Is it worth the risk to sell Internationally?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

From that link:

Covered
Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

• An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing
  • A case is opened no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or for tickets, 7 days after the event
  • The purchase was made with the Pay Now option or an eBay invoice
  • One of the following payment methods was used:
    • PayPal
    • ProPay
    • Skrill
    • Credit card or debit card
    • Bill Me Later
  • The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with Bill Me Later)

Timelines

Timelines for buyers:
Opening a case when an item isn't received:

• A buyer can open a case after an item's estimated delivery date. If no estimated delivery date is provided, a buyer can open a case 7 days after paying for an item if the item was shipped domestically, or 30 days after paying for an item if the item was shipped internationally.
  • A buyer must open a case no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date*.
I have no idea how they estimated the delivery date for Russia. She paid on May 5 exactly. I shipped via USPS Express mail on the 5th. The case was opened on June 24. (There are 31 days in the month May). So actually sorry she opened her case out of the blue on the 50 day exactly.

Woaaahhh...I always thought 'item not received' was covered by PayPal or eBay.

Isn't that part of the insurance?
All I know is PP and ebay almost never pay anything out of their own pocket. Buyer may not know this but they force the money out of the seller's pocket. Fair or unfair.
So that is what ebay money back guarantee truly is.

I responded to a tpf'er who wanted to buy a chanel m/l white caviar flap. After much negotiating we agreed on a price. I told her I would accept payment via bank or money order, personal check but not Paypal. Well stupid me, I acquiesced on the paypal because she said she had no protection. We gets the bag which thankfully I sent with signature confirmation and writes me the day she received it saying she doesn't want it, that I misrepresented the purse, which I did not but jumping to the real issue is Paypal always siding with the buyer and not the seller. I did a web search to see if anyone has sued PP and won. The answer is yes. People file a lawsuit in their state's small claims court. I did not search the topic of bringing suit in instances where the buyer is in another country. There are alternatives to using PP; however, not if you are selling on ebay since the two are basically one.

Last edited:
Woaaahhh...I always thought 'item not received' was covered by PayPal or eBay.

Isn't that part of the insurance?

No, that's why sellers have to provide proof of delivery, i.e. tracking number, signature confirmation for items $750+. If the item is lost or not delivered and the seller has bought insurance the seller has to file a claim through the carrier in order to get the $.

There are alternatives to using PP; however, not if you are selling on ebay since the two are basically one.
This isn't accurate.

Although PP is the biggest, there are other accepted payment methods:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

iconAllowed_25x25.gif

Allowed

• PayPal
  • ProPay
  • Skrill
  • Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
  • Payment upon pickup
  • Bill Me Later
If you offer payment upon pickup, you may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

No, that's why sellers have to provide proof of delivery, i.e. tracking number, signature confirmation for items $750+. If the item is lost or not delivered and the seller has bought insurance the seller has to file a claim through the carrier in order to get the $.

Oh my goodness..news to me. How silly of me not to know this. Thanks for the info.

If I'm the buyer, am I automatically covered if my item gets lost?

Sorry for the questions. I've gone into panic mode as I've always thought I'm covered either way, as a seller and buyer.

Thanks again

I probably won't ship internationally again. My buyer was upset by the extra fees and now the package is sitting at the post office waiting for her to pick it up. SHe had sent me an email that her son was home and did notsign because it would have cost 65.00. I haven;t heard back from the buyer and the package is still there. I just have to sit and wait for 14 plus days to see when and if she picks it up. Then I have to hope I get it back. I am sure I will be forced to return her payment. I only hope I am not out of 80.00 in shipping there and back (I used express with sig confirmation). Really not fair.

I probably won't ship internationally again. My buyer was upset by the extra fees and now the package is sitting at the post office waiting for her to pick it up. SHe had sent me an email that her son was home and did notsign because it would have cost 65.00. I haven;t heard back from the buyer and the package is still there. I just have to sit and wait for 14 plus days to see when and if she picks it up. Then I have to hope I get it back. I am sure I will be forced to return her payment. I only hope I am not out of 80.00 in shipping there and back (I used express with sig confirmation). Really not fair.

I have a 20% restocking fee stated in my policies for situations like this, and don't refund shipping. It makes no sense to me why you would pay money to end up with nothing rather than pay the duties, but it still happens occasionally.

I have a 20% restocking fee stated in my policies for situations like this, and don't refund shipping. It makes no sense to me why you would pay money to end up with nothing rather than pay the duties, but it still happens occasionally.

Thank you so much, that is a great idea. I really am surprised as she was so excited to get the sunglasses and she knew she could end up with fees. I guess all I can do is wait until the package is picked up or I get them back.

Tell me about it. But at least you know where your package is for now.