Is my Classic Q Natasha normal or is it just me?

longchamper

Dec 30, 2009
Hi from a first time MBMJ-er :smile:

After having retired from the Purseforum some time ago to put my existing bags to good use and try to feel if there any any major gaps in my purse warderobe, I came to an understanding that I seriously miss one type of bag - the comfortable yet stylish medium-size weekend/travel crossbody, which can fit an iPad and bottle of water (though not at the same time!), as well as my hat and gloves during winter when I am temporarily indoors and don't want to loose them. I adore my loyal companion Mulberry Anthony but let's face it - it can fit none of those items. Having done my homework, including lurking around on tPF, I realized that the Classic Q Natasha is exactly what I need - even despite the fact I prefer not to have any visual branding but I convinced myself the branding on the plaque is not very obvious...

So today I received my new bag with great excitement and the first thing I saw was that the metal plaque was crooked. Sure, it was crooked by only 2-3mm but it was all I could see. After two hours, I am not sure I notice it at this point as much anymore but I remember my initial reaction. Admitting I might have a mild case of OCD and a hard case of perfectionism, here I am asking you guys if you see what I saw. And thanks for your understanding - this kind and supportive community is where I even dare to pose such a question.

So, long story short - is the plaque on my new bag crooked or I am too being perfectionist about it?

IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0137.jpg
IMAG0135.jpg
IMAG0141.jpg

Last edited:
Also, is the metal snap supposed to be this high? I have a feeling that in terms of both practicality and esthetics, it should be just a bit lower, no?

I am sorry, this is my first experience with MBMJ bags and I just do not know what to expect, hence the perhaps simple questions.

IMAG0139.jpg

Also, is the metal snap supposed to be this high? I have a feeling that in terms of both practicality and esthetics, it should be just a bit lower, no?

I am sorry, this is my first experience with MBMJ bags and I just do not know what to expect, hence the perhaps simple questions.

View attachment 2391515
I have the MBMJ "Totally Turnlock Natasha" which is older and I just noticed (after reading your post) that the name plate -- in this case the decorative turnlock -- is crooked :lol:

Also, the magnetic closure under the flap is pretty high, but mine is covered.

Maybe it's just with the "Natasha" bags because of their shape? I haven't noticed that in my other MBMJ bags, but I didn't notice this one either, but I do now. It's not that big of a deal to me though since they're still very well made bags that are sturdy and hold up over time. And you do know that the MBMJ line is the mid-level Marc Jacobs bags (I'd say mid-level is comparable to Coach, Longchamp, Cole Haan -- top-level would be Gucci, Balenciaga, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Channel)?

I think it's hardly noticeable until you point it out to someone. And it's only decorative and doesn't interfere with functionality. :smile:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 997
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 987
Your post made me smile :smile: I also would say I am somewhat of a perfectionist. I had 3 MbMJ bags and 1 wallet (now 2), all with straight logo plates, prior to my Natasha purchase. I ordered it online and when I first looked at it, I said to myself, "well this one's going back".

But after I calmed down I looked at it more and tried it with my stuff in it. Now, although not "perfect", I can definitely live with it. I think the snap placement is fine. Whenever I carry this bag, I always get compliments on it. To me your 4th pic looks better for some reason. So I would suggest putting some of your stuff in it to see if it looks better to you.

But if you still are unhappy with it, I would return it. I know if I think something is crooked or not centered, I end up not using it and it is a big waste of money. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1384096705.391401.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1384096718.923674.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1384096740.239706.jpg

Alex575 and Mimmy, thanks for your thoughts and pictures! Your Natashas both look lovely.

Alex575, I am very sorry I made you notice that the decorative turnlock on your bag is crooked and I am glad you are not bothered by it. Regarding MBMJ being a mid-range line - I know it is and that I should not compare it to my Mulberrys nor Bottega Venetas, but nevertheless I expect it to be well-constructed and with no obvious flaws. Personally I don't think that is too much to expect from a mid-range bag...

Mimmy, the white Natasha is simply breathtaking! I admire everyone who can manage a white bag, as I am definitely not one to have white anything... And I was very glad to hear that you are the same way about symmetry. I, too, know that I will not end up using this bag at all if I continue to feel it is crooked.

I am realizing that the position of the magnetic closure is fine and being high up it allows you to put more stuff in the bag. However, I don't think I will get past the crookedness. Whenever I look at the bag or try it on, I just automatically want to grab the nametag and gently turn it to make it symmetric. Also, the top flap seems completely asymmetric, too, and this especially shows when I put something in the main compartment of the bag. On this photo, I have my iPad and scarf (neatly folded and carefully placed right in the middle, definitely not the reason causing this issue) and this is what happens... One side looks considerably taller than the other, an unexplainable weird crease and the crooked nametag only emphasizes it all.

IMAG0144.jpg

So, the bag is going back on Monday to exchange for another one. I am starting to realise that maybe the crooked nameplate is more of a rule than exception for the Natasha (even the promo photos on one of the major US retailers had a crooked tag) and it might be that the top flap also tends to be assymetric. But still, I know if I keep it, I will not use it, so I have to try and hope that the exchange item will be more symmetric. At least I don't think it could be much worse :smile:

Thank you guys, and fingers crossed!

alex575 and mimmy, thanks for your thoughts and pictures! Your natashas both look lovely.

