Is there a chanel for me?

Alienza

Aug 11, 2015
Hi ! I have been lurking and reading this forum for awhile but this is my first post .Hoping for some suggestions from chanel experts here. All my bags now are LV. The reason is durability. I am not careful with bags. I put all my bags on the floor (restaurants,trains,planes), on the ground, on sand, rocks, grass,etc. And i filled my bags with so many things (wallet,phone,wipes,tissue,reusable bags,reusable straws,make up pouch,keys,lanyard,water bottle,umbrella,scarf,kindle,daily planner,card wallet,mints, sweets, etc). For years my LV bags have been able to handle it. But lately i saw more and more people carry Chanel so i thought i should get one too. My question is ..is there a Chanel bag that suits me or should i just get a WOC and use it as wallet and put it in my LV bag? Thanks !

Well, first and foremost, don't decide what brand to buy because other people are carrying it. Chanel has too hefty of a price tag to pay if you don't really love it. Secondly, are you willing to buy a 4k+ bag that you know will be beat up and not treated well? If the answer is no, buy a WOC and carry it in your LV bag. They are small, versatile, and probably less likely to end up on the floor.

If you do choose to buy a flap bag, perhaps go pre-loved? Shop with a reputable re-seller and save some money since it makes no sense to spend full price on something you know will get beat up. Just my opinion and something to consider.

Chanel and LV are very different. I believe Chanel bags are durable, but not like LV canvas! If you put a Chanel flap through a ton of abuse, you'll see it. It can lose structure from being over-loaded and damage to the beautiful leather can be obvious.

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose! :smile:

If you do decide on Chanel I would go with a caviar bag since they are more durable then the lamb skin. That being the case I still don’t think they are as durable as canvas. Some ppl are ok with a few scratches so if you are ok with that go for it. Just make sure you love whatever you get. Good luck

Reactions: OCMomof3
Thanks for your suggestions! Following OC’s advice, I went to pre-loved shops today (I am fast! :biggrin:). I tried many WOCs and bags. The woc i tried are classic lambskin, half moon caviar, timeless, patent, boy. Classic is cute. royal blue was a very nice colour. But it looks delicate. I like Boy too but short chain. But maybe its ok. Dont like half moon or timeless. Mini bag looks cute but again delicate. Then i saw this. This is not photo of the actual bag. I took this photo from lyst. I kinda like this bag. The leather is soft and smooshy and i think it can fit my skinny water bottle in it. So i can use it as a second bag when im traveling (its flat and smooshy so i can put it in a bigger bag and use it at destination...i think) or a weekend bag. I kept meaning to have a smaller bag for weekend but im too lazy to move things into the other bag so i always end up grabbing my huge LV :biggrin:. But i think this bag is not talked about much in the forum. Do you guys not like it? Is there something bad about this bag? Is it a silly choice for a first Chanel? Hope someone Who has/had this bag can share her experience. Thanks!
Oh yeah, i agree OC we cant always follow trends. At least I cant keep up with the trend. A month ago after i decided to search for a Chanel, suddenly i saw so many people carrying Goyard :|. Slow down people! :biggrin:. But my plan is to get a chanel first, save up, get Hermes, save up, get goyard :biggrin:
Revangelina, i agree the classic WOC i saw is really cute for dinner. I am still unsure if it suits me though..

Attachments

• F9FA2ED9-12B6-41DA-9F83-89A90E5BF738.jpeg
    F9FA2ED9-12B6-41DA-9F83-89A90E5BF738.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 328
Thanks for your suggestions! Following OC’s advice, I went to pre-loved shops today (I am fast! :biggrin:). I tried many WOCs and bags. The woc i tried are classic lambskin, half moon caviar, timeless, patent, boy. Classic is cute. royal blue was a very nice colour. But it looks delicate. I like Boy too but short chain. But maybe its ok. Dont like half moon or timeless. Mini bag looks cute but again delicate. Then i saw this. This is not photo of the actual bag. I took this photo from lyst. I kinda like this bag. The leather is soft and smooshy and i think it can fit my skinny water bottle in it. So i can use it as a second bag when im traveling (its flat and smooshy so i can put it in a bigger bag and use it at destination...i think) or a weekend bag. I kept meaning to have a smaller bag for weekend but im too lazy to move things into the other bag so i always end up grabbing my huge LV :biggrin:. But i think this bag is not talked about much in the forum. Do you guys not like it? Is there something bad about this bag? Is it a silly choice for a first Chanel? Hope someone Who has/had this bag can share her experience. Thanks!
Oh yeah, i agree OC we cant always follow trends. At least I cant keep up with the trend. A month ago after i decided to search for a Chanel, suddenly i saw so many people carrying Goyard :|. Slow down people! :biggrin:. But my plan is to get a chanel first, save up, get Hermes, save up, get goyard :biggrin:
Revangelina, i agree the classic WOC i saw is really cute for dinner. I am still unsure if it suits me though..

The photo of the bag you posted was once in my collection. It is not a “classic”, but a fun bag. Very wearable, great size, great metallic gold leather. I did sell it because I began to shy away from metallic leather Chanel bags. I found that the finish on their metallic bags could not take my wear and tear and there were too many subtle marks to the leather.

Reactions: OCMomof3
That does look like a fun bag, but I would heed Frilly's advice as she has owned it before. Another poster mentioned that caviar is the most durable, which I forgot to mention.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the bag Frilly. I guess there is no perfect bag. The blue classic WOC i saw yesterday was nice too. Maybe i should rethink about buying chanel until i see something i really really like and it suits my lifestyle :biggrin:. Thank you for all your help!

Hi all! Just an update...i bought the bag in the end :biggrin:. I know you probably dont agree but i really like it. The leather is soft,squishy,and light. It is roomy too. I managed to put my big wallet, make up pouch, a small water bottle, my phone, keypouch/card case and wet wipes. I like the colour and the chains. And i got it cheap (i think, i might be wrong), under usd700:biggrin:. So...meet my first chanel! :flowers:

Attachments

• 9B3D0FAE-5C5C-4D42-B80E-BBB8B9E6BCC7.jpeg
    9B3D0FAE-5C5C-4D42-B80E-BBB8B9E6BCC7.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 116