Is there a RM color that doesn't work for you?

eye.bag

Jul 24, 2008
Not sure if such a topic is allowed on this forum...

But I recently purchased a MAC in Teal with Silver hardware, and after seeing the color and the combo with the chain... I just went "eeewww.... :shucks:"
Happily, I managed to sell it to someone else who likely went "hoooray!! :yahoo: "

Since then, I have often wondered about RM colors. I have always gushed about ALL their colors (their richness, brightness, depth, intensity...etc), even for the palettes that I would never ever wear (purple, basketweave). So this experience with a color that strongly disagreed with me came as a HUGE surprise.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar story or experience.

For the record, I am a proud owner of more MACs since and i love them all! (Even after this brush with Teal, I still think it's a great color for some people, but definitely it had NO chemistry with me whatsoever.
)

I have not come across a color that made me say "ewww" yet but have seen some that made say "ehhh". In other words, I don't get all the fuss. Does that make sense? Some colors don't quite do it for me but are huge faves of other people. Teal was an "eh" color for me...most blues, in fact. I'm just not into blue. I feel the same about hardware. Silver and gunmetal leave me unmoved but I know they rock some ladies worlds! I honestly prefer goldtone/brass in hardware.

^I agree that it's an individual preference thing, as colors can be...It depends on what someone is drawn to, and in the case of handbags, if the color is suitable to a wardrobe. For example, I've never been drawn to RM's olive or orange haze for myself, but I have seen other ladies rock it hard. One great thing about RM colors is that there have been so many of them...so much to choose from that anyone can find a color that suits their liking.

I imagine I probably could wear, but in general probably would not wear: most yellows, olive and most greens, most purples, most off reds, mustard, luggage and most browns, most if not all exotics...although I do have a purple lizard mac... I like...but on other people I adore these colors>>> so go figure...

Agree with GelTea - it's about the individual's preference and not any reflection on the brand. Me, I'm not much of a brown-bag girl, so I'm afraid classics like Glazed Almond and Espresso are pretty much wasted on me. I prefer rich jewel-toned bags, with a couple of black bags as my neutral. Love my Wine, Navy, Jammin' Purple and Pepper RMs. I did once, however, have an ewww moment with a cobalt-coloured London Fog bag with mid-brown leather trim. Dunno why.

I would like something in Teal though. :greengrin:

Yep- RM launches wayyyyy too many colors and as much as I admire them on everyone else, a lot of them don't work for me. I do appreciate that RM introduced me to color and got me out of my "black and brown bag only" phase. I love teal personally because I tend to wear a lot of neutral clothing and its a fun pop of color, but there are a lot of other colors that don't work for me at all.

Interesting question!

This isn’t specific to RMs, but I just cannot do blue bags. Blue is my favorite color, and so I’ve bought several blue handbags, but I’ve always sold them without using them. Teal is more of a blue/green, but I couldn’t pull it off in a bag either. But I do love my teal pouch.

For me, I think mustard, purples and greens would probably work best with what I wear, in addition to black and grey. Also like reds, but they are a little less versatile for me.

I’m also often drawn to browns, but they are not as versatile for me – though I think brown handbags can work with black clothing, despite the fashion “rules” my mom taught me when I was younger. I don’t have any browns now, though tobacco MAM I think may count for that, if it ever arrives, and I’d love a BV in Ebano and a Mulberry in Oak down the road.

I amreturning a Teal MAC to Bluefly. I think it's a pretty color but it doesn;t work for me and I am not a fan of the Leather. I just bought a Turquoise MAC from LB and love it!

I'd say any of the pastel colors (mint, lavender, pansy, pale yellow etc.) don't work for me...I'm more of a strong, "angry" color girl. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the pastels that RM has come out with, but I've learned that I just don't pull them off. I'm not a pink girl so pink is also out of the question for me...every time I've tried to get something pink to be more girly I've been sorely disappointed.

^I agree that it's an individual preference thing, as colors can be...It depends on what someone is drawn to, and in the case of handbags, if the color is suitable to a wardrobe. For example, I've never been drawn to RM's olive or orange haze for myself, but I have seen other ladies rock it hard. One great thing about RM colors is that there have been so many of them...so much to choose from that anyone can find a color that suits their liking.

Completely agree...all personal preference.:smile:
It is nice to see so much variety in her leathers to please everyone..:yes::flowers:
That being said..I do not do yellows, pastels, creams..oranges..but they look great on others.
I haven't done a true blue yet or green(Forest is gorgeous!) ..think they are beautiful but not sure they would get used enough.
I personally love teal..and also navigate toward the wine..DG...brown..black..might consider the old school royal..and old school Deep Purple:graucho:

I'd say any of the pastel colors (mint, lavender, pansy, pale yellow etc.) don't work for me...I'm more of a strong, "angry" color girl. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the pastels that RM has come out with, but I've learned that I just don't pull them off. I'm not a pink girl so pink is also out of the question for me...

Ditto!! I never cared for periwinkle, mint or rose.. etc. Pink bags in general do not work on me. I enjoy seeing them on others though.. I like really bright or really earthy colors.

So far I haven't had a color that made me say "Ewwwww", but I have had a few that I don't see what all the "hype" is all about. For instance, I must be the only TPFer that doesn't think that Wine is all that. :shrugs: It just doesn't do it for me. And I'm not really a brown lover either, although I am VERY interested in getting something, a MAMM perhaps, in the Brown Basketweave/Royal combo. :tup: I tend to like brighter, more saturated colors in my handbags. I wear a lot of black, so I can probably get away with any color bag. That being said, when I wear a bag I don't necessarily worry that it may or may not "go" with the outfit that I am wearing. :biggrin:

I agree with BlackBirdie on the "pastels". They don't really work for me either. I prefer stronger colors. Also, I'm not a blue gal...don't own a single blue bag. I think Navy Luxe is incredible and may possibly own one someday... maybe.

Most surprisingly for me, Wine does absolutely nothing for me. Very pretty but not for me.

I'd say any of the pastel colors (mint, lavender, pansy, pale yellow etc.) don't work for me...I'm more of a strong, "angry" color girl. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the pastels that RM has come out with, but I've learned that I just don't pull them off. I'm not a pink girl so pink is also out of the question for me...every time I've tried to get something pink to be more girly I've been sorely disappointed.

[FONT=&quot]Haha, I love the way you phrased this. I prefer stronger colors in bags as well.[/FONT]

I have to say that there are colors that I just do not like and then there are colors that do not go with my wardrobe and I would never carry them. Any of the teal/peacock variations, yellow, orange and fuschia colors are no’s for me. Other people look great carrying them but me not so much.