Is the monogram losing it's classic appeal? Or just an NYC attitude toward LV?

vinolady

O.G.
Feb 23, 2010
I've been in the market for a day to day tote so I decided on the Mono NF GM. I consider it classic looking; a bag that I can carry with my kids, traveling, shopping, etc for years to come. But after talking to some of my friends/colleagues in NYC, I've been told how "tacky" and "cheesy" the monogram is and how there are so many knock offs out there. Is that just an NYC attitude? Is the monogram losing it's status as a classic because there are so many knockoffs or just screaming "LOUIS"? I'm a little bummed because I've been so pumped to get this bag and now I hear all this negativity about it.

I'm also from NY but I have not heard this type of negativity towards the monogram. I know there are some ppl who aren't into wearing logos on their bags and you will get that everywhere you go but I definitely do not think that the monogram pattern is losing it's appeal.

If the thought of a mono bag gets you excited, go for it! Of course LV is copied, like any other major luxury brand. Doesn't make it any less special :smile:

I think it really depends on the person. IMO, I don't like the Coach pattern and am not the biggest fan of Gucci's either. But that's just me. Louis' monogram is the most common fake though, so that's annoying. But I believe that at the end of the day if you love your bag that is all that matters.

And when I last visited New York I saw fakes EVERYWHERE!! I was shocked at how many people had them or were selling them. Perhaps the overwhelming number of fakes is part of the negative attitude towards LV monogram out there.

I am also from the NYC area and I havent heard such negative things about it. It doesnt bother me what others say...as long as I love it, that's all that should matter. Dont forget that there are also alot of haters out there who cannot fathom spending that much on a bag (even if they could afford it) and so they choose to put it down instead....a case of sour grapes if you ask me.

I've never heard that in my neck of the woods. I think of all the bags out there in the world, the LV mono is the most classic, most elegant of all of them. It's timeless, what could be more classy than that?

Never liked the LVLVLVLV monogram...so i'm safe from this :smile:

But always buy what you like, what you want...no one else is carrying that bag but you anyway.