Is my dog sick? (shiba owners in particularly..)

Myrkur

Góðan Daginn
Jun 9, 2011
Please help!! I have a 3,5 year old Shiba Inu. He's showing some really scary behavior. He have had this a few times before, but normally it's in the middle of the night. His whole body is shaking, he is panting like an idiot, his tongue is sooo long and his breathing goes just soo fast. He keeps hiding his face to my body, somewhere underneath my arms or legs or whatever, like he feels scared. He is also 'howling' and 'crying' .. but in a shiba way.

So is this just a shiba asking for attention in a weird way or is he really sick? I have a puppy and two cats, so if he is sick, i'm afraid he will affect them.

Sounds to me like he is scared - like a panic attack. I would think if he was sick he would be exhibiting this behaviour all the time. If I was in this position, I would have a chat with the vet. Good luck!

I don't have a Shiba but I would take him to the vet to have him checked out in case it could be epilepsy.

Sorry, I didn't see what chessmont wrote before I posted.

So I went to the vet today, he says it's stress the way i discribed it. My mum thinks because he has a whole past he can't forget. We got him from an other family a year ago, he is still afraid we leave him somewhere or that we will get rid of him or anything. He has had these things before. Probably now we have the puppy he feels that way again, like we're gonna replace him with the puppy....

Does anyone have tips how I can help him get over his past? I give him sooo much attention, we play a lot, go to the dog park, he gets everything first, then the cats and puppy... I don't know how I can help him with this. I feel really sorry and guilty he feels stressed.