Is the Love Crossbody too inspired by the Chanel Boy Bag?

carollynda

Dec 16, 2012
Hello ladies,
I must start off by saying that the moment I saw this purse when it first released, I loved it! It is very chic and a welcomed change to the collection of MAC's and Affair's we Rebecca Minkoff adorers seem to collect. However, I also love the Chanel Boy bag. Although Rebecca has put her own spin on Chanel's design, does it bother anyone that the inspiration is from such a recognized bag? Does this matter to you at all, or are you glad that it gives us girls who aren't on a Chanel budget a chance to own a purse in a similar design? Thank you all in advance for sharing your opinions!

Last edited:
I will never buy a Chanel bag.

Just can't afford it and would rather own a house or perhaps fund the start up to my business. Just not my lifestyle.

I, personally, am comfortable with similar bags in my price point. I don't like the clasp on the Love crossbody but do enjoy the look of the affair bag. I also don't think I'd be able to use a $4500 handbag as I'd be extremely scared I'd ruin it. That's not how I roll!!!

Agreed Minkette! I'd be terrified of carrying around a $5000 bag as well! Although I won't lie...it would be nice;)
haha...I'd like to touch one.. hold it briefly... then give it back! Just to say I have seen one in real life!

Perhaps at a Chanel counter...lol. I just want to know why they cost sooo much. Maybe that knowledge will come to me magically when I touch it!

Lol. I would rock it and hold it like it's my baby! No...I seriously would. Although once it's in your hands, it might be hard to let it go. Better not to play with fire! Thankfully, the Love can fill that void.

I don't plan on buying the Love because the mechanism to close the bag bothers me. That said,I don't care that RM has been "inspired by" the Chanel boy bag. It happens all the time. What bothers me is the hypocrisy on her end. She is furious when people are "inspired by" her line but has done the same with the Chanel Boy (Love) and the Givenchy Antigonia (Perry).

I think at some point with so many design you can find so many styles which might be inspired from each other. Somehow it is a compliment to the designer him/herself, if it is not a one to one copy or just a plain cheap replica.

I myself am happy that there is a similar bag to the Chanel Boy (I just like the boxy style) and even find the Love Crossbody a bit more feminine than the original Boy Bag. Of course I would love to be able to possess the Chanel Boy Bag, but it is just out of my reach. Also I find that the Love Crossbody has enough differences to be comfortable to say that is am unique bag by itself. Seriously, Flap Bag have been there allover in different styles for ages.

that could be this reason why i don't want to get a Love crossbody. that would make people think i'm wearing a knock off or i'm cheating. not a good feeling to wear something so similar to the ones which are already so famous and well-known.

that could be this reason why i don't want to get a Love crossbody. that would make people think i'm wearing a knock off or i'm cheating. not a good feeling to wear something so similar to the ones which are already so famous and well-known.

Well said Kasey. I hate to admit that this same feeling is what has held me back. Which is sad because the Love is a very cute purse and if I don't feel comfortable buying and wearing it, but can't afford a Chanel Boy, then I guess I won't be able to enjoy this style. Not sure of that's the right way to look at it, but seems to be how I'm feeling thus far.

Agreed. That's exactly it. It's one thing to have some influences from other designers and another to have a bag that someone might mistake as a bad knockoff.

It's an interesting debate and everyone has good points. I too am in the camp that the Love is just a tad too obviously inspired by the Boy. I understand most fashion other than ultra-high-end couture is "inspired-by" and that's totally okay. But imho, RM seems to be straying from her originality with the Love crossbody. I'd rather carry something that is one of her signatures, like the MAC, rather than someone else's.

PS. But always better to get a Love than a counterfeit Chanel!!!