Is Mahina Selene PM Worth the Price?

shelbyjo

Jan 5, 2010
My DH bought one for me for V-Day in white. I'm scared to death to carry it due to color transfer and the cost. I just think it's crazy to spend that kind of money on a purse that I'll have to be so careful with. He chose the white color because of how the pattern shows through the best on the white compared to the black or sandy color. He also liked the fact it is MIF.

I have to admit it's so soft and squishy. I just love the feel of the Mahina leather and the silver hardware is a nice change from the usual gold on all other LVs. It's my first leather LV so I'm really excited but I wonder if I'd rather have a Metis? Any other suggestions of one you would trade for if you were in my position or would you just keep it and enjoy whenever you can? I don't baby my other LVs - I use them and enjoy carrying them without having to worry too much about what happens to them but at over $3500 for the Selene....YIKES!

Does anyone know of any new styles coming out in the next month or so in the US that would make a good swap?

I'm really torn on keeping it or trading for something different.

Y not trade it for a different color

The métis in empriente is coming out for 2900
I just did a search and found some of the pictures people have posted here for the new colors. Might have to go see my SA this Friday and see if she has any info on which one's they'll be getting and when they expect to receive them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I love that bag, but yes, I would be way to nervous to carry it. I love the empreinte because it's subtle but you can still see the print clearly. I would go for one of those ;)

My DH bought one for me for V-Day in white. I'm scared to death to carry it due to color transfer and the cost. I just think it's crazy to spend that kind of money on a purse that I'll have to be so careful with. He chose the white color because of how the pattern shows through the best on the white compared to the black or sandy color. He also liked the fact it is MIF.

I have to admit it's so soft and squishy. I just love the feel of the Mahina leather and the silver hardware is a nice change from the usual gold on all other LVs. It's my first leather LV so I'm really excited but I wonder if I'd rather have a Metis? Any other suggestions of one you would trade for if you were in my position or would you just keep it and enjoy whenever you can? I don't baby my other LVs - I use them and enjoy carrying them without having to worry too much about what happens to them but at over $3500 for the Selene....YIKES!

Does anyone know of any new styles coming out in the next month or so in the US that would make a good swap?

I'm really torn on keeping it or trading for something different.

What a sweet DH! If you're worried about the colour transfer, I would exchange for a diff colour. Enjoy!

i think you should exchange it for a different color. you seem to love the bag but not the color. even with a darker shade the shape and pattern of the purse screams louis vuitton all over it.

I have for Mahinas and love them all to pieces but I personally don't think the Selene is worth almost $4000! Have you consider the Mahina L? I saw the new light color with silver hardwares!

I have the Mahina XS in white and have never had a problem with any color transfer, and believe it or not, I do not baby this bag, which I normally baby a lot of my bags. I love the Mahinas in the lighter colors. I find the Mahinas durable and easy to carry, too. It sounds like you got this pre price increase, so if you exchange for a different bag you will probably be paying the higher price unfortunately.

I have the Mahina XS in white and have never had a problem with any color transfer, and believe it or not, I do not baby this bag, which I normally baby a lot of my bags. I love the Mahinas in the lighter colors. I find the Mahinas durable and easy to carry, too. It sounds like you got this pre price increase, so if you exchange for a different bag you will probably be paying the higher price unfortunately.
Bagluv4ever; thank you so much for your reply. I had already decided this morning to keep the white Selene no matter what and after reading your post I know I made the right decision. The only other color to not worry about would've been the black and that one just doesn't show off the beautiful pattern of the mahina like the white does. My hubby said I could do what I wanted but I know he would've been greatly disappointed if I would've exchanged it. He was so proud of being able to get this LV for me and picking it out himself. He knows I may not carry it often (but then again maybe I will :graucho:). We did get this before the price increase so that was a little extra incentive to keep it since I've already got it. Who knows, maybe it will turn into my absolute fav and now all I'll want is mahina LV! Yikes

Bagluv4ever; thank you so much for your reply. I had already decided this morning to keep the white Selene no matter what and after reading your post I know I made the right decision. The only other color to not worry about would've been the black and that one just doesn't show off the beautiful pattern of the mahina like the white does. My hubby said I could do what I wanted but I know he would've been greatly disappointed if I would've exchanged it. He was so proud of being able to get this LV for me and picking it out himself. He knows I may not carry it often (but then again maybe I will :graucho:). We did get this before the price increase so that was a little extra incentive to keep it since I've already got it. Who knows, maybe it will turn into my absolute fav and now all I'll want is mahina LV! Yikes

I'm so happy to hear this! It really is quite a beautiful bag, and you're right, the black would not show the beautiful pattern, which is why I love the lighter colors. Again, I have not had a problem with my white XS, and it has the extender strap for shoulder and cross body, but I make sure that I don't wear dark blue denim when using this bag, and also don't wear a dark-dyed t-shirt that hasn't been washed much (I had a dark red one from James Perse last summer and I only washed it once, and I got red on my Azur Neverfull, but even then it wiped off with baby wipes). Really other than that, this type of leather is durable and you should not have any problems, including color transfer problems (you'd have more problems with white Vernis). You're a lucky girl! Congrats and enjoy your lovely bag! :smile: