Is the Day best for a diaper bag or one of the new styles?

Sep 12, 2009
I just had a baby and am thinking she wants to give me a "push present" for Christmas, lol! So looking at getting a Day bag as a diaper bag/daily bag, but there are some new styles I am not familiar with. I like Days and how hands free they are, but are any other styles just as good or better for keeping baby stuff and my stuff and easy to wear on the shoulder?

I'd say a Day or a Velo. Something that can be hands free either as a shoulder or cross body bag. And I would choose RH, as you will be lugging around alot of extra stuff and GH will just make it that much heavier.

yes, if you are tall, go for Velo. the wide open zipper makes it easy to reach in the bag. and I like how its not bulky when way cross body - really hands free, not have to worry the bag slide down from your shoulder. also, with its heights and wide bottom means water bottle can fit straight up in it :smile:

I love my Day and I can imagine it would make a very handy diaper bag, light, fits in a lot and stays on your shoulder. I'm not a big fan of Velo i'm afraid.

For a baby bag, you could try a Day with one of those purse organizer things. Or use a lot of different colored big pouches for stuff, anything to make it quicker to find exactly what you want when you need it.

As a mom of 2 myself I'm going to commit blasphemy and suggest that I would not use any Bal as a diaper bag. They are not compartmentalized or lined the way most diaper bags are, and those features are important for a reason! You will want all of your essentials to be within easy reach without having to rummage and look through every corner of your bag, and if something leaks you don't want to be paranoid about your Bal leather. If you want a designer diaper bag, I know Gucci and Burberry make them (and canvas is more affordable) BUT you could also treat YOURSELF with a smaller cross body Bal like a town or even giant hip that you could use for your own wallet, keys, sunnies, etc. in addition to your diaper bag! The diaper bag fits across the stroller handlebars and you can be pushing it while rocking your Bal :smile:

Just my 2 cents - congrats on your new baby and good luck!! :smile:

wantabalenciaga, first of all, congrats! I hope all is well with you and the little one:smile:

I have to say that I totally agree with cali_to_ny here. Are you sure you want to use a Bal as a diaper bag? I'm going to be a mom very soon myself and as much as I love Bal I'm not going to use one as a diaper bag. I have bought a Marc by Marc Jacobs diaper bag which will be more practical, I will not be afraid for it to get messy and it will fit nicely around the stroller handlebars.

That being said I do plan to wear a Bal in addition to the diaper bag with my own things like wallet, iPhone, keys, etc. so I think you still should get a Bal as a "push present"!:graucho: I don't own a Day so I can't comment on that, but I do own a Velo and a Town and I love both styles since they can be worn cross body.

As a mom of 2 myself I'm going to commit blasphemy and suggest that I would not use any Bal as a diaper bag. They are not compartmentalized or lined the way most diaper bags are, and those features are important for a reason! You will want all of your essentials to be within easy reach without having to rummage and look through every corner of your bag, and if something leaks you don't want to be paranoid about your Bal leather. If you want a designer diaper bag, I know Gucci and Burberry make them (and canvas is more affordable) BUT you could also treat YOURSELF with a smaller cross body Bal like a town or even giant hip that you could use for your own wallet, keys, sunnies, etc. in addition to your diaper bag! The diaper bag fits across the stroller handlebars and you can be pushing it while rocking your Bal :smile:

Just my 2 cents - congrats on your new baby and good luck!! :smile:

I agree totally.

I am mom of twins and I just bought two Bals. I came to the same conclusion that Bals are pretty but not as durable as canvas bags. So I went back to my LV canvas for daily use with kids. You baby is still infant, so I'd suggest a seperate bag for your "essential" from baby "neccessaties." A diaper bag that you don't mind leaving on the handle bar and not have to "attend to" at every moment is a good thing. You wouldn't want to carry baby stuff all the time. You'd wear your shoulders and back out.

I had a couple diaper bags. One was a Kilpling. Very light weight on it own with lots of pockets. One was some generic black bag with lots pockets also which I found at TJMaxx.

Congrats and best of luck choosing!