Is LV Commonplace?

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
I went to Chicago over the weekend, and I had a fun time. I bought a new Prada wallet, and I love it. But as I was walking around, all you could see was LV. I'm sure a few were fake, but I saw everything from Speedy to Popincourt, to Mahina.... nearly every line! It reminded me of being back home and seeing Coach bags on every arm. It makes me think that LV is too easily accessible, and no longer special.

What are your thoughts on this?

No-one's completely original. I think to not carry a bag one truly likes because other people carry one like or similar to it, seems like a waste.

I always have some sentimental attachment or memory attached to my bag, whether it was an impulse buy with an awesome SA (MBMJ), for Grad but with a-less-than-enthusiastic SA (Chanel), something I excited scored at Winners or on Bluefly (RM), or something I got as a final gift from Gramps on vacation (my Bal.) I think a personal story attached to a bag - and I don't like to get attached to things, but none-the-less - adds a certain something that can make a bag one's own, even if it was an It bag at some point in time. My bags are special to me, even if they're just Bag #12663437 for the public.

Personally, I've gotten used to the fact, at some point in time, someone will be seen with my bag in the city. It happens. Providing we're not wearing near-identical outfits or look like the Bobsie Twins (or was it Bobsy?) I'm okay with it.

Though LV and Coach are both - for whatever reason - very popular here (I couldn't walk 5 minutes this afternoon to get a Subway sandwich and a Vanilla Coke without seeing three Mono Coach's), I still find LV classic. Worn with a more unique outfit, and I don't think anyone will notice that they saw two or three girls before you carrying a Speedy, as well.

where i live it's all about Coach also. i ended up selling all of my Coach bags about 4 years ago after having lunch one afternoon and realizing that probably 9 out of 10 bags in the restaurant were Coach. none of my friends carry LV and i doubt they'd recognize something that wasn't Monogram or Damier as LV. so for me the brand is still special but i understand how you must have felt after being surrounded by LV's all weekend.

That's so strange because I was born and raised in Chicago and rarely saw any LV bags. Lived in Wilmette and worked in Northbrook (both are well to do suburbs). Now that I'm in South Carolina - I see them everywhere!! For some reason though, I never see people with the same one I'm carrying. Either way - I don't mind!

Where I live it's also BMWs/Mercedes/Jaguars everywhere, Christian Louboutins everywhere & neighborhoods with the same 3-car garage designs. Best thing is to concentrate on & buy what YOU love or go with a custom design.

Cait said:
No-one's completely original. I think to not carry a bag one truly likes because other people carry one like or similar to it, seems like a waste.

I always have some sentimental attachment or memory attached to my bag, whether it was an impulse buy with an awesome SA (MBMJ), for Grad but with a-less-than-enthusiastic SA (Chanel), something I excited scored at Winners or on Bluefly (RM), or something I got as a final gift from Gramps on vacation (my Bal.) I think a personal story attached to a bag - and I don't like to get attached to things, but none-the-less - adds a certain something that can make a bag one's own, even if it was an It bag at some point in time. My bags are special to me, even if they're just Bag #12663437 for the public.

Personally, I've gotten used to the fact, at some point in time, someone will be seen with my bag in the city. It happens. Providing we're not wearing near-identical outfits or look like the Bobsie Twins (or was it Bobsy?) I'm okay with it.

Though LV and Coach are both - for whatever reason - very popular here (I couldn't walk 5 minutes this afternoon to get a Subway sandwich and a Vanilla Coke without seeing three Mono Coach's), I still find LV classic. Worn with a more unique outfit, and I don't think anyone will notice that they saw two or three girls before you carrying a Speedy, as well.

Just wanna say i totally agree with what you have said.

I live near Chicago so usually when I go into the city the bag I see a lot is the neverfull. I think that is because it is a good work bag. I haven't seen that many other LV bags. Coach...that is everywhere.

Depends on where you live. I see loads of LV and Coach (Toronto) but in some parts of Canada you never see any. It doesn't bother me to see other people with the same bag (just makes me think we both have good taste!), but on the other hand I do like my LAMBs because I can sometimes go weeks without seeing any other than my own.

Depends on where you live. I see loads of LV and Coach (Toronto) but in some parts of Canada you never see any. It doesn't bother me to see other people with the same bag (just makes me think we both have good taste!), but on the other hand I do like my LAMBs because I can sometimes go weeks without seeing any other than my own.

In montreal all I see is Hermes... its freaking everywhere (the evelyne )

When the speedy hit its height of popularity, I stopped carrying my bag for a while. I've brought it back out again now that they are less common. I still feel LV is special and I love carrying it.

OP - are you just tuned in to finding and looking at LV? Did you notice the number of Chanel, Prada, Jimmy Choo etc? Or is it just because you love LV so much you notice it more...

Just saying - I tend to notice LV bags more than others, because i love LV.