Is There Any Such Thing As An Investment Bag?

i don't think they are investment. But it's true that they retain value.... When I sold my 10 years old speedy, I had 80% of it's value back.

I sold my 14 years old pochette for 100 € and paid her 130€, loved it for a long time, was too small for my actual needs.

I will never buy a luxury good for the resale price, you never know what will happen.

Reactions: InnAnni
I think this thread is very interesting!
I don't believe that most Louis Vuitton bags (or most Chanel and Hermès for that matter) could qualify as investment, because investments implies you would make a significant profit when you sell the bag.

In most cases, these designer bags will retain a (sometimes significant) portion of their value, which is nice when you resell: you can recoup some money. Although, with the overwhelming number of bags on the resell market, how many more years can this last? We'll see I guess.

Finally, a very few bags will indeed resell above their current retail value.

Real estate or stocks are investments. Handbags are goodies made to love and enjoy, and one day pass on to another soul until they end up in the trash down the road.

+1

Maybe in the sense that a good bag is an investment in yourself and your wardrobe, a good bag elevates an outfit and it could save money if you only buy one bag that lasts many years and stop buying crappy bags, but as a financial investment, no.

I do think people who bought Chanel flaps and Birkins back in the 80's and 90's ended up making some money but that ship has sailed since most luxury items are highly overpriced and pushing the boundaries of affordability, the most we can hope for now is getting close to breaking even. Better find something else to invest your money on.