Is the Antigona over?

Hi. I'm contemplating investing in either an Antigona Mini or an Alma BB. From an investment and longevity perspective which one makes most sense? I like the Antigona (classic not soft) but don't want to buy something that's dying out.
I would say Alma if I’m just answering your question. I mean my preference would be Alma but Antigona for the bigger size. I don’t think mini Antigona looks that special or good.

Reactions: ConsciFashion
Hi. I'm contemplating investing in either an Antigona Mini or an Alma BB. From an investment and longevity perspective which one makes most sense? I like the Antigona (classic not soft) but don't want to buy something that's dying out.
I own a antigona Mini in Black and i love it to death. But an Alma would be also nice. Both are great. If you want something decent not branded too much go for antigona if you want the LV go for Alma. Quality is great on both.

I wasn' a fan of the regular Antigona , but this one stole my heart
It's the small

IMG_20200705_083938.jpg

IMG_20200705_084022.jpg

IMG_20200705_083842.jpg
Honestly Beautiful!!!

I would say Alma if I’m just answering your question. I mean my preference would be Alma but Antigona for the bigger size. I don’t think mini Antigona looks that special or good.
I own a antigona Mini in Black and i love it to death. But an Alma would be also nice. Both are great. If you want something decent not branded too much go for antigona if you want the LV go for Alma. Quality is great on both.

Thank you both for weighing in. I was just wondering in terms of longevity. Antigona has been around for a decade but every few years I keep reading about how it's died and then it comes back again. So got a bit confused. I only buy bags which are classics and have longevity since don't really have the patience to sell.

Alma I guess is something that's a proven classic. I have a PM in vernis. Thinking will just get a BB now as well to serve the crossbody bag itch. If the Antigona does eventually die at least I'll know the Alma isn't likely to.

Reactions: beautycase
Not sure why it matters. Shouldn’t it be about which bag you prefer, are confident carrying and is it fit for purpose rather than if it’s still in fashion. What you love today maybe different in 5 or 10, 15 years from now. It’s pretty hard to judge now how you’ll feel about any bag in the future and if it will still have broad appeal. The Alma is a structured bag like the antigona, but at the moment soft, big and less structured bags are the trend, but this will change. Good luck with your choice. Both are lovely bags.

Not sure why it matters. Shouldn’t it be about which bag you prefer, are confident carrying and is it fit for purpose rather than if it’s still in fashion. What you love today maybe different in 5 or 10, 15 years from now. It’s pretty hard to judge now how you’ll feel about any bag in the future and if it will still have broad appeal. The Alma is a structured bag like the antigona, but at the moment soft, big and less structured bags are the trend, but this will change. Good luck with your choice. Both are lovely bags.
I get where you're coming from but I like to keep the money I spend on bags in circulation and as investment-oriented as possible. What I spend on bags is money I can spare after taking care of savings, investments etc but I still don't like to lose it completely. I do have a few vintage bags which I've kept around because I knew I'll use them forever no matter the trend but otherwise I don't like having something in my closet generally which I can't convert to cash were I to fall out of love with it and feel like buying something new. It's about minimising how much "new" money you're putting into your collection. Just economic common sense. Am not too emotional about my bags.
Plus am not "in love" with either bag. Just looking to buy one for utility which will be used occassionally so don't see the point of making a sunk investment.

Reactions: bigverne28
I get where you're coming from but I like to keep the money I spend on bags in circulation and as investment-oriented as possible. What I spend on bags is money I can spare after taking care of savings, investments etc but I still don't like to lose it completely. I do have a few vintage bags which I've kept around because I knew I'll use them forever no matter the trend but otherwise I don't like having something in my closet generally which I can't convert to cash were I to fall out of love with it and feel like buying something new. It's about minimising how much "new" money you're putting into your collection. Just economic common sense. Am not too emotional about my bags.
Plus am not "in love" with either bag. Just looking to buy one for utility which will be used occassionally so don't see the point of making a sunk investment.

I understand where you’re coming from. I have some vintage pieces that I love, but if decide to sell can make money on, but no plans to right now. Antigona seems to keep its resale price, but the Alma in this respect would probably hold it more. Post pics when you’ve decided!

Reactions: ConsciFashion
I bought and sold a couple of medium Antigonas because they were TOO structured for me (and I like my structured bags). Found them too hard to get in and out of. BUT...I just bought a new-to-me Antigona medium in orange that had lost some of its structure and it feels perfect to me. And at about a third of retail I'm satisfied with the gamble. :smile:

I bought and sold a couple of medium Antigonas because they were TOO structured for me (and I like my structured bags). Found them too hard to get in and out of. BUT...I just bought a new-to-me Antigona medium in orange that had lost some of its structure and it feels perfect to me. And at about a third of retail I'm satisfied with the gamble. :smile:

Love a gamble that pays off at that price. Sometimes bags are a journey. Thanks for sharing your story.

I’ve had the Alma bb and mini antigona. Mini antigona is the prettiest “mini” bag IMO. I was obsessed with LV for 4.5 years, and I wasn’t happy with anything I had except for one. Turns out most of my purchases were Instagram or YouTube or “investment resale” purposes which bit me in the a$$ anyways. I started branching out to other brands, and now I have timeless me classics that I actually genuinely love. Antigona is a classic, whether you like it or not doesn’t change facts.

I would have to agree with Dignatius, you can pull out the Antigona, and still steal the show. Considering that the Ant has been around over ten years now, I would have to say it has earned its place amongst the classics (just like the Flap, Speedy, Dionysus, Kelly & Birkin). The Ant is definitely Givenchy's classic bag-still relevant and classy.

Givenchy Antigona (the original version) is not a trendy bag. It's a classic bag like Hermes' Kelly, Birkin, and Chanel's classic flap. It is one of the timeless designer pieces that are worth investing in. I have the medium which I bought in Paris many years ago. It's been used heavily for work pre-Covid but still looks brand new. I don't use it often now but I will never let it go.

I enclosed a link to a Youtube video by a French designer about 10 classic, timeless designer bags worth the investment. Givenchy Antigona is one of them.