is pantyhose a requirement for work?

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
Reaaally random question, lol.

I'm just wondering because my friend posted something about having to wear pantyhose for work on fb. Is this true of everywhere or just maybe in the conservative areas?

i think it's kind of dated so nowadays it's not necessary to wear pantyhose to work, weddings, etc. and people won't think twice about it. i guess in conservative areas it's a more popular choice though, and in the winter, it can be a good idea if you plan to wear a skirt to work.

depends on the field but yes it can be a requirement(and i like it that way i do not want to see naked legs or open toed shoes in fact nothing too stylish or overt at my bankers or lawyers )

Certain companies in the law, consultancy, accounting and banking field will require this - especially from employees who face clients frequently. Some require you to wear pantyhose, others won't allow you to wear trousers. It's basically their version of a uniform and what they consider good clothing etiquette towards clients.

Ditto the previous poster - it's just standard in some very conservative professions. My good friend who's a lawyer has to wear them every day - part of the culture in her office. I work in finance and although we dress professionally, I rarely see women wearing hose - especially the younger women. I forgo them myself, except for occassionally in the winter.

it just depends on your environment I guess

I went to the state capitol building in Austin yesterday to pass out things to legislators, and I was actually shocked at the number of women and interns that did not wear hose. I had no idea, i was covered from head to toe, I thought it was very conservative there, but I guess not as much anymore? who knows, its different everywhere.

I worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers as an auditor until mid-2000. Right before I left, they started relaxing the dress code quite a bit in my office. I wore hose early on, but seldom did toward the end, except to my financial services clients.

I think law and banking tend to be very conservative. I also note that certain parts of the country tend to be pretty conservative as far as hosiery goes. I live in Florida and you do not see them much as as other place.

I rarely wear hosiery now and I work in the finance department of a large public company.

Hosiery is standard in many conservative fields like banking and law. It actually doesn't vary as much by region as it does by office culture. While I never wear panyhose outside of work (except opaque tights in the winter), I did wear them when I worked. I think they are hideous and horrible, but there are many jobs where a person definitely does not want to break dress code.

I work for a place that I consider fairly conservative (Uncle Sam) and we don't have a dress code, pretty much anything goes except ripped jeans and spaghetti strapped tank tops. I never wear hose--I don't like it. Some of the older ladies do, but most of the younger ones usually forgo it. I do, however, wear tights during the winters.

I guess it really depends on your office culture and dress code policy.