Is tech replacing the need for bags and SLGs entirely?

Are bags still needed or handsfree preferred?

• Slings and tiny bags are plenty

• I prefer handsfree and light!

• I still need a Large bag

Results are only viewable after voting.
My life is also multifaceted and so I enjoy having a large range of sizes of bags to choose from depending on the occasion. I still carry cash in multiple denominations (easy for tips) on a daily basis and long wallets are a great way to organize multiple currencies. My SLGs are in current use as it helps me keep organized. I do carry my larger totes and bags when shopping so I can throw all the purchases in there. Even when I know I am not filling a bag to the brim, I enjoy having breathing space in my bags. Having said that, my little padlock on strap is one of my favourite pieces because I have the option of slipping it onto my belt and be completely hands free. The simplest I ever get is if I am only going to Starbucks downstairs all I really need is my house key and smartwatch or I preorder on the app and then I just need my key.

Last edited:
Tech indeed had an impact in the SLG department. I use my small, medium and even large bags like before, but since card payment options are mandatory here for all stores for a year now, credit, transit and even vaccination cards are digital, my 6 wallets are out of use :sad: I carry a card holder more often, IDs are still analogue, but the big ones only come out when I travel to have some € in cash, just in case.

You sound like you have arrived at bag peaceland. If you are sure, it’s always good to discharge off things you have no use for. At least the prices they fetch will be better now than later. :heart:
Ohh My gosh! You may be right - who’da thought it could actually happen, but I do feel now that you say it that that’s probably right - I might actually be there and major downsizing is the best path forward for me.. *mindblown*

Reactions: Jumper
My life is also multifaceted and so I enjoy having a large range of sizes of bags to choose from depending on the occasion. I still carry cash in multiple denominations (easy for tips) on a daily basis and long wallets are a great way to organize multiple currencies. My SLGs are in current use as it helps me keep organized. I do carry my larger totes and bags when shopping so I can throw all the purchases in there. Even when I know I am not filling a bag to the brim, I enjoy having breathing space in my bags. Having said that, my little padlock on strap is one of my favourite pieces because I have the option of slipping it onto my belt and be completely hands free. The simplest I ever get is if I am only going to Starbucks downstairs all I really need is my house key and smartwatch or I preorder on the app and then I just need my key.
Yes and that’s sorta what I’m thinking too - all the big bags have at least one pocket to put some cash cards into (as do the smaller ones) - so do we really need the SLGs anymore realistically..?

Reactions: pandorabox
Tech indeed had an impact in the SLG department. I use my small, medium and even large bags like before, but since card payment options are mandatory here for all stores for a year now, credit, transit and even vaccination cards are digital, my 6 wallets are out of use :sad: I carry a card holder more often, IDs are still analogue, but the big ones only come out when I travel to have some € in cash, just in case.
Oh wow, I didn’t realize some places were phasing out cash entirely..we’ve got a Digital locker system to transfer all analogue IDs to online so you don’t have to carry any anymore - and all my store cards are tied to my phone number so I really don’t need to swipe or carry those anymore - if I must then I slip some bills and a credit card into the Tiny bag’s zip pocket and that takes care of that - all this money spent on SLGs and these large bag *cries*

Reactions: pandorabox and BULL
Yes and that’s sorta what I’m thinking too - all the big bags have at least one pocket to put some cash cards into (as do the smaller ones) - so do we really need the SLGs anymore realistically..?
Well technically speaking we don’t really ‘need’ them to survive but like I said it helps me keep organized. I have multiple card holders in different prints for various purposes. My main ID drivers license and credit card is in my mono, business bank and CC is damier etc., for example. Digital network is not always reliable and available. Sometimes my phone is dead, my watch screen is too small, etc. That works for me. If you decide that you no longer have a use for yours you might as well sell them.

Last edited:
I try to not carry a huge bag, but the minis that are popular right now are too small for me. They are very cute, but perhaps not practical for my purposes.

I still work in an office (not at home) and am often out for quite a chunk of time when I leave the house in the morning, so I like to have things with me that I may need or want.

However, I do have SLGs and smaller bags that I can switch to when I need less with me. Maybe someday that will change, but for me, I do not see it happening right away.

Plus, my giant iPhone 12 Pro Max would not even fit in many of the tiny bags...

Thanks @blushnbellinlvoe! I just don’t want to regret it in the future but maybe I’ll keep my favorite and let all the others go and eventually wean myself off that one too - our central bank launched a payment method now that doesn’t need the internet to make payments between people and have announced introducing digital currencies soon too - https://www.news18.com/news/busines...-payment-mode-for-feature-phones-4848356.html
Good luck in whatever you decide. Anything newer does not always prove itself to better. Different advantages but also possible unseen downsides. Remember when they said lasik eye surgery would rid the world of eyeglasses or ereaders would replace books? Just food for thought. I’m sure I can always repurpose my SLGs if the time ever comes.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Anything newer does not always prove itself to better. Different advantages but also possible unseen downsides. Remember when they said lasik eye surgery would rid the world of eyeglasses or ereaders would replace books? Just food for thought. I’m sure I can always repurpose my SLGs if the time ever comes.
Thanks again! But not sure I follow - after ereaders I honestly haven’t bought a book to read - I know digital erasure of such knowledge is a huge concern, essentially online book burning but from a convenience standpoint I find more books available easily and cost effectively, can you elaborate your concerns around the downsides vs advantages? I think most people right now are okay with going online for gpay or Apple Pay, and it’s all tracked but we’ve happily given our personal data to stores for years storing our information and sharing it as they please in exchange for a few cents off the purchase..in fact, we’ve even bought expensive luxury slgs to carry them around on us all the time smh..

Last edited:
I still use my big bags for work during the week (Noe GM and Speedy 40), but on the weekends I use my Alma BB and tbh it's sufficient. I can basically only fit my wallet, eyeglasses, lipstick, phone and keys...but it's really all I need on the weekends. I don't know why, maybe it's habit, but I still like carrying my big bags for work, even though I don't really use that much stuff. I still carry my medium agenda which fits nicely in my Speedy 40 and Noe, but even then I don't use it as much because I store most appointments in my phone now. I think it's just a habit I can't seem to break.

This will never happen for me. I appreciate that for many people, long wallets are obsolete because we carry less (or no!) cash these days, and so many cards are now available in a digital format, but personally, while I rarely use physical cash, I prefer to carry physical cards. I also use a physical agenda, I almost always carry a book with me, I like to have my water bottle with me and crucially I hate carrying things in my pockets, so I will always need a bag!

I like your question:smile: I’d carefully say yes. The young generation might find no use for handbags and SLGs due to the common use of tech and comfort that comes with it. However. The handbags, bags and slgs might stay around for good as they are now: an accessory, a status symbol, a pretty object to admire…I can’t imagine leaving home without my bag and purse they are useful to me and I like how they complete my outfits…but that’s me (I’m a middle aged, middle class female). Who knows what the future holds for our societies ;)

For me, it depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. When I'm just running out to take care of some quick things, I'll just stick my phone in my pocket and use my cles to hold my license and debit/credit cards. If I need slightly more, like if I know I need multiple credit cards or store cards, I'll use a small bag and take a wallet. When I go to work, I still use a tote because I just have more stuff I need to take. I don't feel comfortable having everything on my phone, so I don't think I'm going to get rid of using bags 100% of the time. Also, I like bags too much! If I'm using one, I need one that can at least fit my phone and a card case. I don't think I could ever go smaller.

Very interesting. My MIL who lives and works in Shanghai told me a few years ago that everything was basically done through the phone in the city. Bus and subway passes are on the cell phone, payments done through the phone for everything from taxi, groceries, any kind of shopping. When she runs errands, all she brings is literally her phone and her keys. So she doesn't necessarily even bring a bag with her when she goes out.
However, when she goes to work, she still needs to bring her files, tablet, probably a water bottle, umbrella, etc. so she has a work tote.

I have definitely downsized in my SLGs to mainly cardholders. There are periods of time when I'm more into using cash or I receive cash, so I put my cards aside and just use the cash until it's gone; that's when I switch to wallets.

I have always preferred carrying less but I have just enough stuff to warrant carrying a small bag. Most of the time I'll carry my phone, keys, wallet. Maybe a lipbalm or lipstick but honestly I almost never reach for it. I'm not a makeup touch-up kind of person. And if I'm going to be outside all day, a pair of sunglasses but that's pretty much it. Hand sanitizer and extra masks are always in the car and I can quickly put them in my bag if needed.
I use my long wallets to mainly store old or less frequently used cards.

This is all of course, when I'm at home, in the US. When I travel abroad, that's a bit different. There are many countries or smaller cities that still prefer cash, so it's always very handy to carry some cash around or spare change for tips, parking, a quick snack, etc. Especially if you go to certain local spots like the night markets in Taiwan or China, many of the places are small businesses and family owned, and they prefer cash (though they have definitely become more tech friendly throughout the years, depends on where you go!)