Alex575, i am very sorry i made you notice that the decorative turnlock on your bag is crooked and i am glad you are not bothered by it. Regarding mbmj being a mid-range line - i know it is and that i should not compare it to my mulberrys nor bottega venetas, but nevertheless i expect it to be well-constructed and with no obvious flaws. Personally i don't think that is too much to expect from a mid-range bag...

Mimmy, the white natasha is simply breathtaking! I admire everyone who can manage a white bag, as i am definitely not one to have white anything... And i was very glad to hear that you are the same way about symmetry. I, too, know that i will not end up using this bag at all if i continue to feel it is crooked.

I am realizing that the position of the magnetic closure is fine and being high up it allows you to put more stuff in the bag. However, i don't think i will get past the crookedness. Whenever i look at the bag or try it on, i just automatically want to grab the nametag and gently turn it to make it symmetric. Also, the top flap seems completely asymmetric, too, and this especially shows when i put something in the main compartment of the bag. On this photo, i have my ipad and scarf (neatly folded and carefully placed right in the middle, definitely not the reason causing this issue) and this is what happens... One side looks considerably taller than the other, an unexplainable weird crease and the crooked nametag only emphasizes it all.

View attachment 2394451

so, the bag is going back on monday to exchange for another one. I am starting to realise that maybe the crooked nameplate is more of a rule than exception for the natasha (even the promo photos on one of the major us retailers had a crooked tag) and it might be that the top flap also tends to be assymetric. But still, i know if i keep it, i will not use it, so i have to try and hope that the exchange item will be more symmetric. At least i don't think it could be much worse :smile:

thank you guys, and fingers crossed!

You're welcome! I hope that you are able to find one that is a bit more aligned, I'm sure you will!
White birch bag is not too practical, but I love it!

Last edited:
Alex575 and Mimmy, thanks for your thoughts and pictures! Your Natashas both look lovely.

Alex575, I am very sorry I made you notice that the decorative turnlock on your bag is crooked and I am glad you are not bothered by it. Regarding MBMJ being a mid-range line - I know it is and that I should not compare it to my Mulberrys nor Bottega Venetas, but nevertheless I expect it to be well-constructed and with no obvious flaws. Personally I don't think that is too much to expect from a mid-range bag...

Mimmy, the white Natasha is simply breathtaking! I admire everyone who can manage a white bag, as I am definitely not one to have white anything... And I was very glad to hear that you are the same way about symmetry. I, too, know that I will not end up using this bag at all if I continue to feel it is crooked.

I am realizing that the position of the magnetic closure is fine and being high up it allows you to put more stuff in the bag. However, I don't think I will get past the crookedness. Whenever I look at the bag or try it on, I just automatically want to grab the nametag and gently turn it to make it symmetric. Also, the top flap seems completely asymmetric, too, and this especially shows when I put something in the main compartment of the bag. On this photo, I have my iPad and scarf (neatly folded and carefully placed right in the middle, definitely not the reason causing this issue) and this is what happens... One side looks considerably taller than the other, an unexplainable weird crease and the crooked nametag only emphasizes it all.

View attachment 2394451

So, the bag is going back on Monday to exchange for another one. I am starting to realise that maybe the crooked nameplate is more of a rule than exception for the Natasha (even the promo photos on one of the major US retailers had a crooked tag) and it might be that the top flap also tends to be assymetric. But still, I know if I keep it, I will not use it, so I have to try and hope that the exchange item will be more symmetric. At least I don't think it could be much worse :smile:

Thank you guys, and fingers crossed!
No need to apologize, longchamper :biggrin:

Yes, definitely take it back if bothers you. I'm like that with the sizes of the bag: I don't mind carrying something large but once it goes over a certain point, especially in depth, I won't use no matter how much I like it. I just sent back the Alexander McQueen Padlock Zip Around (that was black and silver tone hardware no less!) because the size was just too big. Last year, I bought myself a LV Speedy 35 Bandouliere, and at first I thought I could get used to the size, but I used it for about 2-3 weeks and it's been in my closet since, :hrmm: so we all have our pet peeves. I'm sure you'll find something that works better visually. If you're looking for something with crossbody capabilities try looking at Cole Haan.

Mimmy, I agree with longchamper, the white Natasha is nice. :tup:

No need to apologize, longchamper :biggrin:

Yes, definitely take it back if bothers you. I'm like that with the sizes of the bag: I don't mind carrying something large but once it goes over a certain point, especially in depth, I won't use no matter how much I like it. I just sent back the Alexander McQueen Padlock Zip Around (that was black and silver tone hardware no less!) because the size was just too big. Last year, I bought myself a LV Speedy 35 Bandouliere, and at first I thought I could get used to the size, but I used it for about 2-3 weeks and it's been in my closet since, :hrmm: so we all have our pet peeves. I'm sure you'll find something that works better visually. If you're looking for something with crossbody capabilities try looking at Cole Haan.

