Is there any rule about mixing reds?....or Calling All Stylists Out There!

prettychic

toute suite
O.G.
Oct 5, 2010
What would your stylist say?(those that have a stylist):sos:
or The Fashion Police?:police:

I am wondering if anyone ever heard about how many different reds you can wear at once without having them clash and look tacky. For example my SA said the rule is "two different red shades is a big "no,no".
icon11.gif
But, three or more is fine.
So if my birkin is rubis , I can wear or use SLG's that are different shades of red as long as I have two more different reds on me or in the bag at the same time.
:popcorn:

i enjoy a flashy red with a very deep (almost crimson red). Those are two reds and I'll wear them with my gold birkin and gold bangles and camel riding boots sometimes throwing a sunny jaune colored printed scarf (or solid) around my neck or shoulders :smile:

just my little thought :smile:

personally red is a stand alone color. the only time I believe it is appropriate for a mix of different reds is in a pattern. that being said reds that are just different intensities of the same color (undertone) is different than three DIFFERENT reds (ie orange, blue, pink toned reds)

I haven't heard of this red rule at all :shrugs:

But my personal opinion/stand is that I would never wear more than one visible red item. E.g. either red bag OR red top, not both together. They would be "too much" if worn together, I feel.

That being said, I don't give two hoots about the things IN my bag.. I will gladly use a red bag with a red wallet, red Karo, red card case, red phone etc.

I don't follow any rules, for me the most important thing is how to put them together. IMHO, mixing of bright colors(reds) can be very interesting and beautiful too.

There is a point in what your SA said, because if you wear, say, a red bag, and a scarf in a different red at the time, it can easily give the impression that you have not thought out your outfit well. When you add e.g. shoes in a third kind of red, it instantly makes it more balanced. Of course, all rules are made to be broken, but only when you really know the rules.

My advise is to have a dress-up-session when your alone at home, when you try on different outfits with different red pieces, and you'll quickly discover what kind of combinations please your eye :smile:

If you look at Hermes' scarves they mix all types of colours/tones that most people wouldn't put together. Zabavushka 01 has all manner of pinks and reds mixed together. Often wearing an off-beat pattern, in say a scarf, can 'state' that the colours/tones you are wearing else-wear are meant and not 'mistakes'. Couture collections also 'star' unusual colour/tones combos - it's not wrong it's a style statement.

Reds do mix (more easily than different blues IMO) but if you are not going for the 'stop the traffic' look stay to the one of 3 larger groups of reds.

Usually people will buy a shade that suits their colouring anyway so will only have one type of red anyway.

1. Pink-reds
2. Orange-reds
3. True-red (no orange/yellow or pink/blue undertones)

Stick to the above tonal tonal families and it won't matter if you go head-to-toe or add accents.

Speaking of mixing reds.....this might have been a complete flop.... but I recently went out of the house like this:sweatdrop: (RH nancy boots+RG kelly)

Attachments

• nancynruby.jpg
    nancynruby.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 205
I haven't heard of this red rule at all :shrugs:

But my personal opinion/stand is that I would never wear more than one visible red item. E.g. either red bag OR red top, not both together. They would be "too much" if worn together, I feel.

That being said, I don't give two hoots about the things IN my bag.. I will gladly use a red bag with a red wallet, red Karo, red card case, red phone etc.

I agree with this! Couldn't put it better myself. But this is just me. I don't think you need to follow other people's rules. Have your own rule! If you like the look of yourself in the mirror, why not go for it?

I think you have to rely on your "eye" as to what works together. I have a red jacket that matches my rouge vif courchevel Kelly exactly, and they look great together, so that throws my rule of two solid reds out the window right there. I don't think you have to match the red in a scarf pattern exactly to the red in your bag or clothing as long as they are complimentary.

The older I get, the less boring I try to be LOL!