Is the Bayswater that classic?

shadowyi

A little classic..:]
O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
I (maybe not unlike some of the others here?) was first intrigued by the Bays because of its resemblance to the Birkin. I've slowly come to realize that the very boxy Birkin and fiddly straps may not be for me. However, the timelessness of that shape is very appealing to me. I'm also a shoulder bag girl, and just am not as 'dressed up' as the Birkin. Is the Bays just as classic?

Also, I'm not looking to purchase one immediately, maybe when I start working. But I have one small fear, has there been any complaints of Mulberry's quality going down? I'm afraid that by the time I finally do go for a Mulberry, quality will have slipped.. :sad:

I do love the gunmetal and stone Bays though, I'm guessing those are really rare?

I don't have a Bayswater but like you Shadowy I'm hoping to buy one someday. And like you I am concerned about the reports of the quality slipping.

I've never thought much of the Birkin. Think it's rather ugly in fact. But I do love the Bayswater and one of the things which drew me to it is its resemblance to a purse carried by Claire Bloom in the 1964 British movie "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold." I love the purse in that movie and how the librarian carries it so practically and elegantly, slipping her cardigan and lunch into it. I looked for a purse like that for a long time and found the Bayswater to be very close in style. Maybe there were other British purses like this in the '60s? Maybe that was the inspiration. Dunno. But one of the things which makes it look classic is that it will always be classic no matter how times change.

Hermes Birkin and Mulberry Bayswater are both clasic iconic bags in their own right . The Bayswater is instantly recognisable as Mulberry here in the UK . I love all 8 of mine !

Okay - having both a Birkin AND a Bayswater I feel that I can safely say that they are both individual and classic bags (as Flossie said!).

The Birkin is boxy, smart (and I think has a hard time being really casual) whereas the Bays is not so boxy due to being taller and thinner, it slouches more, the straps are longer so it can be put on the shoulder.

Both can be heavy though.

They feel completely different to carry too due to the Birkin being more structured.

I wouldn't part with either and love them both.

Also - I haven't had evidence of the quality of Mulberry changing at all. There are always problems with any designer product.

Just a thought but i don't think Mulberry's quality is slipping i think we are just hearing more about problems because their customer service seems a bit poor at the moment. Problems that would have been quickly resolved and probably not heard about are now being aired.
Bayswater is definately a classic!!!

I agree with Jo, it's true, Mulberry's CS is letting them down at the minute and it doesn't seem that its being addressed even after mentioning it to the right people or perhaps its just going to take them a while to implement the changes if they have been listening.

I think the bays is a classic, they have kept it in production for so long - I guess if the demand wasn't there, it would have been long gone by now.

Bays is def a classic! There have been discussions about the quality differences in Darwin and Natural leather (the natural leather has replaced the Darwin), but I think the only difference is in the weight and this is a good thing as a darwin bays would be heavy! The beauty of mulberry bags is that they look better as they age! I think you shoudl go for one :yes:

Last edited: