is there a way to remove the smell from black jeans?

Sep 5, 2013
I've noticed that all my black jeans have that chemical smell.

I've tried white vinegar and also oxi clean. none of those removed the smell. Plus I think the Oxy clean may have faded them badly (that or the jeans are just bad).

Any proven suggestions?

The smell is obnoxious and is noticeable by my friends.

I haven't had this problem, but I soak all of my new jeans in a bucket of water with white vinegar and salt for maybe 8 hours before I wash them with a lot of extra water and a color catcher sheet (and detergent). All of my darker jeans are from gap. I recently did this with a new black pair and they didn't smell. I don't remember them smelling when I got them, though.

When I soak them, they are inside out for the first few hours, then I turn them right side out and soak more, then inside out again before washing.

I don't stress too much about them fading. I'm OK with faded jeans since I don't pay that much for them.

All? What brands do you have?

Just went and sniffed mine (7FAM and AG) and none have a weird smell.

Some random Macy's brand, my little sisters Pink Celebrity, Nordstrom brand denim has this too (Wit & Wisdom and Treasure & Bond).

I haven't bought any black denim in a few years (only leggings and tights) so I've forgotten if black denim is suppose to be like this. I know that the chemical is sometimes added to the dye to make the black last longer and not fade.

I haven't had this problem, but I soak all of my new jeans in a bucket of water with white vinegar and salt for maybe 8 hours before I wash them with a lot of extra water and a color catcher sheet (and detergent). All of my darker jeans are from gap. I recently did this with a new black pair and they didn't smell. I don't remember them smelling when I got them, though.

When I soak them, they are inside out for the first few hours, then I turn them right side out and soak more, then inside out again before washing.

I don't stress too much about them fading. I'm OK with faded jeans since I don't pay that much for them.

Are any of them black jeans? None of my other colored denim or blue shades have this problem. None from Macys store brand or Joe, AG, 7's, etc.

Try soaking them in water/baking soda. Baking soda helps soak up the smell. However, I'm not sure how affective it is, because the smell might come from the material itself

I've had that smell with black denim too. Assumed it to was a combination of chemicals as black fabric has to be well saturated with dye to look a dense black. European jeans don't seem to smell as much.

I've had success washing with baking soda or vinegar but by the jeans have lost their dense black colour by the time the smell goes away.