Tech Is there an online data storage company???

beljwl

Nov 28, 2006
I have a VERY LARGE music collection about 300 gigs. Right now I store it all on an external hard drive. I back it up on a second external every few months. I was hoping that I could find an online site that I could upload a copy of my music just in case something happened to my house and both my hard drives were destroyed. Is there such a site? Of course I am looking for a place that is not super expensive.

i just started using Mozy.com a couple months ago. it's only $5 per month.
although it's for backing up your entire computer but i think you can specify certain folders only?

I use Mozy. It is $4.95 a month for unlimited storage space. I chose this one because it was one of the few that let you backup external drives. I backup on a daily basis the files from my husbands and my computer to an external drive. Then every other day I let the online backup run overnight. Every few months I run into a glitch but once I engage Mozy support it is fixed in a day or two. Early on I did a few test restores of a few files and it was fine.

One of the options for the backup is for faster computer of faster backup. I leave mine on faster backup which pretty much renders the computer unusable while the backup is running. It is fine since I let it run while I am asleep and I don't have it running from my primary computer. The external drive is connected to a secondary computer we have that doesn't get used much.

Your initial backup will take forever, perhaps a week or more. I think we have about 187 GB backed up.

Hope this helps.