Is This a Flaw With My Grey Birch Willow Floral Nomad - Or Am I Missing Something?

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
In early February I bought the Grey Birch Willow Floral Nomad 55543 at the outlet but I have not worn it yet, I decided to save it for Easter. It has been sitting quietly in its dustbag on a shelf in my closet.

But I was also very attracted to the matching willow floral fob 56721 that was clearly made for this bag. I love the way that the fob continues the spray of flowers down from the handle.

Unfortunately, the fob costs $145 and that's a lot of money for a decoration, I would rather put that money toward a bag. I have been waiting for the fob to show up at the outlets but no luck and Easter is coming. You can still order the fob at Full Price from Coach online, even though it is no longer displayed on the website. But I had the opportunity recently to add the fob to another PCE purchase and get the full 30% discount so I decided to go for it.

The fob came today and it is beautiful but I've made 2 disappointing discoveries. First, the dogleash clip on the fob doesn't fit around the bag's hardware - and it seems to me that when you design an ornament that is clearly made for a specific bag - you ought to make it easy to wear it with that bag! So, I've attached it to the hangtag cord and it looks fine.

But I also had another surprise. While this bag has been in storage for less than 2 months, small air bubbles have formed all over the surface of the dark gunmetal hangtag. There were no bubbles when I got it, but now they can be seen on the front, back, and sides.

I wondered if the hangtag is protected with plastic cling? But I don't see a way to peel it off - do these tags have a protective coating and is there a way to remove it without damaging the hardware? I am afraid to use a sharp pin for fear of scratching the surface.

It's hard to take photos of the dark, shiny hangtag but you can clearly see the problem in the pics below. And it looks even worse in real life. The pics below were taken today and it looks all spotted! The last pic was from the reveal on Feb 5 and there were no bubbles on the hangtag then!

Should I ask Coach for a new hangtag? Is it likely that they will give me one that is right for this bag? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Hangtag001.jpg
    Hangtag001.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 525
  • Hangtag004.jpg
    Hangtag004.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 529
  • Hangtag005.jpg
    Hangtag005.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 544
  • teaser_002.jpg
    teaser_002.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 554
It looks like the plastic protective covering is still over the hangtag - does it peel off? Mine had a "sticker" like that over it and I was able to peel it off.... it looked just like that before I removed it!!

I just used my fingernail to slide under the end of it, but not sure what you can do if you're worried... maybe take it to the store and ask?

Reactions: ildera5
I haven't found an edge to peel it and I was afraid of damaging it, but if they came with plastic covering, I will try and get it off.

I haven't found an edge to peel it and I was afraid of damaging it, but if they came with plastic covering, I will try and get it off.

It IS a plastic film -- I don't remember it being a problem when I removed mine (they just put that film on the shinier hangtags because fingerprints will show so easily). Maybe you could use Scotch tape or another strong tape and place it over the film and pull it off that way?

I am relieved to hear that it is a plastic film but I still can't get it off. I've just tried soaking the hangtag in hot water but that just made more bubbles!

I have removed protective plastic from hardware before with no problem but so far I have only managed to chip off a few tiny flakes; it feels like I am trying to remove a layer of varnish! I am really afraid that I will damage the surface of the hangtag.

I have removed protective plastic from hardware before with no problem but so far I have only managed to chip off a few tiny flakes; it feels like I am trying to remove a layer of varnish! I am really afraid that I will damage the surface of the hangtag.

Use a strong tape like duct tape.
Look for an edge and line them up that way.
If that doesn't work, try leaving in in the sun home for a little while to warm up. Hopefully more bubbles will appear and you can find an edge.
Good luck

Reactions: katev
Use a strong tape like duct tape.
Look for an edge and line them up that way.
If that doesn't work, try leaving in in the sun home for a little while to warm up. Hopefully more bubbles will appear and you can find an edge.
Good luck

Did you see my suggestion of trying to lift it with Scotch tape, or like Murphy47 said above, trying duct tape?

Reactions: ildera5 and katev
I tried tape and duct tape without any luck and I have used the hair dryer and hot water to warm it up but that didn't work. Right now I am working it off with my fingernail bit by bit after soaking it in alcohol for long periods. I tried nail polish remover but it didn't do much. I may have to learn to live with the bubbles on the back side of the tag because this is tedious work!

Something happened to this tag, it is like the film has been baked on, I don't mean to make a big deal about it but I want to share in case someone else has the same problem. I was afraid of damaging the tag at first, but I will keep working on it, thanks!

Attachments

• Hangtag006.jpg
    Hangtag006.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 480
  • Hangtag007.jpg
    Hangtag007.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
I tried tape and duct tape without any luck and I have used the hair dryer and hot water to warm it up but that didn't work. Right now I am working it off with my fingernail bit by bit after soaking it in alcohol for long periods. I tried nail polish remover but it didn't do much. I may have to learn to live with the bubbles on the back side of the tag because this is tedious work!

Something happened to this tag, it is like the film has been baked on, I don't mean to make a big deal about it but I want to share in case someone else has the same problem. I was afraid of damaging the tag at first, but I will keep working on it, thanks!

Do not worry about making a deal of it.. This is what the forum is for to share... Have you gone to the store to see what they can do?

Reactions: couchette and katev
Mine had a removable film, but it was a rubbery cling type. I double-checked my tag just now, and there are no chips or bubbles. I would be so sad, I love this bag, possibly my favorite of all my years of Coach.

Reactions: katev
Do not worry about making a deal of it.. This is what the forum is for to share... Have you gone to the store to see what they can do?

Mine had a removable film, but it was a rubbery cling type. I double-checked my tag just now, and there are no chips or bubbles. I would be so sad, I love this bag, possibly my favorite of all my years of Coach.

Thank you.

Mine did not have the rubbery plastic cling sheet that peels off easily. The layer that was showing bubbles was more like a hard enamel or shellac. I am sure that it was not supposed to be removed - but I am also sure that it shouldn't have had bubbles, either. I got it off by using rubbing alcohol and gently working at it with my fingernail - it was a tedious process - but I have to say that the gel nail polish really stays on great!

I didn't take it to the store because I got it at the outlet and I don't think that many of these bags are still available. They would probably just offer a refund but I don't want to give her back! I may ask my favorite SA about it the next time I am at the boutique, I'd like to get a new tag, but the dark gunmetal nomad tag is rather unique so that may not be possible. The tag looks great now, but I am worried that it will tarnish or scratch easily since I have removed that protective layer, but I hated the bubbles so I am happy for the moment!

I love this bag too and I'm really looking forward to carrying her; I don't think that I can wait until Easter!