Tech Is there a virus, worm, etc called LOL?

Grace123

Hopelessly Obsessed
O.G.
Nov 12, 2006
www.agreatdog.com
Lately, I've noticed some of my windows will freeze and I use control/alt/delete to see what's up and at the top of the list is always "LOL". Is this a some sort of spyware, virus, whatever? If so, how do I get rid of it?

I have Spybot, and Avast and neither seem to notice this. Maybe it's nothing but I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction if it is malware in order to get rid of it.

Thanks!

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
In Task Manager, are you seeing it in Applications or Processes? If in Processes, is it a .exe file under Images? What is the number under CPU? Mem Usage?

At the bottom of the Task Manager window, is the CPU percentage maxed out?

Download, Install and Run Process Explorer which will give you more detailed information. It's like the Task Manager on steroids.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Grace123

Hopelessly Obsessed
O.G.
Nov 12, 2006
www.agreatdog.com
Thanks for the tip. I read that thread and here's my problem:

"if u have downloaded a kltv or weather program that sits on ur task bar in task manager itll come up L O L live on line.. this is a continous task that keeps running because the weather updater is always running and updating. please be advise it is not a trojan. just a program u have downloaded to get updates on ur weather. if u have not downloaded any weather program or live online programs then yes u might have a virus. hope this helps.."

I do have that weather program! Thanks for helping me figure it out, I appreciate it! :smile: