Is Patek Philippe Twenty-4 is timeless classic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 416842
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 416842

Hello Ladies,
I really enjoy reading about general chit-chat around jewelry here on forum and thought of discussing my watch dilemma..
After lot of consideration I ahve settled my mind on Patek Philippe Twenty-4 in all yellow gold with chocolate brown case.
I am attaching picture below.
This is a very expensive purchase for me and I only want to buy if its going to still look contemporary 20 years down the line.
I do not care much about watch precision (so quartx is fine). Its basically going to serve as a watch and piece of jewelry for me.
I am petite asian and have Rolex TT, Cartier Tank SS , Omega Constellation gold and Chopard happy sport with rubber strap in white color already.
I wear both yellow and gold jewelry (minimal) and intend to use PP watch as evening/ dressy occasion watch.
Please elt me know your thoughts. Would like to buy it if you thik its going to withstand test of time..

Thanks for your time ladies...

Attachments

• WC7002-1-2.jpg
    WC7002-1-2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,239
I have a Patek that was passed down to me from a family member. I have the
watch for 20+ years.

Personally, this PP is very classic & wearable. You will enjoy it for many years to
come & would have no qualms about wearing this everyday either especially now
the fall is coming

This had to be a long term classic.

PP is a long standing quality watch company and tank style is also a classic. Gold and diamonds never go out of style. Don't see how you can go wrong with this beauty.

Love to know what you decide to do.

Hello Ladies,

I really enjoy reading about general chit-chat around jewelry here on forum and thought of discussing my watch dilemma..

After lot of consideration I ahve settled my mind on Patek Philippe Twenty-4 in all yellow gold with chocolate brown case.

I am attaching picture below.

This is a very expensive purchase for me and I only want to buy if its going to still look contemporary 20 years down the line.

I do not care much about watch precision (so quartx is fine). Its basically going to serve as a watch and piece of jewelry for me.

I am petite asian and have Rolex TT, Cartier Tank SS , Omega Constellation gold and Chopard happy sport with rubber strap in white color already.

I wear both yellow and gold jewelry (minimal) and intend to use PP watch as evening/ dressy occasion watch.

Please elt me know your thoughts. Would like to buy it if you thik its going to withstand test of time..

Thanks for your time ladies...

This is a beautiful watch but personally I think it MAY look dated in 20+ years time. I hesitated to comment, but I am in your shoes - I am thinking really hard about my next watch purchase and intend to buy one that will last for decades. I've been doing as much research as I can and talking to anyone I know who is really qualified on the topic. I was interested in the twenty4 initially too. After MUCH discussion with a friend who works at Patek, and also a long meeting with the assistant mgr at the Place Vendome Patek boutique, as well as other watch collectors and enthusiasts, their unified opinion is against the 24, which was interesting to me. If you are interested in a Patek in particular, all of them highly recommended the Calatrava and it's variants, as well as the Nautilus (2nd place and frankly too sporty for me). I don't know if this is helpful, but that is what they all felt was much more classic. Good luck!!!

Thank you all for your reply..
hopingoneday and LVNatic your response is much appreciated.
hopingoneday, you have really helped me clear my mind.
I really like PP Rwenty-4 in Yellow and Rose gold at present but I agree I cant say with confidence that its a timeless design.
I looked at Calatrava but it felt too plain to me. Its elegant but I am looking for something which is elegant but a bit special too. I Thought about Aquanaut but was too sporty and I am really happy with my chopard happy sports for casual outings.
I have most of other watches in Oyster/pearl finish so thought should try something in black/dark face.
Unfortunately PP Twenty-4 in yellow/rose gold finish with white dial just did not make as an impressive statement as one with black/brown dial.
purplepoodles, thank, I am going to take a month to deliberate and once I take a plunge I will come back to show my beauty. I am just not sure whats it going to be :smile:

That is an interesting topic as I plan to buy a Twenty 4 also. I've always considered this as the ultimate classic ladies watch for 3 reasons: 1. Because it's a Patek, 2. Because it's tank style which is always classic and lastly because it is somehow a jewelry watch.
I would really like to know why the person who works at Patek as well as the Patek sales associate both didn't consider the twenty 4 a timeless classic for years to come?
For Patek it's a quite "young" design yes, but still it's already on the market since 1999, which means 15 years.
Of course the Nautilus is an amazing watch as well, but it is sporty and if you like rectangular watches I.e. the tank style a Calatrava or Nautilus may be beautiful but not your taste. And out of all the tank styles that are on the market among luxury brands, to me no one comes near the twenty 4.
Anyways I strongly consider it a classic and will not hesitate to buy it, but in stainless steel with eternal grey dial. :smile:
Maybe you should look into the Cartier Tank Americaine - it comes in yellow gold with lots of diamonds too and is already considered and ultra elegant classic piece.
Please keep us updated!!!

This is a gorgeous watch and I believe will remain a classic in 20 years or more. It will also provide a nice variety away from your other watches. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you all for your reply..

hopingoneday and LVNatic your response is much appreciated.

hopingoneday, you have really helped me clear my mind.

I really like PP Rwenty-4 in Yellow and Rose gold at present but I agree I cant say with confidence that its a timeless design.

