Is the 40% letter transferable?

mintrified

O.G.
Feb 19, 2010
Pardon me if this has been asked, but I searched for it and came up with nothing.

One of my best friends told me today that she had a 40% letter that she will not be using and since she discovered my recent obsession/addiction in Coach, she offered to give it to me since she does not buy FP bags (she gets her bags from outlets or Macy's). So my question is, is that 40% letter transferable? Like if she gives it to me, can I use it or does she have to be there when I use it?

Thanks!

i don't think it is transferrable--

but if you like you can go in with your friend, pick out what you want, and then when it comes time to pay have her hand over the letter and you pass her the cash, and she gives it to the cashier

or you could tell her to buy it

and you can pay her back based on the receipt

i would not want to sell one on ebay because you never know who buys it. PURE SPECULATION but.......if i owned a corp that was handling these things out and i see it on ebay i'd bid to buy and see..

also i would think that if i got one of those letters and lost it..i'd want the stores to double check that thats me before~~ letting them use it. there is a system to see whether its been redeemed or not, and once redeemed, it cannot be used again

and how do I get one of these letters??!

please correct me if i'm wrong
basically, if you send your bag to get serviced--maybe the stitching came out or zipper malfunction or handle broke--and if Coach cannot fix it, they will send you a 40% letter for your next purchase at a FP store. I'm not sure if they return the bag because I haven't had this experience and I didn't ask my friend.

I'm pretty sure they can be used by anyone, as like Bunny said they are bought & sold all the time via ebay. There is a reference number associated with each particular letter, so Coach has no problems with people trying to use them, then let a friend/relatice use them because that reference # would no longer be good!!!

i think that you shouldn't say, coach is okay with something, unless there is actual proof.

no where does it state on that letter that it is transferable.

there is a reason why that letter has a name and address on top, it is to be used by the person it is addressed to...

edit-there are loopholes of course, if you happen to get ahold of that letter and you pay cash, theres no reason the cashier would ask for id really..so in that sense you can 'transfer' it but that doesn't mean that when coach issued it, they had in mind that it is transferable like a PCE card..and the thing is, if you brought one off the internet and its from a different state, wouldn't that raise a flag for the cashier? or if you whip out a credit card and the name didn't match?

people that assume something is okay just because it doesn't state so (e.g. it doesn't say it isn't transferable), you never know..

it also doesn't say its transferable as well! better safe then sorry imo.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they can be used by anyone, as like Bunny said they are bought & sold all the time via ebay. There is a reference number associated with each particular letter, so Coach has no problems with people trying to use them, then let a friend/relatice use them because that reference # would no longer be good!!!

i based my reply on what you said

the first few lines where addressed to you directly because of this--where i said "i think you..."

the rest, like when i say people assume, it was a general comment for those who do, not necessarily directed at you like the former in which i said "i think you..." :smile:

some people view you guys as knowledgeable, and may take your 'opinions' as facts..i simply wanted to clear it up--i had no problem with the way bunny worded hers but when you say 'so coach has no problems' you're speaking in more of a 'fact' view then opinion