Is Lindy the best alternative to Birkin?

geminisparklers

Bougainvilla garden!
Jun 20, 2007
Read the Bagsnob today and they were saying the Lindy is the younger representation of the Birkin. And it's gaining foothold.

What do you think?

If you cannot score a birkin(be it 30, 35 or HAC), would you go for a Lindy as an alternative?

Lindy is my favorite style anyway. So, perhaps I'm biased. :biggrin: Plus, there are always at least 4 on display at my local store, so I have plenty to drool over every time I visit.

IMO Birkin (or HAC) is the style of it's own and can't really be substituted as long as you want it in particular. Lindy is very different in look and style from Birkin so I wouldn't just settle for it in terms of substitution but...I would totally get the Lindy for itself :biggrin:

As I would get the Lindy for itself, I do not agree it's the younger representation of the BIRKIN....
Each style has its own look and function.

I could not give up my Kellys for any Birkin, neither could I give up my Birkins for any Lindy....

Quite frankly I think the Bolide could be an better alternative to a Birkin, because of its kind of tote shape...

I wouldn't really compare these two, but I love Lindy as well. Most of the time I use my Birkins or my HAC, but Lindy is something to wear daily too. Lindy looks great in bright colors! Lindy is nice, trendy, slouchy and holds a lot, though Birkin is better for documents. I find that Lindy gives me a "younger" look than the Birkin.

As I would get the Lindy for itself, I do not agree it's the younger representation of the BIRKIN....
Each style has its own look and function.

I could not give up my Kellys for any Birkin, neither could I give up my Birkins for any Lindy....

Quite frankly I think the Bolide could be an better alternative to a Birkin, because of its kind of tote shape...
Agreed :tup:

I am with all the ladies here. The Lindy is no alternative to the Birkin. Both styles have their own distinct presence.

Come Autumn, there will be a sling Birkin, which I think will take off as the Birkin for the younger women. But the price will still be very close to a classic Birkin.

Perhaps the Lindy is rapidly garnering the popularity of a Birkin but I feel that it is in no way an alternative. IMO, the two bags do not lend themselves to an equal comparison. Like mentioned above, they have different looks, purposes and each contributes an image of luxury to the brand in its own way.

The Birkin has always been a dream bag to me. I've never seen one (or a Kelly) at a boutique. When I purchased my Lindy, the shape and style spoke to me. It doesn't scream "Hermes" to me and the markings are very subtle. It could be because the color is so neutral (dare I say bland,) but if it were in Hermes Orange (sorry, I'm such a newbie that I don't know the names of the colors or leathers) or the gorgeous blue that I almost bought, it would give a way the designer name!
I carry LVs, Chanels, Coaches, L.A.M.B.s, Cole Haans all the time. My Lindy could be an everyday bag that could take me anywhere. I intend to use and enjoy it for a very long time. It's a great coincidence that it happens to be almost the same color as a Coach retired grey that I still use. I got it over 20 years ago and it's my favorite brief case. Evidently Coach had a dye issue with the color and stopped production.... Sorry to have gotten off topic. I hope the Lindy is not considered too young for this old lady!
--Judy

I think the Lindy/Birkin comparison is totally apples to oranges. They are totally different bags that work in completely different ways. I think H fans love and appreciate them both for their unique design and use. They may just say that Lindy is the best alternative to the Birkin because you can usually get them on the shelf at H boutiques (if you're not searching for a specific size/color/leather).