I looked at Calatrava but it felt too plain to me. Its elegant but I am looking for something which is elegant but a bit special too. I Thought about Aquanaut but was too sporty and I am really happy with my chopard happy sports for casual outings.

I have most of other watches in Oyster/pearl finish so thought should try something in black/dark face.

Unfortunately PP Twenty-4 in yellow/rose gold finish with white dial just did not make as an impressive statement as one with black/brown dial.

purplepoodles, thank, I am going to take a month to deliberate and once I take a plunge I will come back to show my beauty. I am just not sure whats it going to be :smile:

It sounds like you and I have the same taste. If they would make a ladies Calatrava with even just a single row of diamonds around the face, that would be the perfect watch for me. Something with just a little bit more femininity and sparkle :smile:. Do let me know what you decide on. I was so indecisive after doing lots of research that I have decided to take a little break for a while, sort of in hopes that perhaps something new might come out for 2015!!! I even asked Patek if they would do a special order with diamonds around the face and they said no :sad:. I guess if I were a VIP customer that might be an option, but I'm not! LOL

That is an interesting topic as I plan to buy a Twenty 4 also. I've always considered this as the ultimate classic ladies watch for 3 reasons: 1. Because it's a Patek, 2. Because it's tank style which is always classic and lastly because it is somehow a jewelry watch.

I would really like to know why the person who works at Patek as well as the Patek sales associate both didn't consider the twenty 4 a timeless classic for years to come?

For Patek it's a quite "young" design yes, but still it's already on the market since 1999, which means 15 years.

Of course the Nautilus is an amazing watch as well, but it is sporty and if you like rectangular watches I.e. the tank style a Calatrava or Nautilus may be beautiful but not your taste. And out of all the tank styles that are on the market among luxury brands, to me no one comes near the twenty 4.

Anyways I strongly consider it a classic and will not hesitate to buy it, but in stainless steel with eternal grey dial. :smile:

Maybe you should look into the Cartier Tank Americaine - it comes in yellow gold with lots of diamonds too and is already considered and ultra elegant classic piece.

Please keep us updated!!!

I know, I was quite surprised too. I think – and forgive me, because I am really not that knowledgeable about watches yet – part of it is a snobby thing. I definitely got the vibe that they look down on twenty4 watches as purely a fashion play, made specifically to compete with Cartier, not really emblematic of the workmanship that the house is known for. They didn't even really pause to consider them – they were just completely dismissive, as if a serious watch buyer would not really consider them! And I was a little bit too shy to push it and ask to be educated further :sad: It's funny, I have actually been eyeing both the tank Americaine and the tank Louis as a possible watch to wear just because i too like the tank style. That would leave budgetary room for a "serious" heirloom/forever watch. But then another part of me feels that that would be wasteful and I should just be patient and try to find the perfect watch. Aargh! Men seem to have so many more options than women do!

But there is a Calatrava Ladies Version with diamonds, that is very beautiful!!! It comes on a creme or Black Satin strap and in white or yellow gold. Wait I try to find the link, I just visited the Patek website a few minutes ago...

I know, I was quite surprised too. I think – and forgive me, because I am really not that knowledgeable about watches yet – part of it is a snobby thing. I definitely got the vibe that they look down on twenty4 watches as purely a fashion play, made specifically to compete with Cartier, not really emblematic of the workmanship that the house is known for. They didn't even really pause to consider them – they were just completely dismissive, as if a serious watch buyer would not really consider them! And I was a little bit too shy to push it and ask to be educated further :sad: It's funny, I have actually been eyeing both the tank Americaine and the tank Louis as a possible watch to wear just because i too like the tank style. That would leave budgetary room for a "serious" heirloom/forever watch. But then another part of me feels that that would be wasteful and I should just be patient and try to find the perfect watch. Aargh! Men seem to have so many more options than women do!

Well, I kind of saw the arguments coming. Patek Phillippe is such a prestigious brand that doesn't see itself on the same level than "jewelry" watch brands such as Cartier, Chopard etc. The craftsmanship behind is what makes a Patek a Patek. But still they had to design a contemporary ladies model, because Patek watches are in general more maskuline looking. Even with exceptions of their haute joaillaire pieces which are solely which are solely available in gold and mostly with lots of diamonds so that they are not everyone's budget...but what I wanted to say initially - they had to design a watch that was for every woman, which explains why the twenty 4 comes in quartz and mainly in stainless steel.
So you can consider it as their "starting" model for female Patek fans. This being said I strongly believe that the twenty 4 is already a classic and THE ladies watch in Pateks range which will still be there in at least 20 years. Somewhere I have read that the twenty 4 was the most successfully selling model in their range ever. So if they are not redo the design or make it in automatic, it should stay the classic that it already is.
And of course men do think differently about watches than women do. Because if we did, beautiful and very classic watches like from Cartier or other brands wouldn't have their right of exsistance. :smile: so with everything it's about what YOU think is YOUR classic, not others that maybe think way too much about prestige or technical stuff - because where does there be the fun?! :smile:

I am not a fan of quartz watches. A true classic needs to be automatic.

I am a huge fan of Rolexes. I would suggest getting a ladies all gold or rose gold with diamonds.

Rolexes are a classic and iconic. It has stood the test of time and price continues to go up.