Is there a limit of items that you can buy?

Fashionata

Jan 6, 2010
Hi Guys,
When I was shopping in Amsterdam in the LV-store, there was a chinese man that wanted to buy two wallets. But the SA told him he couldn't buy
them because he already purchased two items in the LV-store in Belgium.
What is that about?
Is there a limit of items that you can purchase in a LV-store?
And if so, how many things can you buy in one year?
Because I have bought two bags now, and I want to return in June
to buy more things.
Does anybody know about this?

Greetz,
Anneke

Ummm... that sounds odd indeed. I have purchased three wallets directly from LV.com in the last 45 days. I'm thinking about getting another one next week. I hope LV will let me buy another wallet lol.

I wonder whether one fine day, someone will sue LV for discriminating them for not selling to them (be it in multiples). I have bought multiples of items but I do not see why they discriminate another by restricting sales to him. If it is in their policy to sell only 2-3 items to somebody, state it clearly at the store otherwise I find this discrimination. Hope somebody takes action against them. I say this is because I was treated this way eventhough I was not in it for reselling, counterfeiting, illegal activities, etc. I see the poor Chinese going around persuading people to get it for them on the streets of Paris and I feel sick of LV's discrimination.

mercx5 i am sure someone already has sued them for this, but its easy to see why they didnt win. a store is not required to sell to everyone. they can set the terms of sale as the like as long as it is not based on race, gender, religion etc in the USA. thats why you see shops that have signs "no shoes no service", "no cell phones please", "no pets please" etc... but also for popular movies, books, games, toys you often see limits like "limit 2 per customer" or "even limit one per customer"

as long as these limits are not based on race, gender, etc. or there to limit competition, than they are legal. (this is about the USA only, i cant speak for other nations)

many luxury brands limit how much you can buy. maybe the limits are unfair but they are not illegal.

You sound terribly confident that LV has a limit policy but where is it informed to the client in the stores? I have never seen it. Please let me know what the policy is and where is it conveyed. I understand that stores can refuse sale or service if it is clearly conveyed to the client but not in this case.

And I am pretty sure that the policy applies more to Asians. Go to Paris and you will see why there are so many Chinese on the streets asking for help to buy items for them. The last time I was there, looking at them I felt discriminated and it kind of turned me off from the brand. How can they treat their customers like that. It was as if our money was not money at all. Anyways, I think this is a serious problem and should be looked into. They cannot just suspect someone and slap them with a limit on items. Trust me i have bought many items from Paris before with no queries and also in multiples. So where and what is this policy?

And I am pretty sure that the policy applies more to Asians. Go to Paris and you will see why there are so many Chinese on the streets asking for help to buy items for them.

This is true. Although there is no policy per se, an SA in Sydney did inform me about purchasing in multiples. Generally speaking, if you purchase in multiples, and raise any red-flags, they may blacklist you. People do buy multiples from Paris, and resell them here, since there is about a 30% upmark on top of the Paris price in Australia. However, he also informed me that there is a restriction on purchases imposed upon Asian customers in Paris (please note that both him and I are Chinese). I do find this understandable since most counterfeiters are Chinese people and do in fact purchase from LV boutiques, only to rip up bags apart and essentially copy the design etc. for counterfeiting operations.

I think there is a cliche on the idea that "Chinese counterfeiters" buy so they can copy it. I am thinking this: LV is available all over the world, not only Paris, why is there a need to buy from LV in Paris so that they can bring it home to copy. They can easily buy it globally albeit a small mark up then Paris, so why the fuss of only buying in Paris. Furthermore, if there are indeed counterfeiters, they would have tons of moneys to source it from any store around the world, so why Paris again? So I think that the counterfeit reason does not hold water at all.

Maybe for reselling purposes but so what, it is up to the customers decision what they want to do with it. If LV feels so strongly about it, they should standardise the prices all around the world and not make Paris cheaper by 30%!!!

mercx5, never thought of it that way. But I would have to say now that I pretty much completely agree with you. Just hope that they bring down the Australian price to match the French price rather than bring up the French price :biggrin:

You sound terribly confident that LV has a limit policy but where is it informed to the client in the stores? I have never seen it. Please let me know what the policy is and where is it conveyed. I understand that stores can refuse sale or service if it is clearly conveyed to the client but not in this case.

