Is Mercer leather prone to scratches?

SomethingWitty

b happy
Jul 29, 2009
Hi there! I saw some MJ Mercers totes in Off 5th the other day and was wondering for those of you that own styles in the Mercer leather, is this type of leather/finish prone to scratches? How does it hold up with light-moderate usage?

TIA!

Four Tails

O.G.
Jul 27, 2009
A good friend of mine is pretty rough on her bags and her Mercer tote takes a beating. I can't say I've ever noticed any blemishes. My Stams have held up quite well over the last 2-4 years so I have confidence in MJ leather.

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I've owned two mercer EW totes and the leather is extremely resilient. Neither bag had any scratches on it and I carried them pretty heavily -- those were my "go-to" bags on the days I had to run around, especially on days when I had the baby with me -- The mercer was one bag I never felt I had to be "extra" careful with -- very durable!

Mar 24, 2007
- NyC -
I don't know. I have the Mercer Satchel (the dome one) and I feel like the color is fading around the bottom half (not the bottom of the bag) on both the front and back. It's strange.

Izznit

haha no.
Aug 2, 2007
I have a mercer ZC and it's held up quite well! It's tossed inside my bag and shown no mercy. Very few scratches, and those were caused when I dropped it on the concrete after about four times...

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
One thing I forgot to mention is that I also found the Mercer leather very "water-friendly." I carried my Mercer EW Tote in wind, rain, snow and sleet and it never left a mark on it (and I never water-proofed it either!)

It was always the bag I reached for on my days off and I had the baby with me - I loaded all her stuff inside and carried it without ever giving a second thought to being extra careful with it. My first one (which was used more heavily than my second), didn't have a mark on it when I let it go. My second one didn't either (altho I had that one for a shorter amount of time and didn't use it as much as my first one). In fact, the second one pretty much still looked new when I let it go.

dee

Feb 15, 2006
I have one and have not noticed any scratches. I've had it over a year and have used it quit a bit. The leather is so soft and the bag has a lot of interior room.