Is Italy safe to ship to?

fantastic_3

Feb 10, 2007
I just sold an LV to Italy this morning. I was wondering if Italy is a safe place to ship to. I know that there are some countries that sellers won't ship to. My invoice already states that I will only accpet paypal with confirmed and verified address only. What are your opinions?

i don't think you can have a confirmed or verified international address, so that will be an issue if it is one of your conditions.

i don't know about italy shipping. definetly insure and tracking if possible.

i refuse to sell international due to all the scams.

good luck!

No , your Italian buyer will not have a confirmed address. If you do not have the Power seller protection on unconfirmed address, I'd not encourage you to ship there. If she files a claim against you, you will lose the case IMMEDIATELY and be out both the item AND the money. Either have her pay in other payment methods, or cancel the transaction if you're not ready to lose the item/money. Protect yourself.

I no longer ship to italy. I got scammed hard. I shipped my ring (value of $800) to buyer via USPS with insurance, delivery confirmation. They paid with paypal. It was two weeks, there was three attempts to deliver and it was being held at customs. They filed a cliam with paypal. Which they took money out right away. They won there claim because I didn't have proof that they recieved it cuz it was still in customs. They got awarded the money and then magically they picked it up at customs. And I'm out $800. I had paypal look into it for me and she closed her paypal account right away. 2 months later i'm still duking it out with paypal.:tdown::crybaby:

I have shipped to Italy but only accepted Bank Wire for the purchase. I clearly told the buyer that I was in no way responsible for the bag once it left my possesion. I did declare full value, only 300.00 US and insured the package, sent it USPS Express, she got it in 4 days and was thrilled. She did not have to pay a dime in duty.

Cheers,

I no longer ship to italy. I got scammed hard. I shipped my ring (value of $800) to buyer via USPS with insurance, delivery confirmation. They paid with paypal. It was two weeks, there was three attempts to deliver and it was being held at customs. They filed a cliam with paypal. Which they took money out right away. They won there claim because I didn't have proof that they recieved it cuz it was still in customs. They got awarded the money and then magically they picked it up at customs. And I'm out $800. I had paypal look into it for me and she closed her paypal account right away. 2 months later i'm still duking it out with paypal.:tdown::crybaby:
that is a horrible story. I dont know how these people sleep at night. Sorry it happened to you.

As I had thought, her paypal is not confirmed nor verified. I will refund immediately, either she will wire money over or I will cancel the transaction. Too many scary scam stories going on these days.

If you go to ebay forums Italy is one of the countries that not many sellers send to. I had a buyer not long ago and after reading up and researching I was really scared to send to italy. I finally sent it international signed for with full insurance. I even googled the address to make sure that the address exisisted. Anyway all was well and bag was recieved. Happy Buyer and happy me.

I have had a bag go missing in France though.

I am Italian and live in Italy, and I know what you are talking about... but so far, I bought at least 70 items (clothing and accessories) in the US, all paid via Paypal (in Europe, except the UK, the option of having one's address confirmed by Paypal is not provided), and have always received them... sometimes late and only twice with customs fees. The only item I never received is the one that the US seller had never sent .... So, it much depends on the honesty and patience of the the buyer.

I understand that Italy doesn't have confirmed paypal address and this buyer can be a total honest person. However, my auction clearly stated that paypal payment MUST be confirmed and verified or else pay by bank wire transfer. He/she should atleast read properly as she/he is a seller also. Unfortunately there are too many scams out there these days, I must protect myself first. It is several $$$ and not just a few $$$.

Do a search on here for Italy - there have been lots of problems.
One thing is that their customs take forever! So your buyer needs to know that it might be a while before they get the merch.

Thanks for all the info regarding Italy guys, I had no idea about the restrictions on leather goods etc. good to know. Having lived in Rome myself I am very familiar with how the post office works (customs, police etc) and sometimes it´s just a roll of the dice unfortunately,

Kat