Is just me or is the leather nothing special?

Betsy2712

Mulberry Addict
O.G.
Nov 28, 2010
Hi all

Just wondering whether it was only me thinking the leather isn't what it used to be at first glance?

Had a mooch around yesterday and must say was disappointed. The leathers in most bags are matte and just well dull. Examples - Black Lily and Daria Clutch

What do you think??

Yeah, I'm not a fan either generally. I looked at the Dorset tote online and thought it would be a nice supple nappa, and when I went to feel it in the store, it felt almost plasticky. Really disappointing.

Although I quite like the Spongy Pebbled on the Effie satchel. I used to have a Daria hobo in Soft Spongy that was also lovely.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either generally. I looked at the Dorset tote online and thought it would be a nice supple nappa, and when I went to feel it in the store, it felt almost plasticky. Really disappointing.

Although I quite like the Spongy Pebbled on the Effie satchel. I used to have a Daria hobo in Soft Spongy that was also lovely.

I have a black wallet in the soft spongey and it is lovely. I have a nice soft goat in the Bayswater wallet clutch. I do remember eyeing the Effie east / wear but was unable to get it before they stopped making it. I really wanted that one.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

I do agree! I think that the Matt leather will mark/scuff easily and remember this being the last of the sale items left in a few stores that I visited.
I'm rapidly becoming a fan of the pebbled leather on any unstructured bag- like effie for example.

Totally agree, they all seem over processed to me. Also they don't seem to smell of leather anymore. I'm not sure if I have a fetish, but when I see a good quality leather bag, I feel the urge to touch and smell it.

They almost fell and look like pleather. I know effie isn't everyone's favourite, but these are the only bags that look, feel and smell like leather IMO now

I know I'm biased but my new BF Lexi is an amazing example of mulberry of old and the new leather just doesn't do it for me

It still smells divine and when you think about it, although it was new and unused , its still been sitting around 2+ years since production, it still hasn't lost its leather smell.

I know I'm really picky about marks in the leather, but I do like it to look natural and not over processed

I had a look at Mulberry in Selfridges. I thought the new polished buffalo Alexas had a bit of a plastic feel and look to them. I do like the goat leather, its light and durable but you can't beat a good Darwin or the NVT leathers.

Thanks ladies I am a little disappointed especially when I compare to what I have. Makes me want to hold onto them all even though I may not use them that often.

I do like the Suffolk, but agree, matte leather makes me think the bag will scuff easily.

I love the new polished buffalo on the latest Alexas and have just invested in a midnight blue one, having sold my previous Foggy Grey because I didn't really like the old softer buffalo. I wasn't a fan of the silky calf on the Pavement Grey Alexa, that was very matte and I immediately thought it would be prone to scratches and other marks. I think the polished buffalo will wear well though, it seems a lot sturdier than the soft buffalo. I guess it's all personal preference though. I like leather to be quite soft but also have structure and I was never a fan of the way the soft buffalo really went out of shape on the older Alexas, especially when the shoulder strap was used. The sides of the bag got stretched out and made it look like it had ears! I also have two Balenciaga bags and don't object to the slouching on those at all but when it comes to Mulberry, I definitely want a firmer and more structured leather.

Reading this post with interest - I am relatively new to Mulberry so have no experience of older models and to me the leather is amazing so it is quite surprising to me to see comments about feeling plasticky and not smelling as good. The older products must have been out of this world!

Hi all

Just wondering whether it was only me thinking the leather isn't what it used to be at first glance?

Had a mooch around yesterday and must say was disappointed. The leathers in most bags are matte and just well dull. Examples - Black Lily and Daria Clutch

What do you think??
I love the spongy pebbled leather. Just returned a black Dorset tote to Kafka which I think was in Nappa leather, it felt so thin and slouchy I couldn't justify keeping it even at such a good price. I'm going to keep pennies for a Lily in the sale hopefully...

Hi all, I'm very new on here and although I read the posts quite frequently, I haven't really been brave enough to join in! I have to comment on this though :smile: I sold my alexa as I was concerned about the durability and have since bought two roxannes. One in vanilla darwin and one in ginger darwin. The ginger one in particular has aged and softened beautifully and still smells fantastic every time I open it. I am seriously in love with that bag and should probably be locked up! ;)

I agree, I have a medium Lily in goat. I do love the bag but the leather compared to my older Mulberry bags just doesn't compare.

It's very stiff, doesn't have that lovely leather smell and has a plasticky feel to the finish. It's a disappointment and I do wonder how it will age.