Mimmy, I agree with longchamper, the white Natasha is nice. :tup:

Thank you Alex575!

I have the MBMJ "Totally Turnlock Natasha" which is older and I just noticed (after reading your post) that the name plate -- in this case the decorative turnlock -- is crooked :lol:

Also, the magnetic closure under the flap is pretty high, but mine is covered.

Maybe it's just with the "Natasha" bags because of their shape? I haven't noticed that in my other MBMJ bags, but I didn't notice this one either, but I do now. It's not that big of a deal to me though since they're still very well made bags that are sturdy and hold up over time. And you do know that the MBMJ line is the mid-level Marc Jacobs bags (I'd say mid-level is comparable to Coach, Longchamp, Cole Haan -- top-level would be Gucci, Balenciaga, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Channel)?

I think it's hardly noticeable until you point it out to someone. And it's only decorative and doesn't interfere with functionality. :smile:
Hi, I noticed your bag has the hidden magnetic. I'm considering a lil Ukita, saw one listed but its with concealed magnetic too. So I want to know is the earlier bags come with concealed magnetic closure? Is your magnet strong? Do you find the flap being open easily? I may prefer the look of the exposed type but this bag is listed at a very attractive price.

Hi, I noticed your bag has the hidden magnetic. I'm considering a lil Ukita, saw one listed but its with concealed magnetic too. So I want to know is the earlier bags come with concealed magnetic closure? Is your magnet strong? Do you find the flap being open easily? I may prefer the look of the exposed type but this bag is listed at a very attractive price.
Hi Honeylicious!

I've only used my Natasha bag on a few occasions and the magnetic clasp keeps the flap shut very well, but I still keep wallet and important things in the zippered compartment; however, I have the MbMJ Preppy Hobo that also has the hidden magnetic closure (and incidentally in black and silver) that's about 3 or 4 years old at least -- so that must have been a definite design principle back then -- and I used that one daily for almost a full year -- I loved it ( and still do)!

On the Preppy Hobo, I found that the hidden magnet was strong and fairly easy to open and close the bag. It also seems to be more durable than the exposed magnetic snap closures only because the magnets are fully covered and there's no pulling away from the leather which sometimes happens on the exposed ones when you have to open the compartment. Also, each magnet is a flat round disc so you don't need to line them up precisely to get them to activate and shut like you have to do with the original type magnets. :smile:

And since you don't have line them up, you can shut the bag without even looking at the magnetic closure and you can hear and feel it snap closed.

I'm not familiar with the type on the Ukita, but if it looks like the ones on my bags they're pretty good. Here's some pics of the Preppy Hobo

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 882
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 879
Hi Honeylicious!

I've only used my Natasha bag on a few occasions and the magnetic clasp keeps the flap shut very well, but I still keep wallet and important things in the zippered compartment; however, I have the MbMJ Preppy Hobo that also has the hidden magnetic closure (and incidentally in black and silver) that's about 3 or 4 years old at least -- so that must have been a definite design principle back then -- and I used that one daily for almost a full year -- I loved it ( and still do)!

On the Preppy Hobo, I found that the hidden magnet was strong and fairly easy to open and close the bag. It also seems to be more durable than the exposed magnetic snap closures only because the magnets are fully covered and there's no pulling away from the leather which sometimes happens on the exposed ones when you have to open the compartment. Also, each magnet is a flat round disc so you don't need to line them up precisely to get them to activate and shut like you have to do with the original type magnets. :smile:

And since you don't have line them up, you can shut the bag without even looking at the magnetic closure and you can hear and feel it snap closed.

I'm not familiar with the type on the Ukita, but if it looks like the ones on my bags they're pretty good. Here's some pics of the Preppy Hobo
Thanks for your reply :smile: (sorry OP have to hijack your thread a little, I've posted this question on a few threads but no reply so far - and now I have to go home and check my Natasha tag, lol)
The Ukita flap would be more similar to your TT Natasha (found a picture, see attached) My Natasha has the newer exposed type magnetic. I'm just worry the hidden type might not be as secure, do you find those on your Natasha as strong? I'm actually worry about the wear and tear of the leather covering the magnets too~ But if yours have show no sign / not much sign of wear, than that's good enough for me! It sounds a lot more convenience compare to the exposed type too.
Less stressing on the leather is always good! Thanks

Attachments

• Ukita magnet.jpg
    Ukita magnet.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 903
  • Ukita flap.jpg
    Ukita flap.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply :smile: (sorry OP have to hijack your thread a little, I've posted this question on a few threads but no reply so far - and now I have to go home and check my Natasha tag, lol)
The Ukita flap would be more similar to your TT Natasha (found a picture, see attached) My Natasha has the newer exposed type magnetic. I'm just worry the hidden type might not be as secure, do you find those on your Natasha as strong? I'm actually worry about the wear and tear of the leather covering the magnets too~ But if yours have show no sign / not much sign of wear, than that's good enough for me! It sounds a lot more convenience compare to the exposed type too.
Less stressing on the leather is always good! Thanks
I think it should work just fine, Honeylicious. Let us know how it turns out.