And I am pretty sure that the policy applies more to Asians. Go to Paris and you will see why there are so many Chinese on the streets asking for help to buy items for them. The last time I was there, looking at them I felt discriminated and it kind of turned me off from the brand. How can they treat their customers like that. It was as if our money was not money at all. Anyways, I think this is a serious problem and should be looked into. They cannot just suspect someone and slap them with a limit on items. Trust me i have bought many items from Paris before with no queries and also in multiples. So where and what is this policy?

again I can only speak to the USA but in the USA there is no entitlement to service or purchase ( save with regard to race, gender etc)

And no the company DOES NOT have to tell you before hand. I worked at high end wine stores and I have asked a customer to leave because her dog kept going for other dogs and customers and the lady did nothing to control her dog. I asked another to leave beause he had such poor personal odor. And no we didn't have signs in either case. Nor did I break the law. Hell you can ask someone to leave because they look like your ex. Such moves are risky and no one wants toturn away money from the store.

You don't have to believe me. You could search this forum and read all the stories of people being banned for any number of reasons. One guy was banned for trying to return a pair of fake shoes as the real thing. You can read that story on rip off report.

I am just explainig why in the USA such hidden or unwritten rules are legal. Now I don't know about banning Asians who buy more than one of a kind such a move WOULD be illegal but on because of race/nationality not because of the more than one part.

Again you don't have to believe me or anyone else who has written about being blacklisted from LV or other houses. I just wanted to correct so misinformation about an entitlement to service that does not exsist. Sign or no sign

Also because LV is more expensive in some nations than in others it may be that people from one country end up getting caught up in the no more than two of kind rule. But as long as such a policy is applied to everyone the same regardless of race than it's not. Race baised and therefore not illegal. Now if say a white person buys 5 mono speedies and an Asian person buys 3 and only the asian is black listed than that's a different story. But if both are blacklisted than it is what it is.

My SA told me once that she had a group of Japanese "tourists" coming into her store wanting to buy loads of items, 3 Palermo PMs, 4 Sarah Monogram and so on each.

The funny thing is that when she checked them in the system, they had been to 2 other LV stores a couple of days earlier purchasing the exact same items. She asked one of them why they bought so many of the same, and one of the guys said that they were paid to travel around Europe for 2 weeks to buy as much LV as they could for some people who had a online store in Japan?
They had lists over the items this online store person wanted them to buy, all popular Mono items like Palermo, Sarah, Neverfull, Abbesses and so on.

So they travelled all over Europe for 2 weeks, going into every LV store trying to buy as much LV as possible. The amounts they spent were just madness.

I dont know if this is true, but why would this guy lie to my SA?

Edit: And they also claimed VAT off, so they got approx 15-20% back when they left the EU.

Last edited:
My SA told me once that she had a group of Japanese "tourists" coming into her store wanting to buy loads of items, 3 Palermo PMs, 4 Sarah Monogram and so on each.

The funny thing is that when she checked them in the system, they had been to 2 other LV stores a couple of days earlier purchasing the exact same items. She asked one of them why they bought so many of the same, and one of the guys said that they were paid to travel around Europe for 2 weeks to buy as much LV as they could for some people who had a online store in Japan?
They had lists over the items this online store person wanted them to buy, all popular Mono items like Palermo, Sarah, Neverfull, Abbesses and so on.

So they travelled all over Europe for 2 weeks, going into every LV store trying to buy as much LV as possible. The amounts they spent were just madness.

I dont know if this is true, but why would this guy lie to my SA?

Edit: And they also claimed VAT off, so they got approx 15-20% back when they left the EU.
I think that's true. There are many online stores to sell authentic LV items in Japan. Some people do the same thing here in the US too. They go to the outlet mall, buy stuff and sell them on eBay. Nothing is really new about it.

Also because LV is more expensive in some nations than in others it may be that people from one country end up getting caught up in the no more than two of kind rule. But as long as such a policy is applied to everyone the same regardless of race than it's not. Race baised and therefore not illegal. Now if say a white person buys 5 mono speedies and an Asian person buys 3 and only the asian is black listed than that's a different story. But if both are blacklisted than it is what it is.

But how do we know who is being blacklisted and who isn't? The point is, LV should state how many of the same item you can buy before getting blacklisted.