Is she trying to scam me?I need your help

shahadimd

Oct 31, 2018
Hi,
So I want to buy Pochette Metis and I found a seller on Poshmark. She told me she can sell the bag for $950 via Venmo. I'm very confused. She shared the bill and a lot of pictures of the bag and it's authentic. I'm not sure if I'm so lucky or if she's trying to scam me.
I told her I can pay like $1400-1600 via Poshmark and you'll get same money if not more she said she's in hurry to sell because she's going on vacation this Friday and usually Poshmark holds the money for 3 days after the buyer receive the item and approve it.

According to her the bag is in very good condition no flaws just small scratches.

I think I will pass, but what do you think guys? Photos attached.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,099
  • s-l500 (5).jpg
    s-l500 (5).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,093
  • LV Pochette Metis 11.jpg
    LV Pochette Metis 11.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:
Sketchy. I’d pass and here’s why. Selling via a site like eBay, Poshmark, Tradesy, et cetera comes with built in protection for the buyer should the item not be as described. Via these channels, you have resources if it’s a fake or there is undisclosed damage or another issue. PayPal (depending on how the money is sent) and Venmo, at least how I understand them, are more sending money to friends and family. Therefore, there aren’t as many protections in place for you as the buyer of the seller is scamming or deceiving you somehow. Bottom line is if she wanted to sell and needed the money she’d do so on the up and up, even if it means slightly less money for her.

Sketchy. I’d pass and here’s why. Selling via a site like eBay, Poshmark, Tradesy, et cetera comes with built in protection for the buyer should the item not be as described. Via these channels, you have resources if it’s a fake or there is undisclosed damage or another issue. PayPal (depending on how the money is sent) and Venmo, at least how I understand them, are more sending money to friends and family. Therefore, there aren’t as many protections in place for you as the buyer of the seller is scamming or deceiving you somehow. Bottom line is if she wanted to sell and needed the money she’d do so on the up and up, even if it means slightly less money for her.
I read Venmo security section and you are correct.
"Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection. Business usage of Venmo requires an application and explicit authorization."

Reactions: Pagan and epeLV
I read Venmo security section and you are correct.
"Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection. Business usage of Venmo requires an application and explicit authorization."
Exactly. The bag pictured could very well be authentic but you could be shipped a fake. Not worth the risk imho. If it’s too good to be true it probably is.

It will be delayed a few days for Posh authenticators in Redwood City CA, and then go to you. You have up to 3 days to inspect and accept or report a problem. Meaning you could accept it upon receipt of all is well and her money goes right to her posh account.

I do not understand the need to rush and that alone would make me question the purchase. It wasn’t you, the buyer, who needed this by a certain time for a gift/event/etc. The Venmo adds another red flag.

Please do not do this. It is too much money to risk and there is no reason to. Just my opinion. It could be okay, but then certainly it can wait. Venmo offers the buyer no protection or recourse.

Hi,
So I want to buy Pochette Metis and I found a seller on Poshmark. She told me she can sell the bag for $950 via Venmo. I'm very confused. She shared the bill and a lot of pictures of the bag and it's authentic. I'm not sure if I'm so lucky or if she's trying to scam me.
I told her I can pay like $1400-1600 via Poshmark and you'll get same money if not more she said she's in hurry to sell because she's going on vacation this Friday and usually Poshmark holds the money for 3 days after the buyer receive the item and approve it.

According to her the bag is in very good condition no flaws just small scratches.

I think I will pass, but what do you think guys? Photos attached.
I agree with most other comments, Poshmark has policies in place that protects the Buyer. I have purchased LV items from PM, and their authentication process takes about three days. Maybe she needed to leave for vacation before the authentication process and funds transfer was completed. After I received my bag, I accepted delivery on PM website, then they transfer the funds to the Seller, so probably 4-5 days total. Not sure if Venmo offers any protection for Buyers.

Last edited: