Is tech replacing the need for bags and SLGs entirely?

Are bags still needed or handsfree preferred?

• Slings and tiny bags are plenty

• I prefer handsfree and light!

• I still need a Large bag

Results are only viewable after voting.
I noticed most payment modes have moved into my phone so you barely have to carry cash cards and a wallet and with the deliberate push towards tiny bags, it seems like society is pushing everything digitally online which seems to eliminate needing as many or any of my LV Chanel SLGs for cards coins etc. tissue and sanitizers are available everywhere today as are other bits and bobs as and when you need them. Leaving just keys and a mobile phone on your person to pocket, put in the car dash, or at the most carry in a small sling with a card slot in it. Is the need for bags and SLGs essentially being made unnecessary in society? And if it is, what uses can we use for our bags like the Gabrielle or LV speedy 30s etc?
Not that I mind the shift per se, I quite like being so hands free & light but I’m also wondering what happens to the collection of over 25 SLGs and 40 bags + resale values if in 5 yrs we don’t need to carry around bags and wallets in regular daily use. With work from homes and lesser places to roam/travel to, threats of robberies like the one at Chanel this week, I do prefer my neck and shoulder comfort over the large totes I used to tote, but are now sitting on shelves unutilized. What do you think, is this a deliberate move towards a more relaxed society or is there more to this? The way luxury houses are increasing their prices is another deterrent to be buying these goods right now that have marginal value if you already have something that fulfills the purpose of carry things and cards/cash. Any there any other uses for the larger bags and SLGs that you’ve brought into use in more creative ways that brings you joy? Would love to hear!

Last edited:
I would love to get to the point of not having to carry so many things, I still have different store credit cards and gift cards and like to have them with me so if I'm shopping I can use them. If more places had apps for their giftcards like Starbucks does that would be great. I would still use my current medium and large sized bags at times, but would like to use the smaller bags my wallet won't fit in too. Once in awhile I will just pull out my ID and 1 credit card but it's just easier to have all my things with me.

I pretty much exclusively wear mini bags now, with the exception of my Hermes Evelyne when I need to carry more. Rewind 10 years ago and I was BIG on big bags like totes and hobos. Now those only get pulled out for the odd workday or traveling as a carry on. The only things I need to carry 90% of the time are phone and cardholder wallet... maybe a pair of sunglasses or chapstick on a seasonal basis. Keyless locks and cars have been so convenient.

I think I am moving in reverse. Since college, I consistently use small crossbody bags - the speedy 25 is my largest bag. I love being hands free or using just a wallet for quick errands. Although I primarily use casual totes for pool /beach side (Tokidoki, mud Pie, etc.), I want to fill a void in my collection. I now have an itch for a large designer tote.

I never liked big bags so even before the small/mini trend I opted for smaller size bags. I find in the winter I can quite easily go hands free as I can use jacket/coat pockets for phone, keys, small sanitizer...In the summer that's not always easy.

I think the card holders and bags are here to stay for now as many people carry glasses and other items.

I am amused that the long wallets are still sold though...they used to be for checkbooks and storing cash bills without folding. That is starting to feel obsolete...

As someone who catches public transport to work (on the waitlist for parking :lol: ) I find I still need a decent sized bag to carry my daily things to work (water bottle, lunch, keys, diary etc.) so I use my Neverfull GM. I am a weird creature, I have paypass on my phone etc. but I like having a wallet with cards "just in case". I also use both my phone and a paper agenda for my calendar... so I guess I have one foot in the early 2000's and one in the 2020s!

I won't ever part or stop using bags like the Speedy or Neverfull, I like the option of having extra room to throw something in. I personally haven't loved any of the new 'mini' bags (ie. Speedy nano, Loewe puzzle mini etc.), like small dogs- tiny bags don't float my boat.

As someone who catches public transport to work (on the waitlist for parking :lol: ) I find I still need a decent sized bag to carry my daily things to work (water bottle, lunch, keys, diary etc.) so I use my Neverfull GM. I am a weird creature, I have paypass on my phone etc. but I like having a wallet with cards "just in case". I also use both my phone and a paper agenda for my calendar... so I guess I have one foot in the early 2000's and one in the 2020s!

I won't ever part or stop using bags like the Speedy or Neverfull, I like the option of having extra room to throw something in. I personally haven't loved any of the new 'mini' bags (ie. Speedy nano, Loewe puzzle mini etc.), like small dogs- tiny bags don't float my boat.
I agree that they work for folks still having to go into work; despite being a millennial I think working from home has allowed me to embrace a more relaxed approach to needing bag sort of like a retirement lifestyle, laid back with nothing to really carry anymore. So unless my lifestyle changes I don’t see myself being able to use these any longer. Which also makes me wonder if the utility for bags is because people work a 9-5? Grocery and other runs usually seem to work with cash cards in a small wallet, water is also available everywhere, and a jacket and umbrella can be in the car or tied around the waist..

Ye
The world is always changing/evolving. But I am not a fan of spending so much money for tiny card holders and bags.

I find myself to carry little to needing some more stuff and preferring more buffer space. I don’t want my bag to be like tetris.
It sure is! And that’s why I’m wondering if we’re forcing ourselves to use them because it was a sign of women freedom and empowerment back in the 50’s - if our world has changed then we should be okay embracing it’s freedom now vs doing things in the name of heritage and traditions that are still being pushed by fashion houses. I’m thinking not everyone needs a bag and not as many need a luxury high end trendy bag when say going into work or when walking or using public transport - so we adjust and embrace the times we’re in..

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger
I think it depends on one’s personal responsibilities. There’s work, but there’s also kids (or elderly parents). Snacks, water bottle, medicine pills, etc. Even if it’s just me and my husband, he will expect me to have a pack of tissues on me. And I have a work phone and a personal phone so I always consider bag size recognizing that. The need for a bag bag will always be around even if it’s lessened.

Such an interesting conversation.

My life is not one thing though:

If I'm in the hills all day or on the beach I'll need to take things just in case including something to sit on, a packed lunch, sometimes a book as well as extras like sunglasses or extra jumper. A backpack or beach bag is the only way. There are no SLGs needed but I still need the size of bag.

If I'm WFH I probably don't need any bag. My break will be going out for a walk to nowhere and back. That has been a challenge using any bags let alone SLGs.

For shopping I still need a shopper, so my 36-50cm totes are still relevant. These little cardholders are great for putting in pockets or inside zipped compartments but they are also much easier to lose and misplace. I print out or ask for a paper receipt because of expenses or the supermarket (often makes mistakes, and never in my favour).

In everyday going to work mode, once I'm out the door, I'm out all day. Public transport (4 hours) sometimes meetings where looking down at a phone can look like your scrolling Insta rathe than taking notes so I use an H agenda or Eazip. Site visits, it's much quicker to take notes on paper and transfer to computer later (although I use phone for pics). If I'm going out after I may have some make-up a change of scarf etc. I sometimes need my Travel Bolide for a change of clothes and I'm carrying it with my H Evie (cross-body) and a operate laptop case. SLGs or none, would make no difference to me, I'd still need a range of bags.

Last edited:
Once you hit mid-life or soon thereafter, most need reading glasses (if not already wearing glasses). All my friends need to carry reading glasses now which requires more room in bags. It’s kinda funny going out to a restaurant when we all have to whip them out to read the menu. So maybe large bags aren’t needed but large enough for phone, wallet, reading glasses, maybe sunglasses, and other items like mask, tissue, lipstick/gloss, etc.

My age category says I’m an early millennial but I do not behave entirely like one. For one, I prefer having some cash on me, always. If I spilt bills with friends, I always return them in cash (and be label as a dinosaurs). So, wallet (with cards, cash and coins compartment) is a must. I do use tech when I have to, pay bills online or via apps. But I’m still taking out my cards to swipe when making payment rather than with my phone or smart watch. I know I’m not ultilising the beauty of tech much, but fear of losing that data to some hacker is always at the back of my mind.
I mostly own small to medium sized bags because I tend to overpack and it gets heavy. I don’t drive so I need to carry my life in the bag and I ditched a lot of things I used to carry from my everyday work bag to lighten the load on my shoulders. I won’t be called a minimalist by others but I am as minimal as I can get because prolong heavy weight on my shoulders causes pain. So I will still be buying bags and some SLGs. Still relevant.

Exactly! I feel like the lock-ins made us realize we really use very little from all the things we carry all around with us and it’s really not that necessary a small bag that fits these basics like a rect mini or even - a WOC works very well now and can be a one and done deal! I’m still wondering if I should sell all the totes and slgs cause they might never really come into good use again - and if I must take a trip that needs a large bag any generic accessorize foldable bag will do the job..

Reactions: NWGal
Exactly! I feel like the lock-ins made us realize we really use very little from all the things we carry all around with us and it’s really not that necessary a small bag that fits these basics like a rect mini or even - a WOC works very well now and can be a one and done deal! I’m still wondering if I should sell all the totes and slgs cause they might never really come into good use again - and if I must take a trip that needs a large bag any generic accessorize foldable bag will do the job..
You sound like you have arrived at bag peaceland. If you are sure, it’s always good to discharge off things you have no use for. At least the prices they fetch will be better now than later. :heart: