Is it worth saving money for a haircut and coloring?

lovelypinkx

Feb 15, 2010
So, I've been stuck on deciding on whether I should get my haircut and hair color done by professional stylists who have had years of experience and have worked around internationally and in fashion shows or just get it done by stylists who are cheaper and have no information about experience wise/have less than 5 years of experience. I've never been to a professional stylist before and I've only have heard of great reviews for a few of them. The haircut ranges from $90 and above and the hair coloring costs at least $150 for the professional stylists. Is it worth saving up for that or just go for something cheaper?

I love going to the hairdressers (I go every week for something or other). I pay $250 for a cut and colour, and I think it's worth it, so I say go for it. Give it a try and see what you think. Good luck with it.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on your hair. You might not want to go back once you get it done by a professional. For a special occasion or just because you want to, I'd go for it.

I have gone to a few pretty expensive places for haircuts (as well as a few dirt cheap places) and the best cut I found was $40 (and she is consistently good at cutting my hair!). I regretted all of the pricier cuts. But those were just the places I went to. I think experience and the ability to listen to and understand you is what is more important than the price.

YES! it is. There is nothing like an amazing haircut. It grows out better, is easier to maintain, is suited specifically to you and will make you feel great. I don't like shelling out $250 for a haircut but I do because I remember how crappy the other cuts I've had were in comparison.

ITA! My stylist cuts and colors my hair so that it's minimal maintenance and will still look good in 2-3 months. I just got my cut and color done last week and I feel like a new person. :smile: But you have to be comfortable with your stylist...that means good communication. You need to be clear on what you want and what you don't want.

I think you should at least try it, I have had very very expensive cuts and color and some that were more reasonably priced. The most expensive weren't always the best and the lower priced ones weren't always disasters. But I definitely agree with other posters in the thinking that the cuts tend to grow out better and the color seems to look more natural--if that's what you're going for--and your hair tends to not dry out too much. All of this is just what I have dealt with, a friend of mine recently went to a jr stylist and paid $40 for a haircut and honestly it looks great. All depends on what exactly you're looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

I would try it - like talexs, I have had expensive cuts that were meh, others that were absolutely fantastic, and $30-40 haircuts that were very good. I will even cop to an $8 haircut (yes, you read that correctly) that looked exactly as much as it cost me. :wtf:

For me, the main reason to get an excellent haircut is so that it grows out better - in fact, if you get your hair cut less frequently but by a better stylist, it may actually end up costing you less in the long run (or at least not any more) in terms of overall number of hair cuts, products that you need to put in your hair in order to coax it into a style in between cuts, and of course time and frustration.

Please keep us posted! :smile:

In my experience, the quality of your haircut does not necessarily correspond to how much you spend on it. My stylist charges me $55 for a haircut that looks amazing, grows out beautifully, and is perfectly suited to my hair type and lifestyle. It took me years to find her. The reason she does such a good job on my hair is that we communicate well and she listens to what I want. I've gone to more expensive stylists who didn't listen well, and would give me cuts that needed blow-drying, products, and styling that I would never ever do.
My advice would be to look beyond the price tag- it's an indicator of the quality, but personality is just as important. See if you can talk to the stylist for a couple minutes before booking an appointment, explain what you want and see what she/he suggests. Check Yelp or ask friends for reviews of their stylists. You may have to try a few before you find the right fit for you.

I've been to several award-winning hairdressers, averaging about £150 for just a cut. I've also been to your average, high street chain hairdresser. Was the overall experience better in the more expensive one? Yes. Did they give a better blow dry and finish? Yes. Was the cut really any better? I don't think so.
I agree it's all about finding a hairdresser that listens to you, works with your specific hair and tries to give you what you want. I've found my perfect hairdresser now, and she's kind of middle of the road price-wise. So I don't always think that paying more = better results.
However, when it comes to colour, I think it is very important to fully trust the person doing it and to make sure they are experienced - but again, that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive one.
If I were you, I'd go for a few consultations at different hairdressers and just see which one you get the best vibe from. :smile:

I've been to several award-winning hairdressers, averaging about £150 for just a cut. I've also been to your average, high street chain hairdresser. Was the overall experience better in the more expensive one? Yes. Did they give a better blow dry and finish? Yes. Was the cut really any better? I don't think so.
I agree it's all about finding a hairdresser that listens to you, works with your specific hair and tries to give you what you want. I've found my perfect hairdresser now, and she's kind of middle of the road price-wise. So I don't always think that paying more = better results.
However, when it comes to colour, I think it is very important to fully trust the person doing it and to make sure they are experienced - but again, that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive one.
If I were you, I'd go for a few consultations at different hairdressers and just see which one you get the best vibe from. :smile:

I agree with everything with annaspanna has written.

What I'd like to add is don't jump into a color right off the bat. Get to know your hairdresser first and get them to know you too. Tell them what you're interested in color wise and see if they are listening to you. If they keep going...ya, ya, ya, uh huh, while cutting your hair then they're not listening. They should focus on what you're saying and after you finished talking ask them what they think (no holds barred) and what they feel would look good on you.
I love my hairdresser. She "always" listens to what I have to say first about a new color/cut I'm interested in (I always bring in a picture) then she gives me her honest opinion. She will always tell me if she thinks it will look like sh** on me, or if the cut will be to high maintenance.

I agree. You just have to find the right hairdresser who you are able to communicate with easily. It took me years (and several bad haircuts) to find the right one. So why not give it a try at least once? If all else fails with that hair cut, then find another hairstylist :smile: