Is the word "genuine" a red flag?

Sep 25, 2008
I'm just wondering about the use of the word "genuine". I almost bought a few MAC makeup pieces from an Australian seller recently who used the word 'geniune' - luckily I had them authenticated here and they were fakes, so I didn't buy. I think a poster or 2 mentioned this word, though, as if it may be some kind of red flag. Is it a weasel word used by fake sellers? Does it apply across all categories? What about foreign-but-English-speaking sellers (AUS, UK etc.)?

Thanks! :smile:

I think it could go either way. With Louis Vuitton... I have seen some seller say something was genuine and it was, but others say that and it was fake. I think for the most part though, more often then not, when they use that word, its fake.... Thats all I can add, sorry it wasnt much help!

Well I dont use the word genuine but when I sell I do state that something is authentic which to me means the same thing so I wouldnt think of it as a red flag but nor would i automatically take the seller at their word.

I also think it could go either way. To me genuine implies authentic. I have bought things that stated "genuine" before and they were fine. Maybe some sellers do find it makes it easier to lie? I don't know. I don't trust any seller really.

I personally give the word "genuine" no credence. I have seen the word "genuine" used often by both sellers of fakes and websites selling fakes. Also the same use of the word "original". And perhaps sometimes, the word is used inappropriately due to a language barrier, but neither "genuine" nor "original" implies "authentic" in my book.

And yes, no matter what word is used, never take it for granted to be the truth.;)

I wouldn't consider the word "genuine" a red flag of any sort. I've seen auctions that state that the item is "authentic" and it isn't. I think if I wanted some sort of clarification, I would just ask the seller questions regarding authenticity and make a determination from there.

Hi,

Yep im an aussie seller and when selling I use the word "Genuine". No particular reason why but to me they both mean the same if used in the right context. "Auth bag" is a red flag to me whats an Auth anyway lol or "Authentic Leather G Bag" I would read as it is real leather.

genuine,authentic, original..one must do their own homework..those words

have very little merit or authenticity to me
I agree. What does it matter if they use authentic, genuine, auth, etc doesnt mean theyre telling the truth regardless of the word they use, nor might it mean theyre lying. You still need to get it checked out.
I hate when people use 10000000% authentic. Thats just a pet hate though, doesnt mean its fake nor does it mean its real without checking it out.

genuine,authentic, original..one must do their own homework..those words

have very little merit or authenticity to me

Exactly. No matter what word the seller uses, we should do our research and be careful. None is a red flag for me, but all items should be checked for authenticity anyway.

I've used the word genuine, in the past (6 years ago, or something!).

I used it, at the time, as I saw all the fakes that were being listed as 'authentic', or '100% authentic' (as they used to always say, at the time!) and so, felt the word 'authentic' had become kind of tainted.

Certainly, '100% Authentic' had become tainted, as 100percentauthentic.com took you to a site wholesaling fake bags!

I think I used both, actually (probably in an attempt to catch both searches)? I think I said 'Genuine Authentic Chloe Clutch Bag', or something?

It was only later that I read, on here, that some people thought that the word 'genuine' was a red flag!

Personally, I judge the seller, the item and the description in general; not just the choice of certain words.

Last edited:
Yep im an aussie seller and when selling I use the word "Genuine". No particular reason why but to me they both mean the same if used in the right context.

Yes, same here. :yes:

'Genuine Chloe Bag' and 'Authentic Chloe Bag' (as long as the words are in that order) mean more or less the same, to me, too.

I tell you what can be a red flag, to me, though - people who don't say 'Genuine Chloe Bag' but, instead, say 'Genuine Leather Chloe Bag' or even 'Genuine Black Chloe Bag'; because they can often just be saying genuine leather, or genuinely black, rather than genuinely Chloe.

Same often goes for 'Authentic', used in that sort of ambiguous way, too.

Yes, same here. :yes:

'Genuine Chloe Bag' and 'Authentic Chloe Bag' (as long as the words are in that order) mean more or less the same, to me, too.

I tell you what can be a red flag, to me, though - people who don't say 'Genuine Chloe Bag' but, instead, say 'Genuine Leather Chloe Bag' or even 'Genuine Black Chloe Bag'; because they can often just be saying genuine leather, or genuinely black, rather than genuinely Chloe.

Same often goes for 'Authentic', used in that sort of ambiguous way, too.

I agree I always read the context of it, & like you said 100% Authentic is repeated over and over and over its almost seems worn out , id hate to think an auction listing I had was judged because it had the word "Genuine" in it as I seem to sway toward using it, id rather it be judged on photographs and the description.