Is there anything Hermès DOESN'T make!?

Just being wackadoodle here - why not offer interior design, using only leather? Hire someone like Peter Marino to fit-out your home? Dressing room in Barenia, anyone? Panic room in matte black crocodile? Bathroom in himalaya? Dining room in ultraviolet to stimulate the palate? Chartreuse cupboard doors in the kitchen? Rouge Garance in the bedroom. For him, Indigo in the office/study.....

Just being wackadoodle here - why not offer interior design, using only leather? Hire someone like Peter Marino to fit-out your home? Dressing room in Barenia, anyone? Panic room in matte black crocodile? Bathroom in himalaya? Dining room in ultraviolet to stimulate the palate? Chartreuse cupboard doors in the kitchen? Rouge Garance in the bedroom. For him, Indigo in the office/study.....

I actually just saw a modular leather wall decor called Module H - in a video on the Hermes Facebook page.

but I think the Wally mashup takes the cakes for embarassing ideas. Horrific! It kind of felt like a LVMH concept.

I actually liked the W.H.Y, although it felt more like a luxe house than a yacht. There are so many old fashioned and ugly yachts out there, the W.H.Y was something new and fresh. Minimalistic luxury as opposed to a blinged out nightclub or stuffy "opulent" hotel atmosphere.

wantitneedit said:

I believe H does offer this service, at FSH. You can have the interior of your yacht or private jet done in H leather and furnishing.

For the wide, wide gamut of products Hermès has made in it's history (a mega-yacht, or a giant stuffed panda anyone?), I've found it interesting that they don't produce eyewear. Sunglasses have always for me been a throwaway item in that they're fragile, easily misplaced and rather "frivolous" an item, but I find it odd that fine eyeglasses aren't part of their regular offering, or even occasionally as a seasonal product. I'm not sure that they haven't EVER made them (a google search wields a scary knock-off result), but I'm referring to a standard offering. I assume that it's something to do with a different strategy of "entry level" offerings to other luxury brands. :shrugs:

Are there any other items that you've noticed and/or are surprised that aren't offered by Hermès – designer brand "staples", fantasty items or otherwise?

Ha!! I thought about the sunglasses too! When I was looking for a new pair last summer.

For the wide, wide gamut of products Hermès has made in it's history (a mega-yacht, or a giant stuffed panda anyone?), I've found it interesting that they don't produce eyewear. Sunglasses have always for me been a throwaway item in that they're fragile, easily misplaced and rather "frivolous" an item, but I find it odd that fine eyeglasses aren't part of their regular offering, or even occasionally as a seasonal product. I'm not sure that they haven't EVER made them (a google search wields a scary knock-off result), but I'm referring to a standard offering. I assume that it's something to do with a different strategy of "entry level" offerings to other luxury brands. :shrugs:

Are there any other items that you've noticed and/or are surprised that aren't offered by Hermès – designer brand "staples", fantasty items or otherwise?

As others have mentioned, Luxottica and Marchon are pretty much the only two players in luxury-branded sunglasses. I thought H would try to buy Persol as it was an independent, but Luxottica grabbed them, too.

As for what H doesn't make, unfortunately they already make way too much, and I hate to admit that they're really sunk their hooks in me to the point where I often start looking for everything there. The only thing I find odd is they only make unscented candles. Given they're one of the few brands with an in-house perfumer, that is the only thing that surprises me.

Last edited:
You should watch the 60 minutes segment that aired last night in Luxotica, once you understand the company practices you'll understand why Hermes has stayed away!

Gosh, I didnt see the segment, but I can imagine. Please, H, do not go this route if sungalsses are on your "to do" list. My optician has been telling me for years that Luxottica quality is subpar on many manufacturing levels. To what degree I never particularly inquired, however, he always tried to deter me from choosing the Chanels or Diors as I always am so hard on them and they break so quickly. Of course, he does sell these in his store, mostly (like many businesses) to savour the demand of the public who want to flash their CC logos. However he always tries to steer me in the direction of other, more well-made designs (despite being perhaps a bit less "known"), but sometimes they are a bit too funky for me (wood frames for me??? Ummm not yet thanks). I have bought my own fair share of Chanels, Diors and Pradas in my time, mostly to quench my desire for "sparkles", but oddly enough none have lasted as long as my lesser known (and cheaper) Christian Roths....

I don't think the issue with Luxottica is the quality, but the fact that they've become such a monopoly. Not only do they supply most of the designer brands, they own all the major eyewear retail chains, as well as an insurance company which provides vision coverage. They've aggressively taken over EVERYTHING. Hermes would NEVER subject themselves to this, or risk being lumped in with lesser brands sold at the big chain stores, especially Sears and Target.