Is there any things I can do to restore this bag? Should I buy this bag?

Mar 27, 2008
Hello ladies,

I posted this in the authentication forum but I think my questions may not be appropriate there. So here I am again. Below is the link to the auction. The lovely seller also sent me extra pictures please see below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320353862916&sspagenam e=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&salenotsupp orted

Firts of all I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge of MJ bags. I am thinking of purchasing my 1st MJ and have been looking at MJ bags on Ebay then I saw this bag.

I LOVE the COLOUR and the style, but I am not too sure of the conditions of the bag. The handles look pretty bad, the interior is very dirty, also there is writing on the inside of the little zippered pocket :sad: I know a used bag is not always in great conditions ...
I don't know how to fix any of these & there is no MJ repair from my side of the world. Is there any thing I can do to fix/restore this baby? Is it worth it trying to save her? :wondering
BTW the starting price is around $200 US, the shipping cost I have to pay will be $35 - $60US
What do you ladies think? Your help/input is greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Attachments

• TurquoisezipperHead.jpg
    TurquoisezipperHead.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 52
  • mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Worn.jpg
    Worn.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 45
  • writing.jpg
    writing.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It is my understanding that MJ repairs only covers bags purchased within an 18 month period. Thereafter, it is out of warranty. My friend has an MJ that is cracking and peeling. Diego e-mailed her the above info. She purchased her bag in 12/06. I think some of the gals send their bags out to get a makeover. There are threads relating to this.
I only know about the MJ repairs warranty. Good luck with your decision!

Yum, spearmint Venetia!

Honestly, I've seen MJ bags in much worse condition. The corner rubs don't look that bad, and the outside looks good from the pictures. While the seam edging coming off is annoying and a little unsightly, it's not something that urgently needs to be fixed unless it bothers you. Since it's a hand-held bag, it may not be noticeable when carried. Other posters here have used suede cleaner on the interiors of their MJ bags with pretty good results. You could try cleaning the interior yourself and take it to a local repair shop to have the handles fixed up, which I imagine wouldn't cost too much.

$200 + international shipping is maybe a tiny bit expensive given the condition of the bag and current price trends, but not excessive (especially if you love it!). Perhaps do a search of completed listings to get a better idea of current prices?

i agree with fluganst; i've seen (and bought!) bags in worse condition ;) my wine stella was a bit more than that and it's pretty beat up, but i still love her. it's my NO FEAR bag - not much else can happen to it. hehe. however, it still looks good. :yes:

other ladies on here have used different paints to repair/cover worn corners, so you may want to look into that. i don't know about the handles...you may want even more detailed/close-up pics of the handles since they can crack.

i don't think $200 is a bad price, but i don't know if i'd pay much more than that unless it was a bag i REALLLLLY loved and was after.

let us know what you decide to do! spearmint is a great color and pretty hard to find these day! :yes:

Honestly, I would pass on this bag. $200 is still a lot of money to pay for a bag in this condition, MJ or not. I would save up a bit longer and put your money towards something a lot nicer, especially since this will be your 1st MJ.

I love spearmint! I have a Blake in this color and it's such a happy color and is surprisingly versatile. I think that the price is ok but only if you won't be bothered by the condition of the bag. To me the worst of it all are the handles. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

I wouldn't pay that much for a bag that soiled.
Actually, I wouldn't buy a bag in that condition,
but I know that others do as long as they get
a good deal for it. To me, anything over $100
would be too much for this bag.

I agree with missling. I would save the money
for something nicer--another Venetia will show
up, and prices are super low right now.

Seller obviously paid $299.97 for the bag, and I think $200 is way too much for a bag in that condition. After you pay for repairs, you'll have paid what the seller did!

Personally, I think that part where the leather is missing off the handles is the dealbreaker for me. One can hide interior damage, but everyone can see exterior damage. Also, the leather problems on the handle could get worse due to continued use. I say pass on this, the ebay gods will reward you for your patience. (lol)

A very big thank you to all of you ladies who had taken the time to post your thoughts and advices to help me on this thread! :heart:
I will ask if the seller would accept an offer from me. Otherwise I would pass on this poor baby and who knows the Ebay gods might reward me for my patience and send me my dream MJ bag. :biggrin:
You gals rock! Luv you all!

i agree with fluganst; i've seen (and bought!) bags in worse condition ;) my wine stella was a bit more than that and it's pretty beat up, but i still love her. it's my NO FEAR bag - not much else can happen to it. hehe. however, it still looks good. :yes:

other ladies on here have used different paints to repair/cover worn corners, so you may want to look into that. i don't know about the handles...you may want even more detailed/close-up pics of the handles since they can crack.

i don't think $200 is a bad price, but i don't know if i'd pay much more than that unless it was a bag i REALLLLLY loved and was after.

let us know what you decide to do! spearmint is a great color and pretty hard to find these day! :yes:

I asked the seller for more pictures of the handles (she is so patience with me!!) The damage is much more extensive than ijust the edge as it appears in the listing. I think it 's only a matter of time before the 2 handles "go". Sending the poor baby Internationally will definately "climatise" her and will cause further damage. It breaks my heart to see such a gorgegous bag with such condition.

I am not going to make an offer eventhough the seller has kindly allowed me to do so. It is better to keep my money for a decent MJ bag. I am sure my MJ will turn up soon enough.
I am saving all the tricks and tips from you gals for future reference. I love my bags, I really take care and look after them! (eventhough I don't have any designer ones just yet!)

I am very grateful for all of you out there who have made the "journey to my 1st MJ bag" a very pleasant and enriching experience. :hugs:

Attachments

• handle2.jpg
    handle2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Handle3.jpg
    Handle3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 32
  • handle4.jpg
    handle4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Handle1.jpg
    Handle1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I think you made a good decision Mad about Bags. Don't worry, a better deal on a Marc Jacobs bag is around the corner :flowers:. Personally, I would not want my first MJ bag to be a "raggedy fixer upper", one can not appreciate the awesomeness of a new or gently used Marc Jacobs bag.