Is the Outlet Version Hamilton a Bag Worth Getting?

Valeriee

O.G.
Jul 6, 2011
I have always liked the overall look of the Michael Kors Hamilton bag; however, I did not like the boutique version because of the saffiano leather and the lock component, which I was afraid would scratch the hardware very quickly. At the moment, the outlet versions of the Hamilton are on clearance, and they are made from pebbled leather and do not have that lock, which I was not fond of. For those of you who have this bag, is it worth acquiring? I do not currently own any Michael Kors outlet bags, so I am curious whether the overall quality will be similar to the boutique version.

At the moment, I am contemplating between this bag and the large Longchamp le Pliage in navy. With the current promotion, the Hamilton is only about $30 more expensive than the large le Pliage. Since it is an all leather bag, do you think that it will be a smarter purchase in the long.run.

Last edited:
I agree I like the outlet version better. I've had pebbled leather from the outlets and find its great quality. I had a Tristan and it was lovely.

I have a smooth leather Hamilton with the lock and one from the outlet and love them both. I think it depends on what you're going to use them for. The boutique version is the largest N/S one and the outlet version is an E/W so they can be used for very different reasons/items. I love the middle zipoered compartment in the outlet one. So versatile!
Want to mention these are new-to-me bags; on my grad student budget there is no room for something else for now. :smile:

Thanks for your replies. From what I know, the outlet version originally retailed for a similar price to the boutique version. For those of you who have it and can compare it in quality to the boutique bags (not necessarily the Hamilton but just in general), would you say that the quality is similar?

I own both & like both. The Boutique Hamiltons are in Saffiano leather & are taller without the interior middle zip compartment. The smooth leather Outlet Hamilton is not quite as tall & a little wider than the Boutique bags & has an interior zipped middle divider that does come in handy. Both bags have their pluses & cons. It's just a matter of personal preference. The smooth leather will slouch more than the Saffiano.

I have both an E/W standard Hamilton and an outlet Hamilton in tan, which was my first MK bag. I love both of them but to be honest I like saffiano leather better as it's more structured. I've attached some photos of me using it so you can see. I love the size, strap lengths and also the shoulder strap. I think leather is more delicate in a way but overall you'll get a better product for your money rather than synthetic.
Good luck in deciding :biggrin:

Attachments

• 12622497_10153523513491925_4333533279577426622_o.jpg
    12622497_10153523513491925_4333533279577426622_o.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 12697195_10153523513381925_7098534974918565954_o.jpg
    12697195_10153523513381925_7098534974918565954_o.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 311
I have both an E/W standard Hamilton and an outlet Hamilton in tan, which was my first MK bag. I love both of them but to be honest I like saffiano leather better as it's more structured. I've attached some photos of me using it so you can see. I love the size, strap lengths and also the shoulder strap. I think leather is more delicate in a way but overall you'll get a better product for your money rather than synthetic.
Good luck in deciding :biggrin:
Thank you so much. Is it possible to place the regular strap over the shoulder? Also, do you find that it's a very heavy bag?

I have used my outlet Hamilton more than any of my 3 regular ones, just because the regular ones are WAAAY to heavy and bulky. They are more showy (like for a dinner out) but I find they are not practical to wear for extended periods of time.

Thank you so much. Is it possible to place the regular strap over the shoulder? Also, do you find that it's a very heavy bag?
Sorry for the late reply! I'd say so but I prefer the long one for my shoulder. It's lovely and light because it's not saffiano leather and there's no lock etc.

The boutique Hamilton also came in EW size in pebbled leather, but was discontinued. I bet you could find a good deal on one on EBAY. I have 2, black and luggage. I would say quality is better overall in boutique. I would never touch an outlet MK bag, but that is just my opinion. When I see that name plate instead of the lock it just screams "outlet" and I hate outlets lol. not meaning to offend anyone who has that bag.

The boutique Hamilton also came in EW size in pebbled leather, but was discontinued. I bet you could find a good deal on one on EBAY. I have 2, black and luggage. I would say quality is better overall in boutique. I would never touch an outlet MK bag, but that is just my opinion. When I see that name plate instead of the lock it just screams "outlet" and I hate outlets lol. not meaning to offend anyone who has that bag.

Nope you are quite right! My outlet one was my first MK bag so I love it for that reason but I tend to get full priced ones when they go on sale instead