Is there one "must have" fashion bible/reference/textbook?

JamesKeenan

Sep 1, 2008
Hopefully someone can help me out here...

My name is Michael and Im basically fashion illiterate. Anyway, a friend of mine is going to school next semester for fashion and her birthday is coming up. Its on the 8th of September. Is there one book that every fashionista should own when one gets serious about said topic? Is a book a decent gift? I was planning on getting her a book and packaging it with a coupon for a meal for two at any fast food establishment of her choice.

Oh, and Im also girl illiterate. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Im going to scan Amazon.com for a while. Ill check back here soon. Thanks again!

Telling a girl she can get whatever she wants as long as its off the dollar menu isnt romantic? She could get like 3 spicey chicken sandwiches, 2 fries, a soda, and an apple pie!

Honestly though, thanks for the help. Ive known this girl for over a year but have only been "seeing" her for the past two months. Im not over spending/under spending am I?

41CBP9NR19L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

So far after using Google and Amazon for 10 minutes, this book has come up the most. Anyone looked at it?

Last edited:
Well it just so happens that I am a recent fashion grad. There really is no "ultimate" book about fashion. She is going to learn about so many different styles and eras that ultimately, the best thing you could give her in my opinion, would be a gift card to Amazon. When my husband and I started dating I was already a student and was doing a project on Carolina Herrera and so he got me a book on her, but that's only because I told him that I was working on that, and he got it from Amazon. I would go get a big box and put a Amazon gift card, and maybe a Starbucks card, cause she's gonna need LOTS of coffee, in the box and then wrap it all up in cute paper with a big bow. Just my thoughts..........;)

Find out if she likes Victoria Beckham first because you don't want to take a risk offending her. And if she likes her or her style then Victoria Beckham has a book out on the Do's and Don'ts of fashion. I'm a total fashionista so I should know that it's good. Plus I think it includes tips on make up and hair if I'm not mistaken. And no offense but DO NOT get her any card to a fast food place! I may not know her, but you don't want to come across the wrong way as cheap or whatever else. I'm not saying she's superficial, I'm just saying play it safe. Find out her favorite cuisine (or maybe you know this by now) and get her a gift card to that place. Or if she drinks Starbucks, a giftcard from there would be nice. You said that you guys have been dating for a month or two? Does she like movies? Do you? Maybe you can get her a gift card for the movies. She'll either decided to do a girl's night out and pick a chick flick which she'll appreciate that you thought of that or she might pick you...which then guarantees a date. I currently can't think of any other ideas for gift cards, but I think that's enough food for your thoughts tonight. :smile:

That first one sammydoll was amazing! I got to look through it and it's so inspiring! I wouldn't necessarily put my outfits together like the photos in the book, but it constantly gives me ideas on what to do next with my wardrobe.

Actually, after I thought about it, depending on what you want to spend, I would get her a subscription to WWD or Women's Wear Daily, she will need this all throughout her 4 years at college and it's so much nicer having your own subscription than having to lug yourself to the library everytime you need to look something up, or worse yet some other fashion student being at the library the same time you are and hogging all the issues. A subscription runs about $150 last time I checked but that was a while ago. Almost every paper that I wrote in college I was required to use WWD as a source, so this would really be a wonderful gift for her.

Actually, after I thought about it, depending on what you want to spend, I would get her a subscription to WWD or Women's Wear Daily, she will need this all throughout her 4 years at college and it's so much nicer having your own subscription than having to lug yourself to the library everytime you need to look something up, or worse yet some other fashion student being at the library the same time you are and hogging all the issues. A subscription runs about $150 last time I checked but that was a while ago. Almost every paper that I wrote in college I was required to use WWD as a source, so this would really be a wonderful gift for her.

I'm curious....I've heard of WWD but is it similar to other fashion magazines, or is it smaller, with no ads? Thanks :smile:

That is a great idea. You can get an online subscription, paper subscription or both:

http://www.wwd.com/subscriptions