Is kelly 35 too big?

hobo7

Apr 12, 2008
I have been looking for kelly 32 but unfortunately the color I like is only available in size 35. I am wondering if size 35 would be big for my frame ( I am only 5'3" and 116lbs). Some Birkin 35 works on me depending on the color, say blue jean is ok but not the green. The kelly I'd like to get is tosca or pink in togo. For those of you who have Kelly, please share your thoughts. Should I get the pink kelly 35 or should I wait until the smaller size available? For reference, I can never pull off the Chanel maxi as I thought the bag is too big and too square on me, but I am very happy with Chanel jumbo size. Hermes kelly 35 is even bigger than Chanel maxi, but maybe the shape is different so I can carry it handheld or across the body? Please help me as this would be my first Kelly. Thanks

I'm 5'1" and have a 35 kelley. I had a smaller one but never used it so I sold it. I really love the 35. It's the classic shape. The gal who bought my 32 actually wanted the 35. I've also had people approach and ask me to sell my bag to them (it's the absolute black), I think the 35 holds its value and is the most sought after (not that I want to sell or anything). I also have several jumbos and I agree that it's the perfect size in chanel. Good luck

I have 2 35 Kelly's with a third on the way, now I am tall, so to me they are more of an out to dinner bag. I also have a 40 Kelly that I wear as an everyday bag. So I think a 40 on me wouldn't look much different than a 35 on you. By the way the 35 really is a lovely practical bag, now you didn't say whether is was a retourne or a sellier. A sellier does look bigger than a retourne, so maybe you would find a retourne would be a better fit for you.

Lilith1 is right-- is the bag the sellier (rigid) or retourne (soft) style?

I think a Kelly 35 can be worn by anyone, but on someone more petite like yourself, it's going to look more casual than on a larger lady. It's much harder (though not impossible) to make a sellier Kelly look casual compared to a retourne, so it might be a little big, IMO.

That said, if you really love the bag, whatever style or size it is, and you feel you would wear and enjoy it, don't pay any heed of my opinion or anyone else's. ;D

I too like a Kelly in a 35 size, especially if I'm using it as a daily bag and not a going out bag. The 35 size Kelly holds the same amount as a 30 Birkin, IMHO. I'm 5'3" without heels.

I am 5'3" on a good day and I have a 40 Kelly. A 35 is not too big - it is ideal.

you are too funny MB :roflmfao:
so, I'm 5'4" on a good day and I use a 32
35 looks a little brief-casey on me
I think that 32 is a good day/night bag, but if I were to carry a 35, using it for dinner might be too big
I have small bones though (100lbs or so) so that also affects the proportion.

I agree with Brooklynite, I'm 5'4" also and the 32 is much better-proportioned for me.

I had the same dilemma as you do; waiting for my 32 for such a long time, when a 35 showed up in the right color.
It was such a regret purchase - I had to sell it, and finally my 32 came in.

Also, Lala,I think comparing what the bags carry depends upon Sellier/Retourne. I regularly carry either a 30cm Birkin
or a 32cm Sellier Kelly, and they hold about the same. I'm sure a Retourne would hold more, and a 35cm Retourne
would hold significantly more.

it definitely depends on whether its a sellier or retourne 35 kelly... i personally find the 35 sellier a bit too large and boxy looking, but the 35 retourne is a really good size for everyday use, and looks incredibly chic! However my favourite size is still the 32, but the 35 retourne comes a very close second.

Yup 35 K is a gd size for work if it's a retourne style but I prefer it in darker colors. If it's pop color, I find it a bit overwhelming.