Is tech replacing the need for bags and SLGs entirely?

Are bags still needed or handsfree preferred?

• Slings and tiny bags are plenty

• I prefer handsfree and light!

• I still need a Large bag

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, it depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. When I'm just running out to take care of some quick things, I'll just stick my phone in my pocket and use my cles to hold my license and debit/credit cards. If I need slightly more, like if I know I need multiple credit cards or store cards, I'll use a small bag and take a wallet. When I go to work, I still use a tote because I just have more stuff I need to take. I don't feel comfortable having everything on my phone, so I don't think I'm going to get rid of using bags 100% of the time. Also, I like bags too much! If I'm using one, I need one that can at least fit my phone and a card case. I don't think I could ever go smaller.
Ditto! I'm working from home so if I run to the store, I just need my double zip pochette with a key holder, card holder, compact and lip gloss. Yesterday I went to the office with my pochette metis and my Raspail MM tote, with my umbrella, tumbler, lunch, etc!

The majority of my collection consists of small and tiny bags. I can’t use large bags as a purse, because the weight on my shoulder gives me a headache. I do have a couple large luxury bags for travel, and for instances that I need big bags bc of my kids (ie: carrying stuff for my daughter on her cheer competition days, etc.).
I do have a lot of SLG’s bc I like variety, and I like my SLG’s to match my bags. Not necessarily the same color, but I don’t like mixing metals so I have separate SLG’s for my gold-toned versus silver-toned hardware bags. I still use my physical cards, and not my phone to pay, and I always like to have cash on hand for emergencies.

I've always been a small bag person ☺️ I only use a larger bag for work to hold things like my lunch and waterbottle, but for that I just carry a cheap canvas tote, nothing designer. Day to day my go to is a woc. I love the convenience of mobile wallets and ordering ahead on apps like starbucks. I actually don't remember the last time I paid something with cash. I still carry my cards with me though. In Canada we don't have digital drivers lisence or healthcare cards yet. And I'm not sure about other places but we have a limit on mobile payments so for bigger purchases I still need my physical cards. I still need to carry at least a small bag for some small essentials like my tampons, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, lip balm, car keys and card case. Especially in the summer when I don't have a jacket with big pockets. I do have to say I don't have any kids yet so I don't have to carry around things for other people. I also don't have to carry around things like epipens, small medical devices or medications. And I think the country we live in will also impact whether or not we need a bag at all. I know when I travel asia I have to bring my own tissues around, even in big cities public restrooms don't provide toilet paper and restaurants don't give napkins.

I have been trying to scale back what I carry and the size of my bags. I have always carried large bags, NF GM and On the Go GM are my current favs. I am leaving more and more stuff at my office so that I do not need to carry so much back and forth. Taking baby steps right now. My husband no longer carries a wallet, He leaves his license in his car and wallet on his phone and I'm Just a bit jealous!

I never liked big bags so even before the small/mini trend I opted for smaller size bags. I find in the winter I can quite easily go hands free as I can use jacket/coat pockets for phone, keys, small sanitizer...In the summer that's not always easy.

I think the card holders and bags are here to stay for now as many people carry glasses and other items.

I am amused that the long wallets are still sold though...they used to be for checkbooks and storing cash bills without folding. That is starting to feel obsolete...
THIS... exactly my thoughts and what I do too.. LOL

Reactions: Love_N_Lune
I think it depends on one’s personal responsibilities. There’s work, but there’s also kids (or elderly parents). Snacks, water bottle, medicine pills, etc. Even if it’s just me and my husband, he will expect me to have a pack of tissues on me. And I have a work phone and a personal phone so I always consider bag size recognizing that. The need for a bag bag will always be around even if it’s lessened.

Me too. I'm in the sandwich generation. I'm ALWAYS carrying stuff for others.

Ditto! I'm working from home so if I run to the store, I just need my double zip pochette with a key holder, card holder, compact and lip gloss. Yesterday I went to the office with my pochette metis and my Raspail MM tote, with my umbrella, tumbler, lunch, etc!
How could I forget my umbrella! I always have to carry one of those given that I live in Scotland, and we quite literally see four seasons in a day! I will definitely never not need a bag. :lol:

Maybe for some but I am not a huge techie. I have nothing on my phone all my cards are in my wallet. As far tissues , hand sanitizer and what not I still prefer to carry and use my own rather than using supply that shops have out. For me its more going for lighter bags due to a bad back that I was born with and that is bothering more as I get older.

Can definitely travel much lighter these days with what phones can do. I used to be a huge bag person I am now a small and mini bag person. No need for pens and paper, diaries, etc. Still prefer my physical cards and need my keys. I also take antibacterial wipes and my pouch with salt and pepper/lip gloss etc so I need a bag of some sort but I can definitely get away with a small bag these days. Biggest thing in it is my phone (always the "plus" size regardless which phone I have) so my requirements for a bag include it must fit my phone (which is often in my hand but I like the option to put it away).

Reactions: _vee
I still have big bags in my collection, for travel(one-day or more days), I have to drive to do everything, so small bags are good enough to carry essentials. when I go out with kids, backpacks are in use. So I still have a variety of bags

Reactions: _vee and Loriad
Mainly medium bags as I need my wallet, keys, phone various glasses, pepper spray, water, tissues and the occasional small package or sweater with me for practicality. Very small bags such as a mini are adorable to look at but not practical with my lifestyle. I just use a Bb or Twist crossbody or a clutch for example, for a dinner out or a simple quick errand.

Reactions: _vee and Loriad
A really interesting conversation.
I guess I'm in the minority here, because I still carry a wallet with cash and cards inside, cosmetic pouch, home and work keys, umbrella, sometimes a book, hand sanitizer, tissues, phone charger, face masks, small water bottle and I like having some extra space in my purse for whatever else. I live in a large city and use public transport to work every day.
Do I need a huge bag and different sized slg's for my daily crap? Probably not, but I'll continue using my medium to large sized bags. Simply cause I love them. Also, I'm just not comfortable with all the cash-less paying methods. I like whipping out the amount in cash or I pay with my debit card, if the amount is higher. Does that make me a dinosaur at 37? Maybe, but that's okay :lol:
I could use a utility belt for my stuff. But I'm not Batman...so not gonna happen. All these mini and micro bags are adorbs, but I simply have no use for them. I also hate stuffing my pants pockets with cards and keys and my phone...
Bottom line for me is that I will continue using and buying bags and slg's in sizes that suit my needs.

A really interesting conversation.
I guess I'm in the minority here, because I still carry a wallet with cash and cards inside, cosmetic pouch, home and work keys, umbrella, sometimes a book, hand sanitizer, tissues, phone charger, face masks, small water bottle and I like having some extra space in my purse for whatever else. I live in a large city and use public transport to work every day.
Do I need a huge bag and different sized slg's for my daily crap? Probably not, but I'll continue using my medium to large sized bags. Simply cause I love them. Also, I'm just not comfortable with all the cash-less paying methods. I like whipping out the amount in cash or I pay with my debit card, if the amount is higher. Does that make me a dinosaur at 37? Maybe, but that's okay :lol:
I could use a utility belt for my stuff. But I'm not Batman...so not gonna happen. All these mini and micro bags are adorbs, but I simply have no use for them. I also hate stuffing my pants pockets with cards and keys and my phone...
Bottom line for me is that I will continue using and buying bags and slg's in sizes that suit my needs.
Hi Dino! I’m a Dino too!! I’m with you regarding moderate tech use. However, I’m trying to downsize my bags to small or medium size so I don’t carry so much and stress my shoulders. I can only admire micro and mini bags from far.

• Haha
Reactions: Grande Latte