Is the word "genuine" a red flag?

Kittie LaRoche

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
Supernova Heights
Totally agree. Genuine, original, authentic. That's all semantics. I care about the item/seller not their choice of words, so neither one would be a red flag for me.

I tell you what can be a red flag, to me, though - people who don't say 'Genuine Chloe Bag' but, instead, say 'Genuine Leather Chloe Bag' or even 'Genuine Black Chloe Bag'; because they can often just be saying genuine leather, or genuinely black, rather than genuinely Chloe.

^Another favourite of mine along those lines is: "Louis Vuitton genuine handbag". :Push: :P

chloehandbags

ChloéClutchCollector
O.G.
Mar 23, 2006
England, UK.
I agree I always read the context of it, & like you said 100% Authentic is repeated over and over and over its almost seems worn out , id hate to think an auction listing I had was judged because it had the word "Genuine" in it as I seem to sway toward using it, id rather it be judged on photographs and the description.

Yes, exactly. :yes:

eBayguy

Steve
Jun 23, 2008
Tennessee
In high priced categories, the buyer always has a lot to beware.

One comment on "red flag" is what it means to eBay as well. While never told officially, I have some eBay and PayPal folks tell me that genuine, authentic, etc. used with the brand name of VeRO products is an additional "red flag" to their search algorithms and you listing will get more scrutiny.

Just a "for what it is worth".

chloehandbags

ChloéClutchCollector
O.G.
Mar 23, 2006
England, UK.
^ Well, if so, that's ridiculous, as well - as many sellers of fakes, these days, just say 'Chloe bag', or whatever and just leave the word 'authentic' out (as if to say; 'We never said it was authentic!').

eBayguy

Steve
Jun 23, 2008
Tennessee
eBay will never share all their techniques for catching dishonest sellers, but it would seem they are "damned if they do and damned if they don't". It is a HUGE marketplace and some honest folks will get messed up in the effort. Just like the justice system.

Maybe this speaks for small, specialized venues that can be monitored better.

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Hi. Interesting topic.

I just ran genuine through an online thesaurus. This is the result.

genuine means not fake or counterfeit - or sincerely felt or expressed, while authentic means conforming to fact and therefore worthy of belief and trust​

Whether you chose to use genuine or authentic might depend on how you learned to read.

I am from Oz and my family would have leaned towards the word genuine. I didn't tend to use authentic but I do now. But to me the word means the same thing.

Of course, each auction has to be evaluated on it's merits and checked out irrespective of the words.

But to me, genuine would be a normal choice of word. I personally see flags if I see 200% authentic.... etc um... how do we prove that one :roflmfao: