Is Luxury Pretty Much Over for You, Too?

Here just before the pandemic and when I was in classes (college) students were wearing goyard totes and common project shoes along with yeezys… and I’ve seen middle school age wear moncler… and 22 year olds wear prada nylon bags with range rovers…
I’ve seen college students get their luxury vehicles repossessed out of student parking lots on campus and when I was in undergrad, I had a friend who rented a gorgeous luxury apartment that she couldn’t actually afford in the long run. She moved in with a boyfriend a few months later. College students have access to large loans and don’t always use that money wisely. Things aren’t always as they appear.

I’ve seen college students get their luxury vehicles repossessed out of student parking lots on campus and when I was in undergrad, I had a friend who rented a gorgeous luxury apartment that she couldn’t actually afford in the long run. She moved in with a boyfriend a few months later. College students have access to large loans and don’t always use that money wisely. Things aren’t always as they appear.
Sometimes yes, but those girls i’m speaking of has houses in hillsborough on the low end, woodside or palo alto on the high end.

Also knew one driving a bmw while collecting $$ from the government.

'Social media has kind of deadened or lessened my desire to purchase a lot of things. I don’t know if it’s because I see too much of these things and then think they are uninteresting or boring. Maybe it’s the influencers who are constantly flexing and promoting that turns me off.' - Sadly I couldn't agree more the so called 'influencer' fad has just about killed it for me, it's too ubiquitous now.
It’s just a new way of what has been and continues to be, sheeps.

But there are those who are genuinely passionate about xyz and I always get a kick out of seeing through someone else’s eyes. I don’t necessarily buy, but I do like to hear other perspectives and expand or blend mine with theirs.

Just wanted to state there are still his people in the world. I live in urban downtown area. Not New York. I have had two episodes where I literally pass out and lose consciousness. The second time I was walking downtown and had just my LV wallet with me. I passed out and woke up to a homeless man helping me. He was so nice. Everyone asks if I called 911. No I just went home. . Turns out I have lost so much weight I no longer needed the blood pressure medicine I was on. So all around good news.
Meant to write “nice”. Sorry.

Sometimes yes, but those girls i’m speaking of has houses in hillsborough on the low end, woodside or palo alto on the high end.

Also knew one driving a bmw while collecting $$ from the government.
I understand, I know the examples I gave aren’t always the case.I’m just aware of how so many people work hard to project an image that isn’t actually their reality and get caught up in trying to keep up appearances.

I understand, I know the examples I gave aren’t always the case.I’m just aware of how so many people work hard to project an image that isn’t actually their reality and get caught up in trying to keep up appearances.
That’s very true. (Like that Beamer driver on government dime).

It was a bit more apparent in the pac heights and marina area of sf (the other cities are peninsula where homes > sf).

Reactions: JVSXOXO
Just wanted to state there are still his people in the world. I live in urban downtown area. Not New York. I have had two episodes where I literally pass out and lose consciousness. The second time I was walking downtown and had just my LV wallet with me. I passed out and woke up to a homeless man helping me. He was so nice. Everyone asks if I called 911. No I just went home. . Turns out I have lost so much weight I no longer needed the blood pressure medicine I was on. So all around good news.
Wow, I hope you are okay @SouthTampa. I’m glad you no longer need your blood pressure meds, but this sounds so scary. :hugs:

I remember a thread sometime in 2008 where people were talking about not wearing their nice things as often as they had previously. I think there was some recognition that there were people going through very hard times. I don't remember there being as much of a concern about being a target of robbery back then, but maybe I have forgotten that part.

I enjoy my nice items, but I am more comfortable using things that are not obvious for now. I am careful about how much jewelry I wear at one time. In general I am more low-key these days, not that I have ever been very over-the-top, but lately I just want to blend in, not draw attention to myself. I am fine with being invisible. Stealth mode works for me.

I am hopeful things will get better eventually, but it may take time. I remember how bad things were in the 70s, way back in the day, but then things turned around. We are going through a rough patch again now.

I remember a thread sometime in 2008 where people were talking about not wearing their nice things as often as they had previously. I think there was some recognition that there were people going through very hard times. I don't remember there being as much of a concern about being a target of robbery back then, but maybe I have forgotten that part.

I enjoy my nice items, but I am more comfortable using things that are not obvious for now. I am careful about how much jewelry I wear at one time. In general I am more low-key these days, not that I have ever been very over-the-top, but lately I just want to blend in, not draw attention to myself. I am fine with being invisible. Stealth mode works for me.

I am hopeful things will get better eventually, but it may take time. I remember how bad things were in the 70s, way back in the day, but then things turned around. We are going through a rough patch again now.
Same. Just trying not to get mugged whenever I leave the house is a win for me and I'm not flashy at all. Crime is just way up. They steal any bling, phones, purses, pups, etc you name it.