Is paypal mandatory??

chloe292

Feb 9, 2007
Hey Everyone

This is probably I really stupid question but I have searched high and low here and the (useless) ebay help pages and cant find what I am looking for!!

Paypal is required to be offered as a method of payment by the seller right??? So the seller is saying she will only accept a cheque or whatever, not paypal, but she has to accept PP right?

This b* is selling a designer bag, she only has 2 fb (for spanners or something) and thinks I am going to send her a cheque!? She is dreaming :roflmfao:

I am not too familiar with paypal requirements, but I would hesitate to send a check, especially if she does not have a lot of feedback. Paypal protects you and there is a record, etc.

I am not too familiar with paypal requirements, but I would hesitate to send a check, especially if she does not have a lot of feedback. Paypal protects you and there is a record, etc.

Oh I definitely wont be sending a cheque, no worries about that! I havent bid let alone won yet, once I find out about pp requirements (if I am right of course) I will email her and tell her if I win im going to be paying by PP and if she doesnt like it she can tell it to my derriere lol. If not she will be missing out on my business there is no way I would buy a bag on ebay using anything other than paypal!

A seller is not required to offer paypal. A seller is allowed to offer a merchant account providing it is accepted & approved by *bay. I would not send a check. In fact, checks are no longer allowed by *bay.

A seller is not required to offer paypal. A seller is allowed to offer a merchant account providing it is accepted & approved by *bay. I would not send a check. In fact, checks are no longer allowed by *bay.

By merchant account do you mean say google checkout?

So in the body of the auction, the seller says she will accept a bank transfer or a cheque but then further down there is the payment box with PP included and it says "accepted" (as opposed to "preferred") so would I be able to argue that in her auction she is stating she accepts PP and is therefore bound to accept a PP payment?

By merchant account do you mean say google checkout?

So in the body of the auction, the seller says she will accept a bank transfer or a cheque but then further down there is the payment box with PP included and it says "accepted" (as opposed to "preferred") so would I be able to argue that in her auction she is stating she accepts PP and is therefore bound to accept a PP payment?

Sounds like the seller added a paypal account that may not even exist. Ex. she put any address in the paypal box just to pacify *bay so the listing would go thru. The seller sounds shady to me. I would stay away. Better yet, email ebay and tell them she has pp checked as an acceptable form of payment yet she won't let you pay using pp. Ebay will/should take her listing down (in 2012 no doubt:roflmfao:) or they can make her prove she does indeed have a paypal account.

A merchant account is any cc processor. Google checkout is just one of many. You have to have ebay's approval and submit documentation, invoices and such before they will approve a seller for a merchant account.

Does she even have a PP account? You have to activate it and be confirmed etc. The old days of money orders and checks are gone, alas (not to mention the level of trust that was on ebay)

This might help answer your question:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Payment options for most listings

For most listing categories, you need to offer at least one electronic payment or Internet merchant credit card option. Payment upon pickup is an option, too. You can set most payment preferences using My eBay.
You'll be offered payment options as you list your item. Payment options for most listings include:

Notes:

• Payment by personal check, cashier’s check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases.

• This doesn't apply to: some Motors categories, the Real Estate and Adult Only categories, and capital equipment. For a list of excluded categories, see Accepted Payments policy.

No, it's not mandatory. IMO, why "argue" with her about the method of payment? Those are her terms, whether they're in compliance with fBay or not is another story... She's already stated that she won't do it through PayFoe, so I would just move on to the nexgt seller.