Is Lindy the best alternative to Birkin?

As it is true that the Birkin has become the grail bag of the late ten years , and the Lindy about one year, Hermes has been producing the Kelly for about 60 years !!!!

Let's hope that the Birkin and the Lyndy will have such a long carreer !!!

I don't think the Lindy is in the same class as a Birkin. It's a new bag for Hermes and no one knows if it will have lasting value and style.

If you can't get a Birkin, why not get a Kelly? It's the other Hermes bag that is iconic (some would say even more than a Birkin as it's been around a LONG time). They are easier to get. They have the added advantage of being both a hand/arm bag AND a shoulder bag.

If you can't find that either, than I agree with others - get a Bolide.

I think they are too different to be comparable. I don't see the Lindy as being as universal as the Birkin. The Birkin tends to look good with all body types. The Lindy, in my opinion, does not look good with curvy bodies (like mine) because it is already so curved.

In France, it seems the younger Chanel set (teens & early/mid twenties) are forgoing the lambskin and caviar leathers for the Cambon line, whose popularity in the US has been languishing. They see it as a younger, hipper Chanel.

Perhaps this is the suggestion behind this argument... The younger Hermes crowd is forgoing the waiting lists and exclusivity of design for a line a little more available, which the Lindy certainly is. That's way they get a fabulous new style and quality workmanship with less fuss and politics.

Which seems logical and quite admirable to me. If you can't get a Birkin, the Lindy is a fun, fresh new bag. I say power to them!

Wow, I am getting so much from this discussion and have decided to prioritise as such

Top on the list -> Birkin
Next -> Kelly
Otherwise -> Lindy

Oops! Hope I don't offend any Lindy diehards here!:rolleyes:

No bag should be treated as an alternative to an other, just my two cents here. Both Lindy and Birkin are gorgoues and they are totally two different style.

Go with what your :heart: says!

I love both Lindy AND Birkin.

Yes, my heart shall decide what's best for me(that must be coupled with the availability at the H store!!)...but I am still thankful to all of you for offering your heartfelt advices here :flowers:

I am with all the ladies here. The Lindy is no alternative to the Birkin. Both styles have their own distinct presence.

Come Autumn, there will be a sling Birkin, which I think will take off as the Birkin for the younger women. But the price will still be very close to a classic Birkin.

The sling birkin is then an alternative to the classic birkin. Lindy and birkin are two different styles.

Off topic: The sling birkin is something worth to be collected because like the shoulder birkin, I don't think the sling birkin order will be available forever.