Is the Paraty really worth $1800+??

Antonia

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
Chloe Paraty lovers.....I need some enabling-I love this bag but I'm trying to fathom the price tag. I am looking for a classic black bag to spend my tax return on and this is near the top. Those of you who have this bag, do you feel that it can be considered a classic style or is it more trendy? Do you see yourselves using this bag say 5 years from now? I'm a satchel girl at heart but I also love the fact that this bag can be worn on the shoulder. I currently own two black bags but I want to sell one because it's patent and I don't get to use it much, and the other one I like but honestly it doesn't make my heart skip a beat like the Paraty does. Frankly, I'm just looking for that one bag that will satisfy my urge to buy more....I'm getting tired of looking for that perfect bag and this seems like it could be it but I need help in deciding....TIA!!! :biggrin:

PS: How is the leather and is it a heavy bag to carry?

The style and shape of the Paraty is definitely classic...I'll be using my Chocolate one for many many years....

The leather is amazing and really softens with use.
The bag is not very heavy at all....

I would suggest trying it on in the store for a bit...or order it from a place like NAP so you can still have the option to return it.

Keep an eye out on bluefly becuase they stock some Paraty bags and a 20% discount is better than nothing.

I don't think this is a trendy style either. This bag will work well whether you're going to the office or just out shopping. I've worn my small Rock paraty about 10 times and it's so comfortable. It's not heavy at all empty - I tend to carry a lot during the day, so mine is heavy when I go to work. And the Chloe leather is divine. In black, it's very classic chic!

I would follow mona's suggestions above and trying out the bag yourself. It really is lovely! Here is my reveal:

http://forum.purseblog.com/chloe/loving-my-new-chloe-paraty-436964.html

Last edited:
Thank you Mona_Danya and Girlygirl3. These bags just showed up on Nordstrom's on line and they have a great return policy too. Girlygirl3 I'm going to read your thread now, thanks! :smile:
I'd love to hear some more feedback from Paraty owners!! Thanks :smile:

They are coming up on ebay more and more lately, so maybe look out for one there. I got mine on ebay and spent a bit of time posting pictures to the ATC, but it was worth it.
I went to europe with mine and it's a great comfy bag for sticking loads of stuff in.
The only thing I really have a problem with is sometimes the shorter handles get caught up in the rings which attach them to the bag and won't lie flat, It's hard to explain, but very annoying when it happens as you have to move the rings around to get them unstuck.

I think it will be a style that lasts. I just love mine. Its my absolute favourite at the moment. I only got it because it was 50% off I couldnt have justified the retail price tag, but after owning it I think it would have been worth the retail after all and wouldnt have regretted spending the money on it. Thing is I dont think I would have taken the plunge. (Its AUD$2400 here! I couldnt bring myself to spend that much until I heard it was on sale.)

I have had a lot of Paratys (Old Pink, Rock, Ink Python, Milk, Black Satchel) and I wholeheartedly think the bag is well worth the price tag. I do think it will be a classic Chloe style and I suspect there will be many colors and variations for years to come. The leather and hardware is top notch and the colors have been gorgeous. It is not the perfect bag for me though, and though I was initially obsessed, after a few months, I recognized what makes the bag less than perfect for me. I find the medium a touch too small and the large a touch too big. (The satchel is a much better size for me.) I find the 2008 shoulder strap uncomfortable (they fixed this with the flattened top of the 2009 straps). I find the bag a bit too structured for my taste even though the leather does soften a bit with use. (As you can tell from my Bals and Heloise Hobos, I like some slouch!) So even though I learned that this is not MY ideal bag, and I am down to just two, overall, I think this bag is a keeper for a lot of women and is here to stay. :tup:

^^ Good post Juldoc! It's the medium satchel (I think) that is on Nordstrom's website. Looking at it, I love it, but not having seen it in person to hold and try on makes it a little difficult to decide. Obviously if the price weren't an issue, I'd just go out an buy it right now! I appreciate all the feedback. I too have a Balenciaga and I actually wish it was more structured,lol. I like some structure to a bag because it's easier to find things inside (without having to use a purse organizer). BTW I noticed you have the Milk Paraty and I just saw a pic of that one on Net A Porter....gorgeous!!!

Love the Paraty. One of my favorites. The price is steep and it held me back from purchasing for a long time but, now that I have carried it for a week, I now know why it is so popular. I think it is worth it. It's still pricey, but I would not regret the purchase, even if I had to pay full price. It is a bag that will not just sit in your closet. You'll definitely get your money's worth once you realize how much you will be carrying it.

Thanks for your review, it makes me really want one and I was starting to think maybe it's too pricey for me. And OMG, the still shots from ER, what a gorgeous bag! I'm still waiting for my tax return so nothing will happen without that.

Mine broke today :cry: so I am not so sure of its quality anymore. I was just walking along thinking how much I loved it and what good quality it was as I was browsing other bags today when it fell from my shoulder. The tab the long strap holds just came out and the stitching was all undone. Thinking of repairing it myself if I can get the right colour and thickness of the cotton because all the holes are there I just need to follow them to fix it. If not I will get it repaired but I cant do it for a month because theres only one repairer I trust to do it and I cant get there till I have time off work :sad:
For a bag that expensive I am REALLY disappointed and even when repaired I will be scared to use it again!

Oh no Jaime, I'm so sorry :sad: to hear about your bag and I'm also very alarmed :amazed: by that news. I had similar problems with handles breaking on both a Heloise and a Elvire tote, but I never thought the Paraty might suffer the same fate :nogood: . I'm going to be extra careful about the amount I carry in mine ( large old pink) from now on :thinking:. Can I just ask, were you carrying a particularly heavy load when your bag broke ?

Yikes! That is scary. The good thing is that it was the stitching and not the hardware. It should be easily repaired. Hopefully, you can do it yourself and get back to wearing your Paraty.