lean towards classic pieces, but still allow myself a limited amount of fun/not-so classic pieces. Everyone is different, and although that coat wouldn't catch my eye, I think if you already have enough "forever" coats and this piece sings to you and the price is reasonable then you should get it. If you don't have the basics or other versatile coats that you love then you should definitely skip this and get those first...........That's it, didn't mean to write a book lol.

A camel coat is a classic and the only thing I think that you're questioning is the detailing which is all about your preference so I can't tell you what to do. Do you think you'll wear it a lot? I also think you should think about the fact that your asking other people because you're unsure about the purchase. Since that is the case I think it would make sense to return it if you think you'll regret keeping it.

I agree that if I am asking other people's opinions, I probably do not think the coat is a forever piece. And thank you to those who brought up the shape of the sleeves - I think they are dolman so not necessarily the best sleeve for my silhouette (inverted triangle). I appreciate everyone's comments and I think this might have been an impulse purchase.

Camel is a classic color, but the knit and cut of this coat is not classic at all, IMO. That doesn't mean it isn't cute and that you might not get a lot of wear out of it. But if you are looking for a good long-term piece to add to your wardrobe, I don't think this is it.

Hi Jellybebe -- I tend to agree with the others. It doesn't quite make it under the "Classic" category for me. Perhaps more like "classic with a trendy twist," which is a category that I usually tackle *after* I've already acquired the basic classic. Using trench coats as an example -- I bought a classic Burberry trench first, then I bought several trendy (and cheaper!) variations of the trench style afterwards.

On the other hand, if you absolutely adore this piece and think you'll get a lot of wear out of it, then that supercedes all of the above. :smile: