Is the Hardware on Vintage Dior Bags Gold-Plated? And Can I Have It Re-Plated?

Novocaine

Jan 12, 2010
Hi,

I recently bought my first vintage Dior bag. :yahoo: It's a lovely monogrammed envelope clutch/shoulder bag, in navy and oat, with gold hardware.

Due to its age, some of the gold has worn off, on the "Dior" plaque, where the snap fastening is. The plaque now looks more silver than yellow gold and I'm hoping to get it re-plated. In my opinion, yellow gold compliments the navy-and-oat backdrop better. Also, it'll highlight the golden undertones in my skin (I wasn't nicknamed "Vain-pot" as a child, for nothing). :P

Does anyone know whether 22K etc gold was used in the hardware of vintage Dior bags? Also, will I be able to get my bag's hardware re-plated (and if so, where should I go to get it done, in the North-West of the U.K.)?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Apologies for the delay in my response and thanks, kevlovlevis!

Did you have to remove the hardware/plaques from your bags, in order to re-plate them? If so, how did you do that? I ask, because the plaque on my bag's rather difficult to access and I don't want to have any accidents on the fabric exterior of the bag.

Also, this may sound silly but where should I purchase gold for re-plating? Any goldsmith's, presumably? :blush:

I doubt they ever used 22K Gold on the handbags unless it was a Limited or Special Order/Edition handbag.

22K Gold hardware would make it literally thousands of dollars... estimated around $10,000 and Up.

The reason why the gold coloring might have come off is because its "Coated" with Gold Coloring.

My best advice is to take it to your nearest Dior Boutique and have them take it in as a "Repair"

Thanks, Bottega-Veneta! I think I'll pop into a Dior boutique and ask about repairs, because it may end up costing nearly the same as a gold plating kit in the UK.

Thanks all for your help. :smile:

Thanks, Bottega-Veneta! I think I'll pop into a Dior boutique and ask about repairs, because it may end up costing nearly the same as a gold plating kit in the UK.

Thanks all for your help. :smile:

No problem.

for small repairs, usually it can be done in the boutique.
But leather repairs and coloring and usually done outside the boutique and takes about a month to finish

However, they will look at it first and give you a price estimate before they repair. And if you agree to the price, then they will fix it.

So there's nothing to loose! I really hope this helps.

use a Krylon metallic leafing pen to draw over the area. try it on an inconspicuous spot first to make sure the color corresponds. these smooth flowing paint pens are a creative favourite for high-quality, metallic accents on any surface.
  • Premium metallic finish resembles actual metal plating
  • Chiseled tip draws both thick and thin lines
  • Saturated metallic colours
Dry to Touch: 10 minutes

Dry to Handle: 2 hours

For use with: Wood, Metal, Wicker, Plastic, Glass, Craft Foam, Plaster, Ceramic, Fabric, Paper, Paper Mache, Dried/Silk Flowers.
leafing.jpg